If Whittaker defeats Rockhold he has a promising resume for MW GOAT

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The guy has solid wins against Brunson and two MW monsters Romero and Jacare.
If he defeats Rockhold I'm not calling him goat of course but it's a solid TD.

Besides winning streaks as a champion I also think the quality of the opponents is rather important. Also, the way he got to the title should also be considered.

I'm saying this as a Rockhold fan

tenor.gif

Stop it with the GOAT bullshit.

Crazy really

When Wonderboy schooled him I didn't think he would amount to much

OMG... he gets the title & we're talking about his GOAT potential... lol.

You realize this is the same division Spider made his GOAT run at right?

He's got a very long way to go... but as the OP mentioned... he's got a great start. Romero & Jacere are just as valid of opponents as if they were title fights. Throw Brunson & Tavarez in under that... & he's got a great looking resume. Lets not get all GOATy about it though.

Last edited:
Way too early to tell. He's got a nice start though.

Besides winning streaks as a champion I also think the quality of the opponents is rather important. Also, the way he got to the title should also be considered.

I agree, but longevity at the top is also a pretty important criteria. beating luke and losing the next fight will not do...

Whittaker is 26 ffs even if beats Rockhold what if he gets knocked out in his next 10 fights?
GOAT talk about a 26 year old fighter with 7 wins at MW and who hasn't even won the real belt is ridiculous.

Lets see him get through Luke, Gastelum, Weidman and Costa in the next 2 years and hes got a case.

I agree, but longevity at the top is also a pretty important criteria. beating luke and losing the next fight will not do...
That's why I said it would be promising, not make him GOAT of course

Being awarded a girl and winning one doesn’t make you the goat. Get a fucking grip already. Defend the title several times before entering that conversation.

LOL.

It's really hard to become MW GOAT considering that Anderson has had 16 consecutive wins and 10 consecutive title defenses at MW.
And yeah, he roided. But his opponents did, aswell.

I see your point and it's unequivocally valid.
Every name on his extended resume is sick.
But 10 title defenses.
Defending the title does matter, the new generation or new investors, "Hollywood" who are bastardizing the sport believe otherwise.
What does Brady know about MMA?
And Ariel is on the tit.

I wish people could stop putting guys in GOAT discussions that had a couple of good wins.

Off to damn good start, minus the Wonderboy loss. However, it seems like the GOAT talk starts off any little run nowadays. Anderson ruled the division for years and after some real nice wins all of a sudden Whittaker is in talks as GOAT, let alone in the MW division? He seems to have really grown and I can't wait for more of his fights but calm the hell down with the GOAT nonsense

Lol at all the cope ITT. OP is partially right, and obviously assumes Anderson is out of the picture because he’s a cheat.

With him gone, there aren’t too many better resumes strictly in the MW division. If you have some, throw them out...

Back