If Whittaker defeats Rockhold he has a promising resume for MW GOAT

Lol at all the cope ITT. OP is partially right, and obviously assumes Anderson is out of the picture because he’s a cheat.

With him gone, there aren’t too many better resumes strictly in the MW division. If you have some, throw them out...

Dan Henderson

Rich Franklin

Wandy

Just to name a few. The kid has a great start though and I hope he has a dominant run. I'm a big fan!

Quality over quantity. Also, Whittaker is 8-0 right now. After those guys you mentioned, I don't see how it would be debatable that Silva's reign was better. His wins at LHW are not relevant to a MW run.
well Whittaker lost multiple times in UFC already. Silva was undefeated for his first 7 years or so with an amazing highlight reel of finishes over multiple champions.

Could be. Wins over romero, souza, brunson, and hall is impressive and a win over Rockhold would definatley make him the best MW of this generation without a doubt.

However, I think the streak, aura, and way that anderson finished fights is really hard to top. It would take alot for a fighter to really top Anderson as the best MW, same way how holloway topped Aldo. It would take a Holloway esque fighter at MW to take away Anderson's spot as the GOAT MW.

well Whittaker lost multiple times in UFC already. Silva was undefeated for his first 7 years or so with an amazing highlight reel of finishes over multiple champions.
Silva lost to guys worse than Whittaker did before entering the UFC.....

The guy has solid wins against Brunson and two MW monsters Romero and Jacare.
If he defeats Rockhold I'm not calling him goat of course but it's a solid TD.

Besides winning streaks as a champion I also think the quality of the opponents is rather important. Also, the way he got to the title should also be considered.

I'm saying this as a Rockhold fan
Sounds like you're saying this because you are a Rockhold fan, friend. I think you're greatly overestimating the value of beating Rockhold to the question of all time great status.

Whittaker has a great beginning resume, yes. But he'll need another at least 5 or 6 strong wins before we can even BEGIN to speak of him possibly becoming, one day, the GOAT.

If he wins he's got wins over guys in their prime like Romero, Jacare & Rockhold. That's better than Weidman's resume of past prime guys.

Perhaps better than Vitor, but, the Machida win is as good as Jacare, the 2 wins over Anderson are better than Romero + Rockhold.

Again, lets wait till guys defend belts and have some sort of longevity as champion before going and declaring them goat.

Not yet. Let him defend the belt at least... But he does have the skills to go down as a legend.

The guy has solid wins against Brunson and two MW monsters Romero and Jacare.
If he defeats Rockhold I'm not calling him goat of course but it's a solid TD.

Besides winning streaks as a champion I also think the quality of the opponents is rather important. Also, the way he got to the title should also be considered.

I'm saying this as a Rockhold fan

Yeah he's already surpassed AS.

{<BJPeen}

Christ, the majority of people in this thread didn't even bother reading past the title.

Silva lost multiple times before his UFC run, and against largely shitty competition. If you're holding Whittaker's losses in a different weight class against him, surely you have to be consistent.

rank-reynolds-nope-gif.jpg

OMG... he gets the title & we're talking about his GOAT potential... lol.

You realize this is the same division Spider made his GOAT run at right?

He's got a very long way to go... but as the OP mentioned... he's got a great start. Romero & Jacere are just as valid of opponents as if they were title fights. Throw Brunson & Tavarez in under that... & he's got a great looking resume. Lets not get all GOATy about it though.
Anderson would be alongside Jones in the PED cheat GOAT.

If AS faced the fighters Bobby Knuckles faced, he would probably lost a few (especially off PEDs). Most likely taken down and smashed to a pulp or submitted

Whitaker is likely roiding. His career doesn't count. So Anderson still has the better resume
How typical.

When your hero is caught roiding, you start to accuse everyone else too.. typical loser behaviour lol

Could be. Wins over romero, souza, brunson, and hall is impressive and a win over Rockhold would definatley make him the best MW of this generation without a doubt.

However, I think the streak, aura, and way that anderson finished fights is really hard to top. It would take alot for a fighter to really top Anderson as the best MW, same way how holloway topped Aldo. It would take a Holloway esque fighter at MW to take away Anderson's spot as the GOAT MW.
How do you compare 5 fights to 12

Crazy really

When Wonderboy schooled him I didn't think he would amount to much

Funny I thought the same about GSP when Hughes armbarred him in the first round...

If he wins this fight he has the best 3 fight win streak at MW. Even top 5.

Jacare
Romero
Rockhold

My God.

Back