News GLORY returns to France for event at Dôme de Paris, April 27

I dont necessarily disagree but today KB isn't mainsteam in France and the Gen Z don't know who Geronimo is. KB aren't mainstream anymore here. They're well known in combat sport circles tho
Le Banner is actually quite known outside of combat sport circles. He's been in movies and is quite often on famous panel tv shows and even game shows like Fort Bayard. He's a bit of a combat sport icon and a meme of a big muscly brute in France (even though he's actually a nice guy and quite intelligent).

*Edit* this guy just typed the same thing first with even more details:

Le Banner totally went the equivalent of "mainstream" when he was in his prime, and kept getting invited everywhere even after his prime was over

He had a pretty big talking role in that movie that invited a bunch of influences, "Asterix 3" with Alain Delon & Gerard Depardieu (what a piece of shit movie that was, total flop despite the enormous promo, but the second one of the trilogy was an gigantic cultural hit so they thought this one was going to shit gold too... )

Le Banner was invited to every shitty show with Cauet or Ruquier or any of these bootlickers
Teenagers ate that shit up instead of tiktok

There were a bunch of years in which you could stop any dude in the street to name a French kickboxer, and even total noobs at least knew Le Banner
He's the Teddy Riner/David Douillet of kickboxing

Sure he never went Conor famous, nobody becomes Conor famous

Francis Ngannou also started his career and had half of his UFC fights while he was training in France (no need to look it up)
We half-reclame him

Damn, just realized that Bobo Sacko is on the card. I missed that and he's one of the guys I had in mind at 65 - 70 kg that they should have on the card. Sick!

Agreed that it's great to have Boughanem on the card, but I wouldn't say he's the best known dude by a long margin by the French or even French speakers, I think Bobo Sacko probably tops him in popularity or at least just as known. Great that they're both on the card either way.
GLORY signed a bunch of French fighters just last month:

Le Banner is actually quite known outside of combat sport circles. He's been in movies and is quite often on famous panel tv shows and even game shows like Fort Bayard. He's a bit of a combat sport icon and a meme of a big muscly brute in France (even though he's actually a nice guy and quite intelligent).

Je crois qu on oublie tous un peu vite son rôle dans le chef d œuvre d anticipation qu était "Fatal" ha ha ha ha ha

I'm french I know of Lebanner lol. He's an absolute legend. He never really broke into mainstream like Doumbe, BSD and Gane are now tho. Also his peak is from the late 90s to 2006. It was a different era in terms of exposure. He's the most well known kickboxer in France for millenials and age above tho that's true.

1712080634643.jpeg

GLORY 91 FULL FIGHT CARD ANNOUNCED FOR PARIS

The GLORY welterweight title will be on the line in the main event as the reigning & defending champion Endy Semeleer (35-1, 17 KO) welcomes the challenge of top contender Chico Kwasi (42-5, 22 KO).

In the co-main event, after his crazy GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix performance, the wild & exciting Bahram Rajabzadeh (66-2, 58 KO) steps down to light heavyweight and meets the hard-hitting Paris-based Kevin Oumar (33-4, 7 KO), a French kickboxing champion & budding MMA star.

Belgian-Moroccan superstar Youssef Boughanem (243-42-11, 159 KO) steps into the GLORY ring for the very first time in his illustrious career as he meets the Ukraine’s Stanislav Kazantsev (25-8-1, 7 KO).

The best of French kickboxing will be on display throughout the rest of the card as a host of the nation’s top stars will be in action against opponents from all over the world.

The rest of the main card will feature top French heavyweight Sofian Laïdouni (35-3-1, 17 KO) going up against German veteran Vladimir Tok (51-19, 28 KO), the always exciting Pascal Toure (18-6, 6 KO) of Lyon takes on former title contender Mo Amine (29-6, 16 KO), the highly anticipated GLORY return of French star Cyril Benzaquen (57-12-3, 8 KO) as he faces tough Dutch fighter Jos van Belzen (9-3, 3 KO), and veteran French fighter Bobo Sacko (75-6-1, 29 KO) comes in to make his GLORY debut and will face top Spaniard David Mejia (61-16, 18 KO).

