Movies INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY (New Trailer, post #484)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will look weird when he is still playing Indiana Jones in a wheelchair
Maybe he'll be the man in the chair like Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond.

Naaaaa, they'll have Ford running around doing IJ shit.

It will look weird when he is still playing Indiana Jones in a wheelchair

How else do you expect them to combat able normative supremacy?

Take your ableist tropes and get out of here.

Indy should embrace the #metoo movement: he got raped senseless last time!

SPOILER: Indy gets a lightsaber through the chest.

Indy should embrace the #metoo movement: he got raped senseless last time!

giphy.gif

The animated film made in the late 80's was pretty good. What was the problem with Spielberg's BFG?

I'm trying to remember the specific differences w.r.t. the book and the 80s cartoon... But anyway, in Spielberg's version, the film never establishes the nature of the threat the giants pose, especially to the outside world, and how it relates to the girl's story. In point form, the movie is just: girl gets whisked to magic land by small giant, big giants are dicks to small giant, apparently some previous kid was eaten by the big giants before but the movie is scared to make this explicit, the big giants might do something bad in the future, girl convinces the Queen that the giants need to be dealt with (?), big giants get helicoptered away to somewhere.

It all just kept happening but the true stakes for the girl, the small giant and the world in general are never really established.

I'll stand to be corrected if I missed something, but the lack of clear stakes had me zoning out pretty early on.

Last edited:

"Able normative supremacists took to the streets in a demonstration today, the final remnant of a once-powerful majority who took pride their full physical capabilities. Their small numbers are now regarded as a sign of social progress since the release many years ago of The Birth of an Abled Nation, the movie that then-President Antonio Sabato Jr. famously proclaimed as being 'like history written in lightning.'"

Good job rooting out that filthy ableist scum. The wheelchair Gestapo know his location and are enroute.

I think at this point I'm going to need some more information before I start to get excited. But boy, why April 2019? That's an awfully long time just to begin filming.

Ford is... not aging well.
And the last IJ was legendarily bad.
was it bad if you take out the aliens though? I'm curious what other issues people had with it as I only saw it once years ago and I don't remember it being horrific, and certainly not as bad as IJ 3 (The Last Crusade) with Sean "can't act for shit" Connery

was it bad if you take out the aliens though? I'm curious what other issues people had with it as I only saw it once years ago and I don't remember it being horrific, and certainly not as bad as IJ 3 (The Last Crusade) with Sean "can't act for shit" Connery
A man his age isn't an action star. Nobody wants to see an elderly man pretending to be young.

This movie is a stupid idea.

A man his age isn't an action star. Nobody wants to see an elderly man pretending to be young.

This movie is a stupid idea.

I want it to happen if only to give everyone involved a chance at redemption. Crystal Skull is just such a shitty swan song for this team.

I want it to happen if only to give everyone involved a chance at redemption. Crystal Skull is just such a shitty swan song for this team.
As always, it depends on the script. Only a good script can save a film that's hampered by the ages of its principles... and the hurdle that there's really nowhere for the story and character of IJ to go.

As always, it depends on the script. Only a good script can save a film that's hampered by the ages of its principles... and the hurdle that there's really nowhere for the story and character of IJ to go.

What I am most dismayed by is the fact that, in my opinion at least, Indy belongs to the early 20th century. The 20s, 30s, 40s. . . But no later. Crystal Skull pushed him into the 50s which means this film will probably push him into the 60s. The aesthetic will be all wrong.

But like you say, the whole thing can be saved by a good script, or at least it can wrap things up in a better way than Crystal Skull did.

After this I assume that Disney will essentially reboot the franchise. If they do, then I think they should lock Indy into that early time period I mentioned earlier and don't let him escape. Just have him go on a series of adventures.

Are you familiar at all with the British Poirot series? When Agatha Christie wrote her books, Poirot (the hero detective) moved through the decades with her. But when ITV adapted them, they reworked all the stories so that they all took place in the 30s. I'd like to see something similar for Indiana.

What I am most dismayed by is the fact that, in my opinion at least, Indy belongs to the early 20th century. The 20s, 30s, 40s. . . But no later. Crystal Skull pushed him into the 50s which means this film will probably push him into the 60s. The aesthetic will be all wrong.

But like you say, the whole thing can be saved by a good script, or at least it can wrap things up in a better way than Crystal Skull did.

After this I assume that Disney will essentially reboot the franchise. If they do, then I think they should lock Indy into that early time period I mentioned earlier and don't let him escape. Just have him go on a series of adventures.

Are you familiar at all with the British Poirot series? When Agatha Christie wrote her books, Poirot (the hero detective) moved through the decades with her. But when ITV adapted them, they reworked all the stories so that they all took place in the 30s. I'd like to see something similar for Indiana.
Excellent post. I agree, Indy belongs to a specific period. I'd like to see Indy adventures that don't involve politics, for instance.

By 'begin shooting' I imagine this means that on April 9, 2019 Spieliberg will begin shooting anyone who thinks this movie is a good idea.

With bullets.

Son, I will fight you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back