Is Fedor the least impressive out of all the GOAT contenders?

im sure that even his trainer said, that fedor didnt take the training as srs as back then ... that was before strikeforce. imo its a mix of both --- mentally/body. you can be the most athletic guy guy in your 30s and it still doesnt matter, when you dont give a fuck or your head isnt there.

ps: "legit" HWs ... so cro cop and big nog werent legit? lel
I not sure if anything you said even relates to my post.

p.s. I didn't say his wins were or were not legit in this thread, I pointed out that it can be viewed as a double standard to claim Fedor is the g.o.a.t. for recovering from a suplex by a fighter that was obviously out of his prime by the time they fought.

i suppose it's difficult to explain to fans who didn't witness it the raw intensity of the early years, and the absolute lock down he had on the HW division for a decade.

kinda like as soon as BJ came back to the UFC and lost to GSP 2 rounds to 1, it was hard to explain to TUF noobs what the BJ hype was all about, and what it was like watching this kid from 2001 and on.

in an ever evolving sport, it's complicated to do these things. it's exponentially more complicated to then try to quantify something like 'best ever' across these eras, when a lot of better fighters exist later in the sport's short history than before.

i'm not calling you a noob, TS. i'm not trying to hold my own longevity of a fan over your head either. i'm merely pointing out what is actually pretty obvious.

if you don't think dominating the HW division for a decade is very impressive - even if that division came prior to Cain Velasquez - then no one will ever be able to convince you otherwise. even though no one was able to do it - or anything even remotely close to doing it - before him (when fighters were theoretically less skilled) or after (when fighters were theoretically more skilled).

but although i won't be able to convince you, you should listen when i tell you, it was impressive. and while Sylia and Arlovski were trading the belt back for a few years in the 2nd best HW division of the time, Fedor dominated the best division...and then wrecked Sylvia & Arlovski. some of us thought the argument was over after that Arlovski bout. oh how we underestimated the power of denial.

in boxing, most historians stopped trying to compare fighters across eras. alas, sherdoggers are not historians.

Wow.

There are times like this, when I read the OP, and get discouraged about the level of knowledge or discussion on this forum, feeling like it's filled with trolls or bullshit, then I read a post like this, and faith in MMA fans/knowledge is restored. Excellent post. TS should be on all fours in front of you, and let you use him as an ottoman, just rest your feet across his back. And he should have to wear the glasses on his av while he does it.

You know what is impressive? Being on top for so long without getting knocked out in a division where one punch can end everything.

To me the least impressive is Anderson by far because out of all the GOAT contenders, none of them got dominated or finished by a legit can with a losing record.

Only if you are an idiot.

Every great athlete eventually succumbs to time. Muhammad Ali lost 3/4 fights... he must have been a can.
I'm not saying I look at that way. It just seems a lot of people look at it as you're only as good as your last fight in comparison to the goat instead of looking at a whole career.

You mentioned Ali. Ali is a far better fighter than the current crop of HWs. A prime Ali would be a clear favourite against Joshue, Fury or Wilder. Not to mentioned Fraizer, Norton, Patterson, Holmes, Shavers, Foreman, Tyson, Bowe, Holyfield, Lennox so on.

Actually I think Lennox would beat him - Ali's habit of trying to slip by leaning back would be a very bad tactic against Lennox. Probably wouldn't be good against Vitali Klitschko either, though Ai's footwork would have kept him out of trouble for the most part there. And that's assuming there hasn't been the same kinds of increases in speed and strength in guys like Lennox or the Klitschko's as there have been in measured sports.

I'll grant you the baseball and basketball examples, because I don't know anything about it. Still, if following the trend of other sports, most of it is part improved living conditions, part technology and part getting the specific body types for a sport right.

I agree that's a big part of it - same as MMA from 1992 to 2017. But in basketball, baseball, hockey, and NA football (don't enough about soccer to comment) there's also been huge refinement in technique from say 1990 to today. Coaching, even for kids (perhaps especially for) has become much more scientific, much more efficient. Again, same as MMA.