GLORY 91 will also feature a top-quality preliminary card headlined by Paris’ own Diaguely Camara (24-5-1, 10 KO) versus Robin Ciric (21-7, 7 KO) of the Netherlands and supported by a battle of prospects as Morocco’s Ismail Ouzgni (4-1, 1 KO) meets France’s Mehdi Ait El Hadj (31-4-2, 8 KO) and, lastly, Germany’s Florian Kroger (19-10, 6 KO) welcomes budding French star Ramy Deghir (5-1-1, 5 KO) into GLORY in the opening fight of the night.

Tickets for GLORY 91 are available GLORYKickboxing.com.

GLORY 91 will be available to watch live exclusively on Videoland in the Netherlands, exclusively on DAZN in France & Belgium, and on Bally Live in North America. For full global broadcast information, please visit the GLORY 91 event page.

GLORY 91 Fight Card

Main Event
GLORY Welterweight Title

Champion Endy Semeleer (35-1, 17 KO) vs. #1 Chico Kwasi (42-5, 22 KO)

Co-Main Event
Light Heavyweight

Bahram Rajabzadeh (66-2, 58 KO) vs. Kevin Oumar (33-4, 7 KO)

Catchweight 72 kg
Youssef Boughanem (243-42-11, 159 KO) vs. Stanislav Kazantsev (25-8-1, 7 KO)

Heavyweight
#6 Sofian Laïdouni (35-3-1, 17 KO) vs. Vladimir Tok

Light Heavyweight
#5 Mo Amine (29-6, 16 KO) vs. #9 Pascal Toure (1806, 6 KO)

Welterweight
#10 Jos van Belzen (9-3, 2 KO) vs. Cyril Benzaquen (57-12-3, 8 KO)

Featherweight
#10 David Mejia vs. Bobo Sacko (75-6-1, 29 KO)

Preliminary Card

Welterweight

#6 Robin Ciric (21-7, 7 KO) vs. Diaguely Camara (24-5-1, 10 KO)

Welterweight
#5 Ismail Ouzgni (4-1, 1 KO) vs. Mehdi Ait El Hadj (31-4-2, 8 KO)

Middleweight
Florian Kroger (19-10, 6 KO) vs. Ramy Deghir (5-1-1, 5 KO)

Multiple-time MuayThai world champion Youssef Boughanem has signed with GLORY Kickboxing and is set to fight on Glory 91 in Dôme de Paris, April 27!
The Moroccan-Belgian fighter will take on Mike’s Gym protégé Stanislav Kazentsev, who’s from Ukraine:

I did a little write-up about this signing with my Dutch combat sports outlet MainEventNL.
Here’s the English translation:

Youssef Boughanem is a former WBC Muay Thai, Lumpinee Stadium, Rajadamnern Stadium, WKN, and Thai Fight champion with a legendary record of 191-24-4.

The Moroccan-Belgian MuayThai fighter had a successful MMA-debut earlier this year at Fight and Furious, defeating his opponent in the second round with hard knees and punches.

French combat sports outlet La Sueur has just announced that Youssef Boughanem will debut on April 27th during GLORY 91 at the Dôme de Paris, France.
His will take on the Ukrainian Stanislav Kazentsev. They will fight at a catchweight of 72kg.

How will Youssef Boughanem fare in GLORY Kickboxing? 🇲🇦

-

✍🏽: Maurits School
📸: Youssef Boughanem

Follow MainEventNL

@spinup @Richard Fannin @Sasha @Koala @Koya @Jean-MMA @Trupsi @amok attitude @FrappeDuRocma @Rum that Chimay-Leffe @I.Broke.The.Bat! @Gohel @frontkick1 @Volumes @DC23 @Tronald Dump @Gamer007 @DjolexMTL

What do my French Sherbro’s think?
This news made it to several French media outlets like La Sueur, that’s why I’m asking.
Boughanem is quite a big name in combat sports and almost has 600k Instagram-followers, so I was wondering how big of a deal he/this is over there??
I know Youssef did his MMA-debut in France, and some of his fights made it to La Sueur before, so I’m really curious what you guys have to say:

Thanks for the replies guys! :)
@Koya @Tayski @I.Broke.The.Bat! @amok attitude @KBE6EKCTAH_CCP @Richard Fannin

@spinup Nicolas is fighting for the ONE title next against Regian Eersel, amazing matchup:

@spinup Happening this Friday!:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back