Is McGregor genetically unable to increase his stamina?

He probably has a higher proportion of fast to slow twitch muscle fibers. You can change this through training but gaining more cardio may come at a cost of reducing power/speed. I don't think his cardio is as bad as people make out. Against Diaz too he was very dangerous for the first too rounds and most fighters wouldn't survive that onslaught as most don't have a chin like Nate but even if they do survive the first 2 rounds Conor has shown he still has enough in the tank to grind out a decision win.

Connor does not have good stamina, because his big irish balls are too heavy to carry.

He needs to chose muscles or cardio and he chooses muscles...

Yep.....add muscle and it almost expontentially Decreases cardio. Kinda like pushing weights. You can do 30 pullups. add 25lb and all of a sudden your doing 12. Its the same with the heart and lungs. You add Muscle and When You USE that extra Muscle its much more taxing on the cardio...heart/lungs. imo also when you add muscle ,psychologically ITS TO USE. Pacing is a big issue then. I added 25lb of muscle via weights and trt. Loved the strength. But ,IF/When I spazed,, I gassed and gassed hard in bjj training... and I trained and trained my cardio. Use All my muscle/strength GAS FAST AS FUK. Never could change that. I have decided to go back to Normal. Skinny ,conditioned,NO BULK and see what my cardio is

Thats the favorite excuse of fat people to not lose weight too. "genetically unable", the so called fat gene. People are always so quick to submit to the body and reject the power of mind over matter.

Mental toughness plays a big factor in someones "cardio". People think Conor is mentally strong because hes a loudmouth but the reality is hes a mentally weak frontrunner that panics and folds when someone can take his shots or make him miss and walks him down. That mental defeat can give the appearance of "gassing" and the onset of panic from the mental defeat will increase heart rate and breathing which can lead to actual gassing but its still rooted in the mental weakness. Hes also admitted to being daunted by the number of rounds left in the fight once he reaches the middle rounds. Again, another mental weakness that will give the appearance of gassing. He can go all day long when hes the one dishing it out, but as Floyd said you gotta be able to take it too.

Plus hes surrounded by yes men. Very similar case to BJ Penn.

You think Roy Nelson or Mark Hunt has amazing cardio? No theyre just mentally tough as fuck and pushes through the fatigue and remain totally undaunted through whatever is thrown at them. Im sure their physical cardio/endurance conditioning is good but its nothing amazing and yet they never appear as gassed as Conor who is 155lbs lean as fuck. Even going 5 hard rounds in absolute wars. Similar with Nate. I doubt his physical conditioning is like way better than Conors. Hes just a guy thats never gonna quit of fold under pressure. Some guys are just more comfortable with pain than others.

So many armchair strength and conditioning experts on Sherdog. He had an ACL repair, which is one of the most invasive joint surgeries you can have. Running is fucking terrible for the knees and hips. Obviously he doesn't want to go the Shogun/Cruz route and shorten his career with road work.

This whole running = MMA cardio nonsense was started by old school boxers and MT fighters. Sure, its a good way to lift V02 levels, but you know what else constant long distance running does? It reduces explosive power; is, you can't jump as high or kick as hard. Its been proven that long distsnce running lowers your verticsl leap. You also deplete energy levels that could otherwise be used to train in more sport specific conditioning.

Plenty of fighters have bad knees and don't run. I trained with guys who never ran due to knee problems (other than warm ups) and can go 5 rounds easily. There's elite guys in the UFC who probably don't run much. Its not like that's the be all and end all of cardio. The only cardio that running every day will increase is your running cardio. There's a shitload of reasons not to excessively run as a pro athlete whose sport doesn't require running at all.

Connor's problem has more to do with his yes men in camp and his style. You can't be throwing KO blows every strike and expect to keep that pace for 25 minutes. There's a reason he puts guys away in the first two rounds 90% of the time but finds himself gassed in championship rounds.

Michael Bisping = armchair strength and conditioning expert sherdogger lol

Thats the favorite excuse of fat people to not lose weight too. "genetically unable", the so called fat gene. People are always so quick to submit to the body and reject the power of mind over matter.

Mental toughness plays a big factor in someones "cardio". People think Conor is mentally strong because hes a loudmouth but the reality is hes a mentally weak frontrunner that panics and folds when someone can take his shots or make him miss and walks him down. That mental defeat can give the appearance of "gassing" and the onset of panic from the mental defeat will increase heart rate and breathing which can lead to actual gassing but its still rooted in the mental weakness. Hes also admitted to being daunted by the number of rounds left in the fight once he reaches the middle rounds. Again, another mental weakness that will give the appearance of gassing. He can go all day long when hes the one dishing it out, but as Floyd said you gotta be able to take it too.

You think Roy Nelson or Mark Hunt has amazing cardio? No theyre just mentally tough as fuck and pushes through the fatigue and remain totally undaunted through whatever is thrown at them. Im sure their physical cardio/endurance conditioning is good but its nothing amazing and yet they never appear as gassed as Conor who is 155lbs lean as fuck. Even going 5 hard rounds in absolute wars. Similar with Nate. I doubt his physical conditioning is like way better than Conors. Hes just a guy thats never gonna quit of fold under pressure. Some guys are just more comfortable with pain than others.

