GSPs english

He was obviously raised only speaking French which is weird because every other Canadian I've been exposed to uses English naturally.
He's from a small town in Quebec. Working-class background in a time before the internet was common especially in places like that. His upbringing wasn't like some of the French-Canadians in Montreal who sound like Americans when they speak English, but also speak perfect French.

Exactly. He didn't learn English (except maybe 2h per week in school) until adulthood (when he started in the UFC mostly). While the majority of people speaks english in Canada, the mix between French and English is not random. There is a huge territory named Quebec with cities where people speaks only French (except Montreal which is multi-cultural city). GSP comes from a small town called Saint-Isidore. Everywhere in Quebec, outside of Montreal, they have tv channel and movie in French, their school is in French, they used to have VHS movies only in French, they work in french and their friends are French, public services are in French and doctors speaks French... So one can have a nice life in St-Isidore without even learning some basic English.
Of course, if GSP was from Toronto and didn't speak english, he would be one weird individual! But having an accent in english when you are from Quebec is pretty much the norm!

As I said, "that I've been exposed to." There are obviously more people like him but I'm guessing they are the minority.

They also speak English. GSP has the accent of someone who didn't learn English til adulthood.

Canada isn't an homogenous society where everybody is bilingual, you're either born in a French family or in an english one.

French are mostly in Quebec, but also in parts of Ontario, Manitoba and New Brunswick. We have the big city (Montreal). People tend to learn english for career advancements, work, college or just to visit the world. But they don't need it in their everyday life.

For me if it wasn't for my hobbies (training, BJJ, videogames, tv shows, visiting the US or talking shit on sherdog) I could spend my entire life without any english. I'm a professionnal, 100% of my clients speak french, every shop I go to is french speaking. I'm not in a remote small town, I'm 30 minutes from downtown Montreal.

For the english speaking families, very few even bother to learn french, even in some part of Quebec they can live without never speaking french.

Mhm whatever you say tough guy. His English hasn't improved at all since his UFC debut but whatever you must be right.
LOL@toughguy. Just calling out your bullshit reasoning and the fact that you're wrong. If English were your second language and you spent the large majority of your time hanging out with French people speaking in French, your English would be perfect, still, that's what you're saying. Try using your head for more than a hat rack.

As I said, "that I've been exposed to." There are obviously more people like him but I'm guessing they are the minority.

Not at all

Parts of Montreal (mostly the east part) are very blue collar, hippies and separatist where there's no need to speak english.

The Quebec City area (about 800 000 people) is fully french canadians and you can live there without speaking any english

All the countryside (Except the eastern townships, and the Gatineau region (near ottawa) is 100% english.

It's a plus to learn it, you can have better jobs involving speaking with english clients and suppliers but most of us could do without it.

GSP is a nice guy. He shouldn’t just shouldn’t bother trying to trash talk. It’s not him, and I actually cringe at trash talk considering it’s all for show and leads to hugs after the fight. Yawn.

he speaks better English than you speak French.

people that make fun of bad English crack me up, they're among the most ignorant out there. you do realize that someone that is speaking English badly knows twice as many languages as you do?
You do realize that English is the most common universal language and the only language that matters to the rest of the world? Who cares if I can’t speak French? Only French people and 1/2 of the Canadian people? But who cares about them??

Exactly. He didn't learn English (except maybe 2h per week in school) until adulthood (when he started in the UFC mostly). While the majority of people speaks english in Canada, the mix between French and English is not random. There is a huge territory named Quebec with cities where people speaks only French (except Montreal which is multi-cultural city). GSP comes from a small town called Saint-Isidore. Everywhere in Quebec, outside of Montreal, they have tv channel and movie in French, their school is in French, they used to have VHS movies only in French, they work in french and their friends are French, public services are in French and doctors speaks French... So one can have a nice life in St-Isidore without even learning some basic English.
Of course, if GSP was from Toronto and didn't speak english, he would be one weird individual! But having an accent in english when you are from Quebec is pretty much the norm!
It's totally smallville around there. I went on a road trip right past there this Summer. The French is as thick as the tortiere

Sexy Jesus is right....like most fighters that use English as a second language, he has to resort to very vanilla and corny/cliche sayings and phrases and a almost dyslexic way of speaking and a whole lotta "how you say" talking....but he always seems to be improving his English

The upside to having a cheesy French accent is it gets women a pussy wet....so there's that

All in all I don't feel bad for his lack of English comprehension and the trash talking abilities that come with it

Claudia gadelha is GOAT when it comes to English progression though BTW...

english do you speak it!?

Getting there....

And that's how it's done

This is actually very impressive.

LOL@toughguy. Just calling out your bullshit reasoning and the fact that you're wrong. If English were your second language and you spent the large majority of your time hanging out with French people speaking in French, your English would be perfect, still, that's what you're saying. Try using your head for more than a hat rack.
His English isn't even bad, he might just have bad grammar in general considering he's been speaking English for at least his entire career and his Grammar/accent are the exact same now as they were 10 years ago.

He is a nerd. He lives an incredibly sheltered life and has no reason to trash talk anyone. His people love him and most shit talkers are too star struck to talk shit to him in person.

Fan of gsp here but his trash talk is horrible and he does sound like a nerd like bisping states. What does he sound like when he speaks french? Any french speaking people here that can comment?

Edit: sherbros misunderstanding my statement. Obviously gsp has an accent and im not making fun of his accent. My spanish sounds incomprehensible, my point was, its hard to express yourself in a language that is not your native tongue. Does GSP express himself better in french?

Sounds goofy for two reasons:

1.) He's speaking a foreign language that he's not 100% fluent in. His native tongue is Canadian French.

2.) He's not much of a trash talker in the first place.

"I may be an easy guy to trash talk, but I'm a hard guy to fight. I let my fists do the talking in the Octagon."

I still think GSP's "fire burns, water is wet" trash talk line was fantastic lol

You do realize that English is the most common universal language and the only language that matters to the rest of the world? Who cares if I can’t speak French? Only French people and 1/2 of the Canadian people? But who cares about them??
Let me guess, you drive a pick-up truck and own a pitbull. You also think its cool to be a bully and you have a very small penis.

Fan of gsp here but his trash talk is horrible and he does sound like a nerd like bisping states. What does he sound like when he speaks french? Any french speaking people here that can comment?

Edit: sherbros misunderstanding my statement. Obviously gsp has an accent and im not making fun of his accent. My spanish sounds incomprehensible, my point was, its hard to express yourself in a language that is not your native tongue. Does GSP express himself better in french?

He's still pretty nerdy in French, but a more fluent nerdy. The stuff he talks about is mostly the same, but sometimes in French interviews I've seen he gets a little more personal than he does in English.

I kind of don't get the myth of robotic GSP to be honest. Posters are always saying he shows no personality, but I think he was one of the first fighters to be relatively open. Sure he doesn't reveal too much about his personal relationships and he gives a lot of canned answers about fighting but how many other fighters would tell you about the fear they feel before fighting, about aliens, dinosaurs and unicorns?

Back