Insurance companies should deny coverage for people with BMI's over 40

BMI is an antiquated, inaccurate measure of a person’s fitness. Developed before wwii, it was used to measure soldiers, with the ideal male being around 160 lbs.

I know I could stand to lose 15 lbs, but my BMI measurement is a joke. I am 5’9-5’10 and 210. I have a huge back, chest, and big biceps. I am also very stocky with short, thick legs. So when I get measure using BMI, I am in the obese category. Anyone that has seen the pictures I posted years ago knows I am not an obese person, yet i am penalized for health and life insurance because I lift, or used to(I am taking a few months off for my back). Plus, I have a hot ass wife!
Yeah, I see plenty of "overweight" guys in sports.

No, why not just outlaw fastfood and all type of that bullshit? This seems less cruel. But more liberal?
Do you even care?

Let's do a combo of the two. Fight the issue on both sides. Add regulations to fat type food and adjust healthcare to incentivize non fat life styles and lower bmws

Btw, i thought this thread was about people who buy BMWs at first.

I wish insurance and government medical programs would deny the annual physical exam. America is one of the few countries that pushes the annual exam. Most countries discourage it.

The annual physical exam has not been found to improve America lives, or extend lives. It does raise medical costs in our country substantially though.

I wish insurance and government medical programs would deny the annual physical exam. America is one of the few countries that pushes the annual exam. Most countries discourage it.

The annual physical exam has not been found to improve America lives, or extend lives. It does raise medical costs in our country substantially though.

As I get older, the annual physical seems like I'm bringing my car to a mechanic.

Bring a car to a mechanic and ask if they can find anything wrong, and they certainly will.

Now that I'm in my 40s, if I show up to the doctor feeling healthy, he/she will undoubtedly find something wrong.

Sort of changing the topic, but I just wanted to toss there out there.

I am visiting family. I have been living overseas for years, but I'm in the US this summer.

Watching TV and it looks like every other commercial on TV is about prescription medication.

Is this a new phenomenon?

Could part of our increased medical costs be over the fact that people are swamped with drug ads and being told that they are not healthy?

Deny? No. Increased premium such as a smoker? Yes

If they are in a program and seeing results, losing weight as evidenced by doctor checkups, the penalty goes away even if they are not yet back to simply an overweight weight

Real freedom lies in Canada. Over here I can be as fat as I choose to be and still be covered.

And the BMI limit should drop every 2 years until it gets to 32.

I think this would drastically lower health care costs for all Americans. Honestly this is probably the adjustment we need to correct our inflating health costs. Seeing as weight is almost 100% in control of the individual it is almost anti-American to oppose this. If you want to be more healthy and get insurance get healthy and get insurance.

BTW for reference a BMI of 40 would be 5'6'' 240 lbs. or 5'10'' 280

Do you also support a soda tax, or fast food tax, or do you only support punishing fatties, when it doesn't hurt the job creators?

And the BMI limit should drop every 2 years until it gets to 32.

I think this would drastically lower health care costs for all Americans. Honestly this is probably the adjustment we need to correct our inflating health costs. Seeing as weight is almost 100% in control of the individual it is almost anti-American to oppose this. If you want to be more healthy and get insurance get healthy and get insurance.

BTW for reference a BMI of 40 would be 5'6'' 240 lbs. or 5'10'' 280

BMI is stupid. BJJ buddy has an obese BMI and 12% bodyfat.

So let me get this straight, the solution to fixing health care costs is denying care to overweight people? Wow, someone get Alex Azar on the phone right now!

It's not a disease it's a self inflicted disorder

Are you not aware of any diseases, medical conditions, or genetic predispositions to obesity?

Failure to exercise is also self-destructive. Should we make exercising a requirement to get insurance?

No it’s almost entirely diet. People are stuffing their faces with processed sewage and then trying to normalize the resulting obesity and poor health.

Could part of our increased medical costs be over the fact that people are swamped with drug ads and being told that they are not healthy?

Don't forget smokers, alcoholics, and bad drivers. Or do you not really give a shit about health care costs and just want to make a "I hate fat people" thread?

It's an addiction which to a small extent is self inflicted but IMO. if you want to blame anyone blame the fast food chains, coca cola, government for not doing anything about them and the poison they serve etc. Everywhere they go they destroy public health and they all avoid taxes. We should get our hands on some of that money.

Yeah, don't blame the individual making shitty choices, but instead lets blame the government. Seriously?

Hell yeah, keep this fat piece of shit away from insurance.

Ur3r7qq.gif

5'11" 300lbs, BMI: 41.8/Obese

Should be lower.

Death to all that are built like refrigerator boxes.

Back