Is Kovalev as racist as Pascal claims?

Blazeblack

Amateur Muay Thai & K-1 rules champion
@Brown
Reaction score
As I'm sure just about everyone has heard, Pascal has been heavily criticizing Kovalev for his racially charged statements and tweets. Seems simple enough, the tweet to Stevenson was about as classy as dog shit and some of his statements in past interviews seem insensitive at best. Based on that I'm inclined to agree with Pascal, but my knowledge and understanding of Russian culture is nearly nonexistent. Kovalev and his management have chalked this all up to a simple lapse in judgement (in regards to the Adonis tweet), cultural misunderstanding, and trumped up allegations on Pascal's part (here's a link to a recent Ring mag article with more info,http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/...uva-downplays-kovalev-pascal-race-controversy). What do you guys think, is there anybody from Russia that could shed light on this? Regardless, it should be a good fight, hope Pascal can bring the heat and make this interesting.

If Kovalev was truly racist his coach and sparring partners wouldn't be black

No. Pascal knows he's getting cleaned out again , just playing the old race card to make himself feel better

Even if he was, he will have his good reasons.

Last edited:
No. Pascal knows he's getting cleaned out again , just playing the old race card to make himself feel better
Lol, pascal learning from americans! He is entitled to a KO Ala the krusher!!!!

The War Room tells me only white people are victims of racism.

He seems to venerate Hopkins (who incidentally said he wouldn't lose to a white boy) so I don't think so. He just made a comparison based on looks without knowing the historical context.

I find it odd though that racism is the gravest accusation people make against him when he's talked openly about killing someone in the ring after doing it once already.

Last edited:
Someone is racist if they exhibit a pattern of racism. One racist incident I don't believe is enough to label some as a racist. There were reports that he also called Sillakh the n-word on some Russia TV show, but I've heard others say that he called him 'negro' instead so I don't think you can hold that against him without full proof. The monkey picture was totally over the line though. But again, is one incident enough to label someone a racist? IMO, I don't think so.

You can't just run around and call everyone a racist because you don't like them. Otherwise people won't take you seriously when real systemic racial issues pop up.

Someone is racist if they exhibit a pattern of racism. One racist incident I don't believe is enough to label some as a racist. There were reports that he also called Sillakh the n-word on some Russia TV show, but I've heard others say that he called him 'negro' instead so I don't think you can hold that against him without full proof. The monkey picture was totally over the line though. But again, is one incident enough to label someone a racist? IMO, I don't think so.

You can't just run around and call everyone a racist because you don't like them. Otherwise people won't take you seriously when real systemic racial issues pop up.
Just out of curiosity, how many publicly known acts of racism does it take to label someone racist?

There is a cultural and translation barrier, he can't be truly racist or harbor animosity because he has trainers who are of color, he is able to see value in people. However being from a mostly homogeneous country, Russia doesn't have this white guilt that permeates the western world so their words when on the attack carries some heavy venom. When they talk in such ways it's straight to point, no dancing around the park, no beating around the bush, just straight and utter penetration of words on the enemy to get the point across. They don't have this intimate dark history with the black flesh.

At the end of the day guys, he sees that this ethnic embodiment of humanity is going to be his greatest challenge so he wants to temper the waters, agitate the powers that be so he can face his biggest test. Russians may have their thoughts and differences on the blackness, but even they with their stoic ways can't fight dark glistening symbiotic nature as it touches your skin and engulfs your soul. What you are witnessing from Kov is growing pains as he slowly accepts the existence of the black flesh. He doesn't want to, he is trying to adapt but right now it isn't pretty because it's a lot to take in. Once he is defeated by the black flesh you will see the transition slide smoothly inside of him.

When you start comparing black people to monkeys, it's pretty clear where you stand.

Yes.

