Great fight from Wilder and Fury. But if one guy goes unconscious the fight is over.

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by TheMaster, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Contra-dictator

Contra-dictator Brown Belt

Yes, both were truly amazing and in their own GENUINELY UNIQUE way! The way Fury rose truly reminded me of the undertaker. As I've heard commentators say many times after the bout is waived off "they DON'T get up when they fall like that!!"

2. DeJulez

DeJulez Red Belt

They aren't flocking towards MMA either. No one is.

FightGuyOpenMind likes this.
  3. koipin

koipin Orange Belt

I'd be in a coma from the combo that put Fury down. Amazing recovery.

Your point is valid TS. A good example of this is Froch Groves II where groves was unconscious but then got up and pleaded to continue. He was fucked.

4. ScarfaceJr

ScarfaceJr Black Belt

what a dumb fucking thread.

if you're unconscious you're not getting up in 10 seconds.

5. jabelar

jabelar Blue Belt

The "if this was MMA" or "if this was a street fight" doesn't work logically because if it was actually MMA and there was grappling and submissions allowed then Fury would have been using all those techniques against Wilder. And I'm pretty sure that in MMA Fury would be more even more dominant over Wilder. If Fury was using all his weight, reach, trickiness and guts to deliver takedowns, kicks, elbows, etc. -- think about it.

So you can't just pick the 10-count part and compare that with MMA, you have to take all of MMA to do the analysis. And since the timing, rules, ring, etc are all different it simply can't be compared.

In any case, boxing has had to deal with this "how do we tell if he's finished" question for a long time and the 10-count is a reasonable solution. It is enough time to weed out losses of balance and minor wobbles while not being enough time for a seriously KOed guy to recover. This works in boxing because the fight doesn't continue to the ground. You can't do this in MMA cause a KOed fighter might get greatly injured while getting further punishment on the ground. So MMA needs the ref to call it.

6. tekkennlee

tekkennlee Hot cars and fast girls

People still talk trash about Wilder being this terrible boxer ,but he isn't, even i said this, because Fury does this to everyone even the great Klitchko and Wilder was able to do to Fury what even Klutchko couldn't do ,catch him and drop him twice and had him dead to rights out cold, so Wilder isn't as terrible at actually boxing then we all thought and he's got drive heart and guts, I think a little more training and timing issues that can be corrected, he stops Fury early and could actually outbox him parts of their fight.

So let's not fool ourselves anymore, Wilder is actually a good champion and could get better and with that crazy punching power stop Fury earlier next time, but can he actualy outbox and outthink the best boxers out there no, but he can knock anybody in the history of boxing out cold.

7. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Red Belt

* the Ortiz KO was a cheapshot. Let's not overestimate Floyd's power here. He hasn't knocked out an actual pro boxer who was aware they were fighting in a long long fucking time.
    (Hatton?)

8. BoxingMMA

BoxingMMA Purple Belt

In boxing there's a 10 count, he beat the count, so it's good.

In MMA you are at the mercy of a ref, in other words, in MMA rules Deontay could very well have lost to Ortiz when he was knocked out on his feet. Many a MMA ref would have stepped in to save him from more punishment.

So either way you have your quirks

NoBiasJustMMA likes this.
  9. Ultra O’Dia

Ultra O’Dia Purple Belt

its just the way it is.
    what about fights where one guy knocks the other down, then viceversa, except actually unconcious for a ten count? did the first guy still win, even though he was unconcious?

Also - Fury wasnt slightly hurt the first knockdown. more off-balance.

I wouldnt even disagree with you if you were pushing for a strikin sport where as soon as you lose your feet the fight is over. its not a bad idea. but the rules are how they are.

10. Culombo

Culombo Purple Belt

none of this happened .. you sound like you just wanted wilder to win regardless of what fury did .. if he was knocked out, he wouldn't have been able to get up right away and fight back and stay on his feet without getting knocked down again by wilder .. wilder would have killed him if he truly had been knocked silly because he would've been out on his feet

knockdowns happen .. it doesn't give you a fight .. fury won most rounds .. it was his fight .. 'pro boxing' is a joke

11. goronsaki

goronsaki Orange Belt

Yeah that should have been a KO

12. RyanPatrick

RyanPatrick White Belt

He got up within 10 seconds. I find it interesting that many other fighters though fury won. . Lewis, Mayweather, GGG

13. FightGuyOpenMind

FightGuyOpenMind Purple Belt

Did you think the count was slow for the second knockdown?

14. FightGuyOpenMind

FightGuyOpenMind Purple Belt

I was actually thinking how they do the Ippon in Judo. If you fall completely on your back, both shoulders, fight is over. Is what it is. Rematch should be good.

15. DeJulez

DeJulez Red Belt

Protect yourself at all times.
    Lets not forget what led up to the punch. A headbutt by Ortiz

16. The Witcher

The Witcher відродитися

Wrong, you can definitely go out for a few seconds. How you came to that conclusion i will never know.

17. opie

opie Black Belt

that is a knockout

18. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Red Belt

Them's the rules. No arguments there.

And I'm not sure what is the appropriate amount of hugs and glove touches following an obviously intentional headbutt, but Ortiz exceeded it and his dumb ass should have kept his gloves up....

But it was still a cheap shot.

19. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Red Belt

It definitely wasn't. I've watched video on it. He was on his feet in less than 10 seconds. (It was about nine but absolutely < 10)

If I recall the clock he hit the matt at 2:21 (so even at a one second exact count, 2:20 would be "one") and by 2:11 he is in his feet with his gloves in front of him.

There was a video of it on YouTube courtesy of Zombie Prophet.

20. B0mbSquad

B0mbSquad Purple Belt

I'm glad the ref gave the count, but there's a world where we waves that one off. Fury fell to the ground limp with his eyes rolled back.

opie likes this.