How many here are addicted to alcohol?

I'm an alcoholic but I havent had a drink in 7 years. Pretty easy that way.
I was scrolling through the posts to see which one fits me, I think this one fits me best.

Haven't had a drink since December 2016. It's better that way, alcohol pretty much almost ruined my life. I was another guy who could go months without a drink - but would get absolutely smashed those few times I did drink. Low tolerance from rarely drinking plus binge drinking - not a good combination.

I binge drink on weekends. Sometimes Friday night and Saturday night. Sometimes just one of those. I enjoy it, and look forward to it. Never drink alone, always at a social event. I probably have 7-9 drinks when I hit it...beers and martinis. I don’t crave it at all during the week. Not sure what that makes me.

I binge drink on weekends. Sometimes Friday night and Saturday night. Sometimes just one of those. I enjoy it, and look forward to it. Never drink alone, always at a social event. I probably have 7-9 drinks when I hit it...beers and martinis. I don’t crave it at all during the week. Not sure what that makes me.

A social person that likes to drink occasionally, I guess?

It is 9:15 in the morning and I am drinking a beer and eating a microwavable dinner for breakfast.

IMO, only you can really identify if you're an alcoholic. It's different for every one. For me, I was never physically addicted to alcohol. When I quit, I didn't have withdrawals or anything. I did drink every day though. I never really drank a lot of hard liquor. I'd do shots, but I rarely bought bottles. Towards the end, I was drinking a lot of gin, but not like a handle a day or anything. The thing for me was that every time I drank, I drank to get drunk. I wasn't there to have a couple and relax. I was blacking out several nights a week. It was mostly beer, but I was drinking about a 12 pack a day, 6 nights a week. I still excelled at work, I wasn't physically addicted and I didn't try to hide it. I always felt like shit though. Getting out of bed was always a struggle. I made a ton of bad decisions. My life revolved around alcohol.

I also knew I was an alcoholic when I first started drinking at around 13. I liked it too much. Once I started drinking, I really didn't care about the consequences.

Cant sleep if i dont take alcohol in my teens. Yes i think i was addicted back then. But now? No

IDK, I probably have a couple drinks a couple days a week. What does that mean?

I feel I'm on the verge. I have a few beers almost daily. I don't generally even get drunk or anything I'm just used to having a drink after work. There are days here and there where I will down a few too many on weekends. Last weekend I drank 14 light beers on a Saturday but that was over 7-8 hours. Bad thing is alcoholism runs in my family.

I don't really drink anymore, just the odd scotch.

It's just beer for me and wine only with food. I can drink beer all day long, love it. I wish I could find non-alcohol beer that tasted good.

I definitely drank too much a couple years ago. I still drink too much but it's much better now. a few beers a few times a week. I'll have a couple evenings a week where I don't drink as well. On Fri/Sat if I stay up late with some games I might end up with 5 beers into me, that's about as far as it goes 99% of the time.

I drink beer every night. Sometimes 2 sometimes 12. Whatever that makes me.
#metoo
I generally believe its kinda not really a problem but I do notice when I dont have one that I WANT one. Usually only after work though. I can do without but damn if im not thinking about it. Its also starting to do a number on what was once a six pack.

Well, alcohol was responsible for a failed marriage and more than a couple stints in jail. Went to AA for a bit and actually quit altogether for over a year. Married with three kids now, and my life is in pretty good order. I still drink occasionally, but not a blackout drunk like before. The possibility of going back is always in the back of my mind, and I sometimes wonder if I'm one tragedy away from going off the rails again.

I have 1 beer per night almost every night. Then in social settings I'll have 3-6 and couple times a year I'll crush 15-20

Bottle of wine a day for the past 4 years now. I tell myself im not addicted.

I’ll drink sporadically throughout the week. But one bad hangover then i give that shit up for a few weeks.

I enjoy a beer here or there but I’m far from being an alcoholic.

I'll ponder this after my lunch time flight of beer.

I have been drinking at least 3 nights a week for the past 15 years. I'm a sympathetic drinker too. If I see someone else drinking I will too. I only drink to get drunk. If it's hammered down drunk or just a little tipsy I always catch a buzz. Alcohols only redeaming quality is it's intoxicating effects. My wife is the same way so we feed of each other.

Back