You mentioned Owens time would lose in most high school races, yet you fail to realise the context. I've written about this extensively before, but I'll gladly do it again. Owens ran on a cinder/dirt track, without starting blocks (basicly holes in sand) and with shit shoes. Rest assured that if he had ran today, he would have been one of the best in the world. This video talks about that and more, it's pretty interesting:

I don't think the would have beat Bolt necessarily, because Bolt is out of this world.

With today's training and equipment he'd definitely be one of the greatest - that's the whole point in looking at people in terms of their time and conditions, rather than by absolute standards. By absolute standards his times are slow, even for cinder tracks. Put Owens in todays, with today's coaching, nutrition and so on and he'd be one of the best. Give him access to some of the PED's people have been caught with in track and he'd be right up there with Bolt. But again, that's my point. You have to look at the best of a time/conditions, not comparing them in absolute terms.

I'm not talking about some inherent athleticism or ability, I think those are such fuzzy notions that they're meaningless. I'm talking about direct comparison of performance, and I'm saying its only meaningful to compare athletes to their contemporaries, because conditions change so dramatically.

Speaking about T&F and the supposedly MASSIVE increase in athleticism, don't you find it odd that the mens long jump hasn't been beaten since 1968, hammer throw since 1988 and high + triple jump since 1996? Looking at the womens records, it's even more pronounced. Half of the world records in athletics are 20-40 years old. There is nothing new going on in the T&F world. If anything, other sports are only catching up.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_records_in_athletics)

Several studies suggest that we just about reached our physiological potential around 70/80s, and that scientific and technological progress is the thing putting us over the edge.

Absolutely. Which again backs my point - comparison's are only meaningful between same conditions and times, because different scientific/technological means play a huge role in absolute comparisons. Athleticism? I've no idea what that means. Outcome? Well, that can be measured, but never under even close to identical conditions when years have passed between. So comparison is only useful relative to time period.

The physics example is poor. Sure, some random dude can solve problems that Newton and Einstein couldn't, but that is ENTIRELY because of them. Einstein basicly turned everything we know about physics on its head. He changed the entire landscape of the universe. Yes, knowledge, theories and evidence is accumulated, and thus we're standing on the shoulder of giants and can increasingly solve more challenging problems, but that doesn't speak to our ability and it's not relevant to the athlete discussion.

The point actually carries over to MMA. A major reason MMA technique has evolved is because of what was discovered by the best fighters of eariler times in MMA. For example, post-Fedor MMA looks different than pre-Fedor MMA for no small part because of what Fedor did - others copied him, just as they copied all the best.

Point being, the improvement of athleticism and evolution of athletes is vastly overrated. It is however, in a sport like MMA, much more organised now that it was 20 years ago.

I've never talked about athleticism, because I think its a very hard to define quantity. Any high level coach in any sport will tell you the biggest determiner of high level success is mental - meaning the nervous system. The next is coordination - again the nervous system. But almost no common definition of athleticism includes the nervous system. I've only talked about performance, because that can be measured and/or compared.

Most sports have been analysed to a great extent the last couple of decades, using computer aided technologies that were never possible before. This has led to significant improvements in performance. Does that have anything to do with athleticism? I've no idea, the word is too vague to be useful. Does it mean performances are better? Yes. Should that play a role in comparing the greatness of different eras? No, greatness is related to success against contemporaries. To take an extreme example, the Roman Legions would be slaughtered by any modern army. Most people would say they were a great army, but on Sherdog people would say they were can crushers.

He's just past his prime. His GOAT legacy is in Pride. He ruined his legacy by not coming to the UFC and fighting Brock. Instead he gets baited into a triangle in another org.

His post Pride career has definitely been trash. I think the least impressive person in the GOAT discussion is BJ Penn. Fedor is starting to fade into that category though.

This is pretty retarded even by sherdog standards
please explain your opinion about which fighters from my list would have fallen to Fedor. you can call posts retarded all day without backing them up. JDS, Chuck, Rampage, and Forrest are the only iffy people in that list.

If you take MM out of the equation it's really only GSP and Fedor, both have some embarrassing losses.

Back