Insurance companies should deny coverage for people with BMI's over 40

Real freedom lies in Canada. Over here I can be as fat as I choose to be and still be covered.

Actually in the next decade the system is set to be under massive strain because of the increasing costs of treating people with lifestyle-related diseases. You have the option to be fat and unhealthy... only because there's enough people who haven't chosen that option, yet.

If I were American, I don't know that I'd want to pay taxes to bail out all the fatties. The US population's size and health is an unrecoverable train-wreck at this point.

Hell yeah, keep this fat piece of shit away from insurance.

Ur3r7qq.gif

5'11" 300lbs, BMI: 41.8/Obese
I get your point, but that guy wasn't healthy, and his lifestyle gave him all kinds of expensive medical problems. Insurance companies probably would do better to cover fatties than competitive bodybuilders.

No, why not just outlaw fastfood and all type of that bullshit? This seems less cruel. But more liberal?
Do you even care?

Let's do a combo of the two. Fight the issue on both sides. Add regulations to fat type food and adjust healthcare to incentivize non fat life styles and lower bmws

Why just ban fast food? Eating at a high end restaurant is just as bad for you. Gordon Ramsey's mashed potatoes are literally 50% butter 50% potato.

You really want to start down that slippery slope , " protecting people from themselves" ? Why don't we ration butter and alcohol while we're at it ? The tech is certainly there to track how many beers you've purchased this month , or how many frozen pizzas you bought last year.

The freedom to make bad choices of all varieties is one of the things that makes life generally worth living.
It's a tough one for sure. No I don't, there is a middle ground between having a grease joint on every corner of the street (in poor areas that is) and outright banning them. It just hurts when I see uneducated mothers drag their young kids into a McDonald day after day, and give them a Monster Energy drink to down that crap (UFC should be ashamed of . In most cities in Europe for example there is a strong franchise policy to avoid having this abundance of junkfood.
Government could play a role in dropping the prices of fruit and vegetables as in the US they are way to expensive as opposed to junkfood. The lobbying power of these corporations is too big. Looking at the OT, you can't have a country make junkfood insanely available and cheap and then punish the ones eating it.

It also seems a way to keep the poor dumb and unhealthy but that's a different topic.

Last edited:
But liberals say ignore science and medical issues and be who you want.

Bodybuilders aren't exactly pictures of health...large injury risks and shortened life spans...

Tbh that's why I said 40 which is well into the obese range 5'10" 280 lbs is ludicrous

There are also some people when using the BMI standard are borderline obese while having 6% body fat.

Awesome idea. We can all pay way the fuck more when they roll into the ER.

That's something else we'll take away then just to be sure.

'BMI over 40? No ER for you, go die in the streets fatass. This is the life you chose'

That's something else we'll take away then just to be sure.

'BMI over 40? No ER for you, go die in the streets fatass. This is the life you chose'
Yeah, I'm sure we can just "take that away"

There are also some people when using the BMI standard are borderline obese while having 6% body fat.

early in the thread I agreed that something better than BMI should be used that takes into account muscle mass.

Actually in the next decade the system is set to be under massive strain because of the increasing costs of treating people with lifestyle-related diseases. You have the option to be fat and unhealthy... only because there's enough people who haven't chosen that option, yet.

If I were American, I don't know that I'd want to pay taxes to bail out all the fatties. The US population's size and health is an unrecoverable train-wreck at this point.

This will be somewhat offset by the constantly decreasing incidence of tobacco consumption, main effect being that we'll see lung cancer slide lower down on the list of most likely causes of death.

Tobacco deaths though are at least subsidized by the massive amount of tax applied to tobacco. That massive tax (which is increased at the federal level and provincial level almost every year) is also a big driver behind the decrease of smoking rates. The main issue behind obesity is that people lack education, and they're unaware that being obese is just as unhealthy as smoking a pack a day. This information is obviously out there, but it's not as 'in-your'face' as the health warnings on tobacco products. Figuring out what and how much you should really be eating in order to be healthy actually requires effort, discipline and sacrifice, so there's the other problem.

Third issue is that fast food and candy are actually cheaper than good food. There's constantly a deal on chocolate bars, chips and pop every time I walk into a grocery store, and you can get a full meal at McDonalds for literally $5. Thinking about tobacco again and how that legislation had helped curb smoking rates, here's probably what should happen to all forms of junk food, fast food and pop:

- No more promotional pricing. no 2 for 1 deals, no Toonie Tuesday's, nothing. You are not allowed to stimulate demand by giving deals.
- Create a tax that reflects poor dietary options: is your food super high in sugar and lacks fiber (e.g. pop)? Taxed. Is your food high in both carbs and fats? Taxed. Trans fats? Taxed.
- Mandatory messaging on products that meet the above guidelines. How many people are actually aware that basically the worst thing you could eat is a meal that simultaneously high in carbs and fat (this covers almost all fastfood)? How many people know that drinking juice isn't nearly as beneficial as actually eating fruit? How many people know that carbs aren't just carbs, e.g. there's a massive difference between white bread and steelcut oats? etc. In other words, use the bad foods people are eating to create messages about the foods they should be eating.

Hell yeah, keep this fat piece of shit away from insurance.

Ur3r7qq.gif

5'11" 300lbs, BMI: 41.8/Obese
Presenting professional steroid-eaters as a picture of health is the height of ignorance.

How many guys who made the final stage at the Mr. Universe in the 70's made it past 50 without a major heart attack?

Back