GSPs english

He was obviously raised only speaking French which is weird because every other Canadian I've been exposed to uses English naturally.
Let me guess; you are American and do not know that there is a French speaking territory above your head...

GSP is actually more understanble in English than "French."

If you don't believe me, ask Francis Ngannou. If you put the two of them together in a room, and asked them to speak French, Ngannou would have a hard time understanding what GSP is saying, but GSP will understand Ngannou perfectly. It would be better for them to speak English. LOL

GSP can speak a pretty good ''international french'' he's not some Quebec redneck who always uses slang. He does it all the time when he speaks french in UFC press conferences, he knows he's got fans all over the world.

He's been going to France all the time for years, Midoux, one of his mentor his french, he's hanging out with Carmont...

We're not talking creole, everybody can tune down the slang and then we understand each other very well. Accents from Quebec, Africa, Paris, Southern France, Nothern France, Belgium, Switzerland, they are all pretty easy to understand if you speak french without regionalism or slang.

It's like saying that someone from Australia can't understand a british guy

GSP's first language is French yes?

Why would anybody expect his English to be excellent? Chill.

C'est son accent qui est ridicule....

Je comprend pas pourquoi ça s'améliore jamais....

I know plenty of English speaking people who've learnt Spanish or Portuguese and, despite being pretty much fluent, have the worst accents imaginable. Some people just don't have the "ear" for it.

Also, all Quebecois accents are ridiculous. :) (it's ok, mon beau-frère est québécois).

You can live all your life in Quebec without even speaking one word of english.

We have laws to protect french, it's supposed to be the main spoken language in the workplaces, we have laws on advertising, we have laws on music on the radio, you can't put your children in a public english school if your not from canadian-english decent (so almost everybody including the immigrants)

It's also weird to me, but he's got the vocabulary, it's just that he has a very strong accent.

Most french canadians I know can speak english without any accent, but we always hear GSP in a public speaking environnement. I think he sounds better when he's on the phone or when he's in a one on one interview than when he's on a stage.

GSP also sounds off on stage when he speaks in french
I don't mind the accent
It is like saying that a Brazilian has no excuse for not speaking Spanish... You need to wise-up!
Well I've lived in Canada my entire life and have been to Quebec multiple times so I'd consider myself pretty wise on the subject. Even if he wasn't 100% fluent in the Language before his UFC career after all these years of speaking English in interviews, movies, talking in English to training partners and other fighters etc... His grammar should be flawless.

Even in french (canadian) he sounds like gsp..
He's not that charismatic and couldn't talk shit to save his life. The french speaking gsp is no different than english speaking gsp.

He's not a radio host level communicator, but he's got charisma

He's super friendly, seems to be a really good guy, rarely bashes anybody, rarely whines about anything, always complimenting his training partners and friends.

Look at all the good talkers like Koscheck, Rockhold, Woodley, BJ Penn. They sound great but they are always whining, finding excuses, bitching about getting paid

At least Bisping uses his speaking skills to talk shit, even if it's mostly bullshit

The rest of them are brazilians that don't even bother to try speaking english

here we start learning English at the age of 10, why don't they do that in Canada?

It absolutely blows my mind there's white people in North America that don't speak English. Why ?

I'm a fan of GSP however his trash talk is horrible and he sounds like a nerd, as Bisping states. How is his Québécois? Could a forum Québécois speaker comment on that?

Fixed for this asshole.

It absolutely blows my mind there's white people in North America that don't speak English. Why ?

Mexico is North America and Quebecans love their language. Also you speak neither Spanish nor French.

GSP is quite articulated in French even if his parents are clearly less educated. He kind of beat the odds by moving to an higher "social class". Btw I am also French Canadian and just like GSP, I have a very strong accent that I just can't get rid of... and I have been working in an English environment for over 10 years. IMO, people that have strong rationals "mathematical brain" seems to have more difficulties loosing their accents then "artists/literature" people. It must also depends on how early in life you are forced to communicate in English. My young kids are watching shows in English on Netflix and the small amount of english words they know are well enonciated, without any trace of a French accent.
Also, if you speak only one language, you should not even dare to judge!

I don't mind the accent

Well I've lived in Canada my entire life and have been to Quebec multiple times so I'd consider myself pretty wise on the subject. Even if he wasn't 100% fluent in the Language before his UFC career after all these years of speaking English in interviews, movies, talking in English to training partners and other fighters etc... His grammar should be flawless.

Meanwhile Aldo can't order a hamburger in English.

Fan of gsp here but his trash talk is horrible and he does sound like a nerd like bisping states. What does he sound like when he speaks french? Any french speaking people here that can comment?

TS is not impressed with GSP's English.

Why not, we built this country, we are proud, we are 10 millions french speaking people in a relatively small area. (parts of Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick)

We are big enough to have our own institutions, culture and language

English is really important because it's the opening to the world and knowledge. I do every efforts possible to be better at it and to teach it to my kids (the school doesn't do enough)

But it's no reason to flush our culture down the drain and integrate this bland english america.

why do you guys care this much
{<huh}

my sister took 3-5 months for english. her pronunciation is not that good, cuz she really doesnt care. i took 2 weeks french, my pronunciation is godlike, but my grammar sucks, cuz i really dont care :D french is fooking ezz.

{<huh}
{<huh}
{<huh}
{<huh}

what the fuck
{<huh}
{<huh}

My God... I just don't give a fuck.

Back