Is Fedor the least impressive out of all the GOAT contenders?

Fedor Emelianenko may not be the GOAT but he is by far the best fucking MMA heavyweight we have ever seen.

He's great, but even that is debatable. He very well could be, but unfortunately we never got to see him against Stipe, JDS, Cain, Reem, etc.

I wish we could have seen he and Werdum fight when they were both in their primes.

Fedor not being able to finish Big Nog (twice) or Crocop should take him off your list then. They are the two best guys he has beaten.

so let's forget about all his other opponents, right? plus, it's about WANTING to finish fighters. gsp CLEARLY didn't intend on doing that, post-serra 1.

He's great, but even that is debatable. He very well could be, but unfortunately we never got to see him against Stipe, JDS, Cain, Reem, etc.

I wish we could have seen he and Werdum fight when they were both in their primes.
Pm me when those guys go undefeated for 10 years in a steroid abused org. Then I will listen.

Pm me when those guys go undefeated for 10 years in a steroid abused org. Then I will listen.
It's definitely a feat. Im not shitting on Fedor, just saying that he's not the GOAT.

Also would love to point out that Suicide Squad was an absolutely atrocious film, if you even want to call it that.

i suppose it's difficult to explain to fans who didn't witness it the raw intensity of the early years, and the absolute lock down he had on the HW division for a decade.

kinda like as soon as BJ came back to the UFC and lost to GSP 2 rounds to 1, it was hard to explain to TUF noobs what the BJ hype was all about, and what it was like watching this kid from 2001 and on.

in an ever evolving sport, it's complicated to do these things. it's exponentially more complicated to then try to quantify something like 'best ever' across these eras, when a lot of better fighters exist later in the sport's short history than before.

i'm not calling you a noob, TS. i'm not trying to hold my own longevity of a fan over your head either. i'm merely pointing out what is actually pretty obvious.

if you don't think dominating the HW division for a decade is very impressive - even if that division came prior to Cain Velasquez - then no one will ever be able to convince you otherwise. even though no one was able to do it - or anything even remotely close to doing it - before him (when fighters were theoretically less skilled) or after (when fighters were theoretically more skilled).

but although i won't be able to convince you, you should listen when i tell you, it was impressive. and while Sylia and Arlovski were trading the belt back for a few years in the 2nd best HW division of the time, Fedor dominated the best division...and then wrecked Sylvia & Arlovski. some of us thought the argument was over after that Arlovski bout. oh how we underestimated the power of denial.

in boxing, most historians stopped trying to compare fighters across eras. alas, sherdoggers are not historians.
It was a pleasure reading something from someone who actually knows there shit on sherdog, round of applause to this man. This should be copied and pasted in every "fedor sucked/bj is garbage" thread to ever come about again, and we all know there will be plenty more.

so let's forget about all his other opponents, right? plus, it's about WANTING to finish fighters. gsp CLEARLY didn't intend on doing that, post-serra 1.

Hey I'm a Fedor fan but unless you are blind, many of the guys that he did finish were either far past their prime or massive cans. I have never said that Fedor didn't have some great wins but it's clear that his best wins that didn't go to decision were a result of his skill plus them being inferior. GSP finished plenty of sub top 15 guys before he won the belt. After losing to Serra, every fight he had (other than maybe Dan Hardy and even he at the time was top 10) was either a top 10 or a top 5 guy. Fedor beat top fighters but he had so many matches inbetween those top victories, it's easy to see why he went undefeated for so long.

His standout wins include Arlovski, Sylvia, Nog, CroCop, and Brett Rogers. He then proceeds to get choked out by werdum (someone with a better heavyweight resume anyways) Completely dissmantled by BigFoor (lul) and then knocked out by someone wayyyy smaller in Dan Henderson. After being completely trashed by current, relevant fighters at the time, he goes back to can crushing so he can have more contract leverage. Fedor is by far the least impressive fighter i have seen out of all the potential GOATS. Aldo, DJ, GSP, Jones, and even Anderson Silva have a better claim than this pudgy, mediocre can crusher Kkona. Feel free to try t convinve me that Fedor wasnt just some can crusher that excelled almost everywhere but the U.S

You realize Big Nog and Cro Cop are consensus top 5-10 Heavyweights all time, right? So you are actually validating Fedor's career.

Not to mention, when Fedor fought in PRIDE, it was the better organization in terms of heavyweights.

Never said GSP was disqualified, in fact, if you read my last sentence I have him in my top 3. OP said Fedor got KO'd by a much smaller man in Dan Henderson, I was merely saying that happened to GSP also.

I have love for Canadians.

I'm not saying Fedor should be disqualified either. Without a doubt, he is one of the top heavyweights of all time. Hard to forgive him for not wanting to join the UFC. He and guys like Askren, Aoki etc are all fighters that we wonder about regarding the UFC. Fedor got badly beaten 3 in a row in Strikeforce by three guys that were all UFC fighters.

Jon Jones has a tainted legacy due to peds

Anderson has the same.

I think gsp is goat. But fedor is still up there due to what he did in pride. All the best heavyweights were in pride and he beat two ex heavyweight champions in affliction who were respected at the time.. he is top 3 goat. He did fight some cans that's true but he beat the best if the best back in the day.

During Fedor's prime, he defeated the best HW's that were around.

You mean except for

- Randy
- Mir
- Brock
- JDS
- Cain
- Overeem
- Werdum
- Barnett
- Sergei
- Igor

Other than all those guys, sure he beat the best HWs during his run.

You realize Big Nog and Cro Cop are consensus top 5-10 Heavyweights all time, right? So you are actually validating Fedor's career.

Not to mention, when Fedor fought in PRIDE, it was the better organization in terms of heavyweights.

No doubt about that, Crocrop and Big Nog were top heavyweights in Pride. Top 10 of all time, I'd give them although once they left organizations where juicing was rampant, both did quite poorly.

GSP has wins over how many all time great welterweights? All of these guys when he beat them were top 5. That's 13 top 5 wins in 26 victories. Add in guys like Alves and Hardy who were top 10 when he beat them as well.

Hughes (twice)
BJ Penn (twice)
Jake Shields
Condit
Diaz
Fitch
Koschek
Sherk
Trigg
Hendricks
Parisyan

He beat all of these guys in their prime when they were at the top of their games. their collective W/L record at the time he beat them was pretty phenomenal.

Add in a win over Bisping at a higher weight class....

Fedor's overall record doesn't even come close.

GSP is certainly up there for GOAT, got the best resume imo.

But don't you dare say he was more skilled. Let me know when he can set up a takedowns with strikes like this:

There's some confusion. Fedor was the best of HIS TIME, not the best of ALL TIME. The sport has evolved far past where it was 15 or even 10 years ago and the fighting game is just on a totally different level. Fedor failed to adapt and grow with the game and others caught up to his skills.

Fedor even at his best wouldn't be close to being the best fighter in the world today. But he deserves the credit of being an important part of the history of MMA and being good in his own time.

You mean except for

- Randy
- Mir
- Brock
- JDS
- Cain
- Overeem
- Werdum
- Barnett
- Sergei
- Igor

Other than all those guys, sure he beat the best HWs during his run.

He said Prime and Randy wasn't amongst the best HWs during Fedor's prime. Neither were JDS, Cain, Overeem, or Igor. Just because Fedor was fighting, doesn't mean it was his prime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back