If Whittaker defeats Rockhold he has a promising resume for MW GOAT

He will be above Weidman in the MW GOAT rankings for sure if he wins this next one.

The guy has solid wins against Brunson and two MW monsters Romero and Jacare.
If he defeats Rockhold I'm not calling him goat of course but it's a solid TD.

Besides winning streaks as a champion I also think the quality of the opponents is rather important. Also, the way he got to the title should also be considered.

I'm saying this as a Rockhold fan

Yeah with maybe 5 more defenses or so, he’d be up there.

People don’t seem to get how tough it is to stay champion. Borg said in his pre-fight to MM, Max said it about Aldo before there first fight...

Those two had watched and been aiming for MM/Aldo for YEARS. They knew beating those 2 guys was the goal. When you’re the champ, everyone is gunning for you. They watch everything they can on you, they try to figure you out more than they would any other opponent.

Being able to stay on top of the sport (in a fighting sense) is so much harder than getting there. Yes, Whittaker has looked great, his wins over Brunson, Jacare, and Romero are great. Hell, if he beats Luke, easily #1 MW in the world. No doubt about it.

But it doesn’t make him the best ever. Nor will it make him close to the best ever, he’s got a long ways to go and it’ll take the next 3-4 years at least of defending that belt to get there.

Longevity is a very, very underrated aspect of MMA, especially considering that most of these “great” fighters only have a peak or prime of about 2-3 years. The fact that guys like Aldo, ANderson, GSP, Fedor etc stayed at the top for a decade strong speaks volumes as to how immensely talented those guys were.

Weidman is the GOAT because he beat 3 Brazilians with an average age of 37.33.

Lets see him get through Luke, Gastelum, Weidman and Costa in the next 2 years and hes got a case.
What case? If he beats those guys, his MW run will be way better than Silva's. People that think he needs to match Silva's title defenses are on crack. Whittaker didn't get a titleshot in his 2nd UFC fight.....

Weidmans resume is better

Roided up silva is bette than Souza, Brunson and Romero combined

I bet you also think if Ngannou beats Stipe he becomes a GOAT candidate.

Let them get 5+ defences before even bringing it up.

Stop it with the GOAT bullshit.
This is the only goat stuff I want to see for a very long time....

6-30-17-goat-yoga-congressional-cemetery-1-994x559.jpg

cQRL8sv.jpg

What case? If he beats those guys, his MW run will be way better than Silva's. People that think he needs to match Silva's title defenses are on crack. Whittaker didn't get a titleshot in his 2nd UFC fight.....
Then he has a case as I stated.. Sure he beat more impressive competition but Silva went 16-0 including 4-0 at LHW. Many would still hold him as MW GOAT.

The guy has solid wins against Brunson and two MW monsters Romero and Jacare.
If he defeats Rockhold I'm not calling him goat of course but it's a solid TD.

Besides winning streaks as a champion I also think the quality of the opponents is rather important. Also, the way he got to the title should also be considered.

I'm saying this as a Rockhold fan
Fook no not even close. Mw division without gsp= mediocre

Then he has a case as I stated.. Sure he beat more impressive competition but Silva went 16-0 including 4-0 at LHW. Many would still hold him as MW GOAT.
Quality over quantity. Also, Whittaker is 8-0 right now. After those guys you mentioned, I don't see how it would be debatable that Silva's reign was better. His wins at LHW are not relevant to a MW run.

Back