Anyone who claims it is a cultural difference or whatever is eiter a racist asshole or hasnt bothered to google it. Kovalev has done far more than the Stevenson thing
not only did he call Ismael Silakh after knocking him out negro or :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: or whatever is Russian claiming he had beef with him for several years back but he said other things as well
From a different site and it's with google translator but I think you'll get the meaning of it

http://allboxing.ru/archives/2013-08-31_[hour]_[min].html-10

The legendary Bernard Hopkins believes that you do not have anything special.
- Dark-skinned like a lot to talk about. For them it is part of the show. Hopkins is one of them. Before the fight with Nathan Cleverly's father also promised that I "buried". Then we met, I had "pulled" and said he had too much excess affords. He answered: "understand correctly, there is no personal dislike to you, I do it to attract interest in the fight." I'm not an actor, not a talker, I'm a fighter, used to decide everything in the ring. All of them talk a lot, and then firmly "sleep."

One day after the fight with Grover Young, by the way, the only draw the match in your career, you have called your opponent "thoroughbred n*gger." Why?
- We had a fight with him by accident. I was getting ready for a fight with another guy went to the weigh and Egis said that the enemy was "broke", however, there is a replacement, but it is harder to 9 pounds of (4.5 kilograms), so you can dine. When we got on the scales Young heavier than 6 kilograms, but it did not bother me. Then we held on to each opponent, promoter of us were not. So the next day the battle - at a party Play Boy. Among the spectators' misski "of different years, naked girls in body paint instead of swimwear. In the first round Grover something else tried to do, but I quickly picked up the keys to it. In the second, he got tired and decided to get away with pretending that I hit him heavily on the head. Young referee was led. And Young - he's an actor, he fell to the deck, she has requested a stretcher. The rules also has a point that if the fight lasted less than four rounds and stopped due to injury, the judge set off a technical draw. I later met Yang at the hotel - a happy, telling jokes to his coach. I asked him: "Why are not you in the emergency room, because, judging by your antics, you're on the verge of death?" He started screaming something about a rematch, and I asked him not to wait, to go for a hotel and make it there . "No, no, no, it's illegal," - he said. It was a shame that this "tan" to earn easy money. Egis paid him 4000 dollars, but it turns out nothing.

Grover - the main villain, whom you met in the ring?
- Well ... He's just a rascal behaved unsportsmanlike. In general, for some reason among African Americans across the guys inadequate. If they are on the sparring that something does not work, then you can with an elbow strike. In one case, the "white" beaten "black." So he pulled out a gun after a workout and began waving it in the face of the enemy, threatening to shoot him. This abnormal behavior. I'm not a racist, I know that everywhere there are good and bad guys, but the "tanned" every day I like less. I live in Florida, there are many illegal immigrants, natives, I can see how they behave.
That's just a rough translation but I just got a friend who speaks Russian to read it and the meaning is clear. Beibut Shumenov (a Russian speaker) was asked for his thoughts.

And Shumenov doesn't buy Kovalev's excuse either.

RingTV.com: What are your thoughts Sergey Kovalev's comments about African Americans? Were they controversial or not in nature, due to the Russian language? In other words, what was your interpretation of what Kovalev actually said?Shumenov:
I was shocked when I heard about his racist comments that he said in reference about African Americans. There was no misinterpretation or lost in Russian-to-English translation of what he said.
He will have to live with the derogatory words that he said in print and video. A lot of my team are African Americans, and they are more than members of my team, they are family to me. They have my back and I have theirs, and I have zero respect for racist views of any kind.

There is not a little bit of a doubt that Kovalev is racist he seems to like Hopkins and has a black trainer but so what he's still racist and there's no denying, it isn't arguable.
Pascal is hilarious though revolving the whole trash talk leading up to the fight only about that his antics against Hopkins where fun as well though

When you start comparing black people to monkeys, it's pretty clear where you stand.

What about comparing a black person who you think looks like a chimp to a chimp? Still racist if you're oblivious to the racial history of that comparison?

Is comparing someone with a horse face to a horse also some-ist? Sara Jessica Parker looks like horse. Am I sexist?

Last edited:
The "tan" Andre Ward is gonna smoke him in the ring.

Back