The FAT GENE is between their ears. They have no control on their eating. It amazes me when FAT people say IT CAN"T BE HELPED. They ususally go crossed eyed when told. YOU CAN'T GET FAT EATING CALORIE DEFICIT............period. Some Fat people act like breating makes them fat... DenialFiends..

Also Roy Nelson and Mark Hunt NEVER SPAZ. They always Pace themselves ..ALWAYS. And yes they are tough as fuk mentally. I saw a Fat Roy Nelson grapple Frank-dabody-Mir gassed the whole time and still made DABODY mir look like an amateur. He did the same with Diego Sanchez. Diego was like a tazmanian devil. Roy was gassed the whole time AND still outpointed diego MASSIVELY.

We have this 62 year old lady at work that runs marathons. She isn't some genetic freak, but just dedicated.

Conor needs to run, run and run to improve his cardio. No freaking rowing or walking underwater or some other stuff which does not translate well to boxing/mma. He is too busy being experimental instead of being practical.

I haven't posted in years but this retarded post made me log in again. You obviously do not train, nor have you ever. Put this woman in an MMA fight and she would gas quickly. Just because someone can run a marathon at an extremely slow pace does mean they have the cardio to handle an MMA fight, with it's unique mix of aerobic and anaerobic cardio demands. Cardio training for MMA is unique and extremely difficult, and if you don't pace yourself, you will gas, no matter how hard you train. Just "getting on the treadmill" does not cut it, and again, exposes your extreme ignorance in this regard. You, and anyone who agrees with you have no clue about MMA training whatsoever.

In the Joe Rogan podcast with Cody Joe was talking about how he said Conor doesn't do sprints.

So many armchair strength and conditioning experts on Sherdog. He had an ACL repair, which is one of the most invasive joint surgeries you can have. Running is fucking terrible for the knees and hips. Obviously he doesn't want to go the Shogun/Cruz route and shorten his career with road work.

This whole running = MMA cardio nonsense was started by old school boxers and MT fighters. Sure, its a good way to lift V02 levels, but you know what else constant long distance running does? It reduces explosive power; is, you can't jump as high or kick as hard. Its been proven that long distsnce running lowers your verticsl leap. You also deplete energy levels that could otherwise be used to train in more sport specific conditioning.

Plenty of fighters have bad knees and don't run. I trained with guys who never ran due to knee problems (other than warm ups) and can go 5 rounds easily. There's elite guys in the UFC who probably don't run much. Its not like that's the be all and end all of cardio. The only cardio that running every day will increase is your running cardio. There's a shitload of reasons not to excessively run as a pro athlete whose sport doesn't require running at all.

Connor's problem has more to do with his yes men in camp and his style. You can't be throwing KO blows every strike and expect to keep that pace for 25 minutes. There's a reason he puts guys away in the first two rounds 90% of the time but finds himself gassed in championship rounds.

Thank you.

What do I think?I think people (on here is for sure the highest ratio) are retarded.If you go 90% for a round or two while another fighter is going 70% and they end up looking better the guy who burned his gas simply has cardio problems?You're an idiot.Is this not super simple?Are people really this stupid?Go in the gym,hit the pavement,get a shit punching bag,do anything at 100% for 5 minutes and get back to me fatty

I really don't want to be rude but please use your brain.

Yeah, but I don’t think what Conor does constitutes as 100% VO2 MAX effort and yet he gasses as if he sprinted up Mt. Everest.

Its instinctively how he fights, he loads up with his hands so much he exerts more oxygen and hes been fighting that way for too long to change now.

Yep.....add muscle and it almost expontentially Decreases cardio. Kinda like pushing weights. You can do 30 pullups. add 25lb and all of a sudden your doing 12. Its the same with the heart and lungs. You add Muscle and When You USE that extra Muscle its much more taxing on the cardio...heart/lungs. imo also when you add muscle ,psychologically ITS TO USE. Pacing is a big issue then. I added 25lb of muscle via weights and trt. Loved the strength. But ,IF/When I spazed,, I gassed and gassed hard in bjj training... and I trained and trained my cardio. Use All my muscle/strength GAS FAST AS FUK. Never could change that. I have decided to go back to Normal. Skinny ,conditioned,NO BULK and see what my cardio is
Good post

He's not lazy; he's genetically unable to fire his sh*t-for-brains coaches.

saying homeboy can't improve his stamina is like fat people saying "but mah genetics". Both of them need to try running first.

I think Nate Diaz has outstanding physical conditioning because he trains for mini-triathlons year-round, so using him as an example isn’t a good one IMO.

That said, I think Conor does get anxious when he encounters resistance.

His chin is decent, but his mind isn’t as tough. You’re right, other guys can get whooped and bleed to death and keep going the distance.

You are correct in saying that you don't HAVE to do low intensity long distance roadwork to have cardio. If you do something different and you aren't gassing, the proof is in the pudding and no one is going to question you on your mma specific cardio training.

However, if you are making one million per minute and still gassing, people are going to suggest you do some fucking cardio and at least try the basics if you can't sort out the fancier programming.

Back