Insurance companies should deny coverage for people with BMI's over 40

They don’t call it morbidly obese for no reason. Ever see a super obese person in their 80s, 70s or even 60s. These people die off before 60 mostly.

BMI is a poor metric to use. Perhaps body fat % would be better suited.

BMI is an antiquated, inaccurate measure of a person’s fitness. Developed before wwii, it was used to measure soldiers, with the ideal male being around 160 lbs.

I know I could stand to lose 15 lbs, but my BMI measurement is a joke. I am 5’9-5’10 and 210. I have a huge back, chest, and big biceps. I am also very stocky with short, thick legs. So when I get measure using BMI, I am in the obese category. Anyone that has seen the pictures I posted years ago knows I am not an obese person, yet i am penalized for health and life insurance because I lift, or used to(I am taking a few months off for my back). Plus, I have a hot ass wife!

5‘9-5‘10 on sherdog means 5‘6 in real life

Better yet let's ban people who drink from driving. Even when they're not drinking at the time they're driving.

lol at fatties thinking they're excluded from being obese since they wore a weight belt once.

only kidding my buff sherbruhs <Dany07>

And the BMI limit should drop every 2 years until it gets to 32.

I think this would drastically lower health care costs for all Americans.

LOL wow, you do not know how statistics work do you??? The insurance companies look at statistics based on X factors and charge you based on these statistics. It is also beneficial to have a large sample size to account for anomalies.

There is no reason to think that it would lower the cost for the average person if this was the case. In fact, with the smaller pool size it is more likely the costs would go up.

How about a plan to get you to post less stupid shit about insurance
Step #1: Take Statistics 101
Step #2: Take it again since you failed it
Step #3: Profit

LOL wow, you do not know how statistics work do you??? The insurance companies look at statistics based on X factors and charge you based on these statistics. It is also beneficial to have a large sample size to account for anomalies.

There is no reason to think that it would lower the cost for the average person if this was the case. In fact, with the smaller pool size it is more likely the costs would go up.

How about a plan to get you to post less stupid shit about insurance
Step #1: Take Statistics 101
Step #2: Take it again since you failed it
Step #3: Profit

Fatty detected.

lots of triggered fatties in this thread IMO.

While the OP is draconian and perhaps impractical, this nation needs a very strong push to get healthy

The fact is that most people just don't have the horsepower in their frontal cortex to resist all of the temptations that the folks in the food industry are trying to corrupt them with, starting at a very young age, because humans didn't evolve in this type of environment. People end up making bad food decisions before their conscious minds are even aware of it, which is what all levels of the food industry and retail industry understand and take advantage of as a part of normal and successful business practices. Sure there are health policy considerations that could be enacted for the health of the population to combat this, but good luck taking on those lobbies. The only real hope is to integrate behavioral medicine into primary care settings (where the cost of care is cheaper to catch and treat diseases early, if not possibly slow or reverse with behavioral changes) as unhealthy people without insurance are very expensive when they appear at ER rooms and need surgical interventions and in-patient treatments for very serious health issues, which drives up the cost of health care for everyone as hospitals and providers need to recover those costs. But not providing health insurance to people to cover the cost of primary care is the dumbest thing to do.

The fact is that most people just don't have the horsepower in their frontal cortex to resist all of the temptations that the folks in the food industry are trying to corrupt them with, starting at a very young age, because humans didn't evolve in this type of environment. People end up making bad food decisions before their conscious minds are even aware of it, which is what all levels of the food industry and retail industry understand and take advantage of as a part of normal and successful business practices. Sure there are health policy considerations that could be enacted for the health of the population to combat this, but good luck taking on those lobbies. The only real hope is to integrate behavioral medicine into primary care settings (where the cost of care is cheaper to catch and treat diseases early, if not possibly slow or reverse with behavioral changes) as unhealthy people without insurance are very expensive when they appear at ER rooms and need surgical interventions and in-patient treatments for very serious health issues, which drives up the cost of health care for everyone as hospitals and providers need to recover those costs. But not providing health insurance to people to cover the cost of primary care is the dumbest thing to do.

Consider take away food.

Busy people eat more takeaway due to less free time. Currently with takeaway they have no incentive to make food healthier. Vegetable oil instead of olive. Add twice as much salt, no brainer. The effects of this aren't attributable to the provider and thus they have no incentive to make healthy food. This of course excludes large chains who have nutritional information specified but are largely avoided people wanting healthy food.

I come to you with problems but sadly no answers.

BMI is an antiquated, inaccurate measure of a person’s fitness. Developed before wwii, it was used to measure soldiers, with the ideal male being around 160 lbs.

I know I could stand to lose 15 lbs, but my BMI measurement is a joke. I am 5’9-5’10 and 210. I have a huge back, chest, and big biceps. I am also very stocky with short, thick legs. So when I get measure using BMI, I am in the obese category. Anyone that has seen the pictures I posted years ago knows I am not an obese person, yet i am penalized for health and life insurance because I lift, or used to(I am taking a few months off for my back). Plus, I have a hot ass wife!

Fat cop quit the dounuts

Or..... You can get a better job so something as trivial as health insurance cost doesn't get your panties in a bunch.

Well it does as that apparently isn’t enough

Well yes. Apparently everywhere these companies go people grow obese and diabetic in record numbers. My personal opinion is that the people are to blame as well but that doesn't matter, you have to protect them from themselves. People have no self control and having the government stop the distributers of poison makes more sense than blaming individuals and do nothing. It's also the government earning tax income, paying some of the burden of healthcare and giving tax breaks. Is your solution to fat-shame people or what?

It's not always about blame, it's about fixing issues that plague society, especially ones where the cause is so obvious. It's no different from big tobacco or prescription painkiller companies.

You really want to start down that slippery slope , " protecting people from themselves" ? Why don't we ration butter and alcohol while we're at it ? The tech is certainly there to track how many beers you've purchased this month , or how many frozen pizzas you bought last year.

The freedom to make bad choices of all varieties is one of the things that makes life generally worth living.

Back