Insurance companies should deny coverage for people with BMI's over 40

Hell yeah, keep this fat piece of shit away from insurance.

Ur3r7qq.gif

5'11" 300lbs, BMI: 41.8/Obese

It was already discussed earlier in the thread that a new calculation be used that took muscle mass into effect.

I would take this a lot more seriously if the BMI weren't a flawed and antiquated methodology.
it's not that flawed. Check anyone with high BMI, and they've coincidentally have high blood pressure. It's the one thing that even fit, but big folks cant escape, and it's bad for your health. While BMI is a big blanket, it's rather effective.

I don't know about deny, but I don't see how it's unreasonable to allow them to charge massive risk premiums.

To me I see it as little different than auto insurance for people with a DUI history. Both groups are entirely in control of an incredibly deleterious behavior (not just to themselves, but to everyone else socially connected to them). Yet for some reason society is only comfortable doling out the appropriate judgment to the alcoholics.

Why? Because of this absurd notion that health care is some sort of birthright. You control this. Want to be healthy? Stop eating. You haven't been denied the opportunity to be healthy.

Everyone loves to shit on Bmi but the science is quite clear that anyone falling under obese (yes even the muscular lean fucks) have increased negative health outcomes compared to everyone else

A better measurement would be helpful.

But, you also clearly hate obese people, do not understand, can never understand, and therefore shall submit to their whims and pay for their cardiac surgery and rehabilitation.

you must be obese-lol

it's so convenient for obese people to blame their conditions on other health problems when in fact it's their obesity that caused those health problems....

I think a lot of fast food chains have disclaimers now so that won’t fly.

Well it does as that apparently isn’t enough
Yeah, don't blame the individual making shitty choices, but instead lets blame the government. Seriously?
Well yes. Apparently everywhere these companies go people grow obese and diabetic in record numbers. My personal opinion is that the people are to blame as well but that doesn't matter, you have to protect them from themselves. People have no self control and having the government stop the distributers of poison makes more sense than blaming individuals and do nothing. It's also the government earning tax income, paying some of the burden of healthcare and giving tax breaks. Is your solution to fat-shame people or what?

It's not always about blame, it's about fixing issues that plague society, especially ones where the cause is so obvious. It's no different from big tobacco or prescription painkiller companies.

Last edited:
lots of triggered fatties in this thread IMO.

While the OP is draconian and perhaps impractical, this nation needs a very strong push to get healthy

Sort of changing the topic, but I just wanted to toss there out there.

I am visiting family. I have been living overseas for years, but I'm in the US this summer.

Watching TV and it looks like every other commercial on TV is about prescription medication.

Is this a new phenomenon?

Could part of our increased medical costs be over the fact that people are swamped with drug ads and being told that they are not healthy?
There's only so much that can be attributed to the cost of drugs. Everything else is expensive there as well.

The reason you see all those ads for drugs is that big pharma pays the politicians to let them write their own rules (like the financial sector) on what they're allowed to do, like market directly to consumers, bypassing doctors.

Interestingly, a new study from JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) found that "More than a third of Americans are estimated to be taking at least one prescription medication that carries the risk of depression, including suicidal symptoms, as a possible adverse effect—and they may have no idea" and, "Most notably, the researchers found that those taking three or more medications with depression risks had a greater chance of self-reporting depressive symptoms on a nine-question survey. Their rate of self-reported depressive symptoms was 15.3 percent, about double the rate reported by those taking just one drug with a risk of depression and about triple the rate of those taking no medications with risk of depression." - https://arstechnica.com/science/201...e-prescription-meds-with-risks-of-depression/

lots of triggered fatties in this thread IMO.

While the OP is draconian and perhaps impractical, this nation needs a very strong push to get healthy
True enough but it's not going to come from telling fat people what to do.

It's not a disease it's a self inflicted disorder
I'm a little on the fence on what to think about fat people. I can understand, though perhaps not empathize with, some reasons why some people end up very fat. I'm not going to bother enumerating them, but such reasons exist. For many, however, it's just gluttony. But given all the other legal ways people can harm themselves while having fun, it's not right to single out fatness for this type of action, I don't think. Better just to improve education and various other things, imo.

No bmi is a stuoid unit of measurement. Use fat. Above 30% fat by body percentage and you're talking

No, why not just outlaw fastfood and all type of that bullshit? This seems less cruel. But more liberal?
Do you even care?

Let's do a combo of the two. Fight the issue on both sides. Add regulations to fat type food and adjust healthcare to incentivize non fat life styles and lower bmws
That or people should pay the bill consequences for their actions. Maybe not no insurance, but more hoops and more mandated classes or something to make it a pain. Being s huge fantasy impacts society, it's not just the individual

But bro they're only fat because of medical conditions

Back