Is Kovalev as racist as Pascal claims?

I have a work colleague who is white but has a face that genuinely looks like a monkey, so obviously his nickname is monkey.

Now if he was dark skinned but had the same features as he has now would I be racist if I said he has the facial features of a monkey?

No. Unless you called hin something like an ape of god.

No one here knows. His fans will say no, he's not yet he posted pics on the internet calling Stevenson a gorilla and what not.

He probably is sort of racist but who cares?
I have a feeling your probably right he probably leans towards being prejudice but I doubt he puts as much thought into it as say Ali did.

I figured few would give a rat's ass myself turns out we were both wrong.

He says some insensitive stuff,but so what? I dont judge him completley as a person because he is insensitive. Plenty of other fighters of color have said the same thing and no one makes a thread about it.

I don't think he's racist in the true definition, meaning he thinks blacks are genetically inferior. I do think he's really prejudice, probably sees a black dude and assumes they are a chain snatching dope smoker who knocks up chicks and doesn't pay child support. That doesn't make him racist, just really prejudice which is also bad. I worked with (and am related to) some of these guys. Definitely assholes but the difference is once they realize a black guy doesn't fall into that category they treat them just like every other guy and would go to bat for them if they needed it.

I hate prejudice because as a person of color it means I've got to go and prove I'm not a lazy good for nothing thief everywhere I go while my white counterparts get the benefit of the doubt. But at the same time guys like Kovalev are just Resorting to lazy thinking and it's actually normal human behavior to stereotype and group people based on identifiable traits, it helps us make quick decisions as a species.

It is what it is, he's still my favorite fighter at the moment.

You've got to remember that there's a big language gap, and that Kovalev is coming from a completely different culture, and not every culture is as racially sensitive as America because they don't have the ugly white/black history that the USA has.

Like when he had the shirt of a gorilla and said it was Adonis Stevenson... he obviously didn't know the history and racial sensitivity of comparing a black person to a monkey or gorilla. Adonis has the sloping brow and super-muscular body that can jokingly be thought of as gorilla-ish. It's not a racial thing, most black people don't have that look and I've seen a lot of whites and other races with the same look. So it's entirely plausible that he was just going for a joke without trying to be racist.

Like when he had the shirt of a gorilla and said it was Adonis Stevenson... he obviously didn't know the history and racial sensitivity of comparing a black person to a monkey or gorilla. .
You sure about that?

Here's a twitter picture from a Russian politician:
obama.jpg

And here's a lazer show to celebrate Obama's birthday in Russia:
obama.jpg

Russians are very familiar with racial stereotyping, obviously. Kovalev is not a child, he fully understood what he was insinuating.

The only question is, does that mean Kovalev is racist? And if so, does that mean we should not root for him? I don't know, I'm just a simple man. Only RobJenkins fully understands racial and socioeconomic prejudice, so he can enlighten us all.

Last edited:
Bottom line if Kovalev is "Racist" the majority of us are all "racists".

A true "racist" wouldn't have Jackson and other black or hispanic guys working with him.

I highly doubt Jackson or the rest of his gym would be working with Kovalev if he was a racist.

People just want to shrug off at Jackson's claims that Kovalev isn't a racist and call him a "uncle tom" or "sellout" lol. You guys that just can't accept Jackson's words are truly ignorant and want so hard for Kovalev to be a "racist" are Racists.

I have a work colleague who is white but has a face that genuinely looks like a monkey, so obviously his nickname is monkey.

Now if he was dark skinned but had the same features as he has now would I be racist if I said he has the facial features of a monkey?
I don't know. How about you go walk around your neighborhood and call the black people there monkeys and then come back and post your results? Probably they'll be fine with it if you tell them you're not racist afterwards.

I don't know. How about you go walk around your neighborhood and call the black people there monkeys and then come back and post your results? Probably they'll be fine with it if you tell them you're not racist afterwards.

What does that have to do with the situation I suggested?

What does that have to do with the situation I suggested?
You seem unsure if black people would be offended at the monkey comparison. I suggested an experiment.

You seem unsure if black people would be offended at the monkey comparison. I suggested an experiment.

Where did I say I was unsure if they would be offended? Can you show me that please. I asked if that would make someone a racist not if it'd offend anyone.

Where did I say I was unsure if they would be offended? Can you show me that please. I asked if that would make someone a racist not if it'd offend anyone.
Calm down.

It was a stupid question. Some things just aren't OK to say to other people. I can't imagine any situation where you could compare a black person's features to a monkey and not upset someone. Even if that guy really does look like a monkey.

Calm down.

It was a stupid question. Some things just aren't OK to say to other people. I can't imagine any situation where you could compare a black person's features to a monkey and not upset someone. Even if that guy really does look like a monkey.

Lol, come on seano. You could just admit you were wrong to put words in my mouth like that. And while it may have been a stupid question, yours was an equally stupid answer.

I think criticizing me in any way for calling anyone a monkey whenever I want is a particularly pernicious form of reverse racism.

So let me just make sure I got this straight. A black filmmaker can make a movie about a white guy and black guy who partner together to cleverly exploit inaccurate racial stereotypes in order to hustle other basketball players with the title, "White Men Can't Jump," but a white guy cannot equate blacks with primates without getting an ear full of PC mumbo-jumbo? Talk about a double standard!

So let me just make sure I got this straight. A black filmmaker can make a movie about a white guy and black guy who partner together to cleverly exploit inaccurate racial stereotypes in order to hustle other basketball players with the title, "White Men Can't Jump," but a white guy cannot equate blacks with primates without getting an ear full of PC mumbo-jumbo? Talk about a double standard!

I know you're being sarcastic, and yes, that's a hilarious way of looking at it.

Lol, come on seano. You could just admit you were wrong to put words in my mouth like that. And while it may have been a stupid question, yours was an equally stupid answer.
Honestly, I simply can't think of a situation where comparing black people to monkeys would not raise eyebrows. That's all I'm saying.

Exactly right. That's the society we live in.

Back