I tried Popa Johns Pizza today. It was awesome.

Enlighten me, I am not that familiar. We do not have many varieties here. We have classic Italian on thin crust, Sicilian with thick soft bread, and American (with a couple varieties but its generally rather thick and more...fried?). Toppings can vary, any chain has good and bad varieties.
It's a thin-crust pizza with large slices, which is based on Neapolitan pizza, but is still significantly different by this point. It's widely considered to be the best pizza in the US, some say in the world.

lucias-08.jpg

NewYorkSlices.jpg

Slices_of_thin-crust_New_York_style_pizza.jpg

Papa John's is more like a typical Midwestern-style pizza, which people from the East Coast where I'm from basically consider to be crap. I guess that's what you call "American pizza" where you live, but in the US we have a lot of different varieties of pizza of varying quality. Papa John's is based in Kentucky and the first location was in a part of Indiana which borders Kentucky. Not exactly a pizza hotbed. I've been to Italy several times and had pizza there, and I'd say the pizza in New York is up there with the pizza you get in Italy.

From the UK, Domino's tastes the best in my opinion, though it is expensive.

Herbies Pizza on the other hand, has an okay pizza, but a garlic and cheese calzone that I absolutely adore, so that is where I get my pizzas from.

Papa John's for me has always been rather poor, dry and like cardboard.

It's a thin-crust pizza with large slices, which is based on Neapolitan pizza, but is still significantly different by this point. It's widely considered to be the best pizza in the US, some say in the world.

lucias-08.jpg

NewYorkSlices.jpg

Papa John's is more like a typical Midwestern-style pizza, which people from the East Coast where I'm from basically consider to be crap. I guess that's what you call "American pizza" where you live, but in the US we have a lot of different varieties of pizza of varying quality. Papa John's is based in Kentucky and the first location was in a part of Indiana which borders Kentucky. Not exactly a pizza hotbed. I've been to Italy several times and had pizza there, and I'd say the pizza in New York is up there with the pizza you get in Italy.
The pics look really good. That is the kind of pizza I like. Lots of tasty cheese, thin but prominent crust.

In the 90s I always loved Pizza Hut but I didn’t have one in my city so it was a rare treat. About five years when I moved to a city with a Pizza Hut I ordered it and my reaction was:
@J Danger
<Huh2><Huh2><Huh2>
The quality had changed dramatically

Has it or have your tastes changed? I always thought Pizza Hut was crap even as a kid in the 80s.

Has it or have your tastes changed? I always thought Pizza Hut was crap even as a kid in the 80s.
Maybe both ? I know my wife and buddies noticed a change as well. Pizza Hut was our ppv pizza and we had to change it.

Literally the worst pizza I ever had was from papa John's, sauce tastes tangy or some shit. I even called them to tell them their pizza sucks and they asked what's wrong so I told them "everything"

I pretty much was saucing on them like white Iverson
Bill-Russell-Not-Impressed.gif

Is POPA JOHN'S a local place? I've been to PAPA JOHN'S.

Papa John's is perfectly serviceable pizza. The garlic and cheese sauces are great, and the cinna-pie was fantastic but I think they got rid of it.

Always have to laugh when I see people talking about how their "local" pizza places are so much better. I lived in a college town for a while and tried all the small pizza places and they were all dogshit. Have fun paying $20 for a large 1-topping pizza while I enjoy my large The Works from Papa John's for $12. <45>

I had to drive 20 mins to get to the nearest location, but it was worth it. Their garlic sauce is fucking awesome, it comes with a hot pepper, and the pizza was pretty good too despite costing the same as the shitty pizza place near my house. Its too bad Papa John was a pussy and stepped down after he was critical of the NFL kneeling and got backlash for it.

Have you no perspective on pizza, man ?! Papa John's is the Strohs of pizza

I've had better pizza from a can

i'm grateful that i live in a location where i don't have to eat that chain pizza garbage.

Was visiting Vegas and saw an add for Detroit style pizza....I'm.from.metro Detroit and dont know WTF

It’s pretty solid. I also like the peppercini that comes with the pizza.

The thing with a lot of these Pizza places is it tastes different depending where you are.

Ok so here is why I think that... I have been to Papa Johns here in Kansas and the pizza is just OK, its not great and its not disgusting, its just moderate. But when I was on vacation in California in 2014 I went to Papa Johns and the pizza was AMAZING, it tasted soooooooooooooooo much better and the taste was different, the sauce tasted different and there seemed to be much cheese on it. And yes this was the exact same topping pizza that I normally always get.

yeah this is the downside of franchises, places like In n out and Chic fil a are generally always good, because they are private owned they don't let random people who have the money become a franchisee because the moment they do that the quality goes to shit.

same with the pizza chains anyone with the right amount of money can open one so some places will taste good some wont, thats what happen with Subway, the majority of people were opening them up for cheap in the early 2000s, and the quality went down, I think it only cost 300k to be a franchisee or something and thats pretty cheap compared to how much it cost to open a mcdonalds

Subway back in the 90s used to be really good, I remember eating them as a kid and they stuffed it with lots of meat and cheese, now I went to a couple of Subways and the thing was stuffed with chopped lettuce, and the person making it weighed the meat on a scale and was stingy on the cheese, sad.

I used to like Quiznos but they all went out of business in my area, but man their toasted sub were amazing.

lucias-08.jpg

NewYorkSlices.jpg

Those pizzas are making me hungry thanks a lot.

Back