News GLORY introduces a new strategy for 2024, year of the Grand Prix at HW, LHW, MW and WW

Smart/Exciting concept for 2024?

• Total voters

BoxerMaurits

The Dutchman
Platinum Member
Reaction score

GLORY Introduces a New Strategy for 2024

New GLORY executive director, Maurice Hols, is proud to reveal exciting new plans and event layout in 2024 for GLORY – the world’s largest kickboxing organisation.
Building on the great success of 2023, GLORY will continue to bring more events to a wider international audience throughout the upcoming year.
The focus of these events will be thrilling one-night GLORY Grand Prix tournaments across the heavyweight, light heavyweight, middleweight, and welterweight divisions. This will kick-off with the eight-man one-night heavyweight Grand Prix in March and will culminate in a special end-of-year championship event.
Each GLORY event and every fight will matter. As a result, fans can expect more action, elevated storytelling, and the creation of new stars of kickboxing through these Grand Prix and special superfights.
“Kickboxing is the most exciting form of stand-up combat sports in the world and our goal is delivering the most exciting product to the fans,” said Maurice Hols, GLORY executive director. “The Grand Prix will have fans on the edge of their seats with guaranteed action & entertainment every time, in addition to improved storytelling centred around the fighters. This is part of a new long-term strategy that will help elevate the fan & viewer experience and will bring even more eyes to GLORY.”
“Grand Prix events hold a special place in the history of our sport,” said Robbie Timmers, GLORY matchmaker. “They have built stars and given fans so many enjoyable moments. Fighting three times on the same night against the best in the world is a different level in combat sports, so we will see who the world’s baddest fighters truly are.”

Good idea in concept but if they’re executed like the heavyweight Grand Prix with so many qualifying matches and a delay it won’t be that good. Just take the top 8 in a Grand Prix with rank 9 vs 10 as a reserve match.

The qualifying matches are a good idea but having them spread over 9 months isn’t the best way to go about it. Like the first qualifying match was in April, the last one is coming up on the 23rd.

If they wanna keep the qualifying matches they should get them all on one or two cards. But the lhw, mw and ww tournaments should still be fun

Grand Prix returns are LONG overdue. That was what had me deep into K-1. The whole grand-prix format is the shizznizzle.

@CalmLlama His middle paragraph says that it's one night events, not spread out over time.

Whats the format for the one night tourney?

Will they be potentially fighting 3x
3 round fights in one night?

Do alternates that fill in have a fight first?
(Or could they come in for the final only and win the whole thing on one fight?)

4 knockdown rule for each fight?

I hope it is a huge success.
Tourneys are fun.

This could be a great way for kickboxing and Glory to gain more market share within the combat sports Fandom, ad a LOT of MMA fans miss one night tournaments amd remember them fondly.

This could be a great way for kickboxing and Glory to gain more market share within the combat sports Fandom, ad a LOT of MMA fans miss one night tournaments amd remember them fondly.
Glory was doing this for the first few years of the promotion and it didn't really give them a huge bump honestly.

The one Joe Schilling won was pretty fun though.

As long as they make them meaningful I'm in.

I want names

And don´t ever do 2 min 2 KD format ever again.

Let's not give Badr a grand prix spot, please and thank you.

Let's not give Badr a grand prix spot, please and thank you.

Call me a sadist if you want, but I'll happily see Badr get TKO'd once more in embarrassing fashion. Those salty Moroccan tears are a delight.

Someone needs to give Tyrone Spong a call.
Well well well 👀

I wonder how much Spong (might have) aged. He still looks sharp in the video above, he just looks like a complete different human being, lol.
This vid is from about 2,5 years ago:

Yea I'd love to see it. Hopefully the most overrated kickboxer every Rico enters he would have more losses even to the subpar competition he fight if he had to fight in the grand prix style he would lose more. He has fought nothing but trash the last eight years.

Yea I'd love to see it. Hopefully the most overrated kickboxer every Rico enters he would have more losses even to the subpar competition he fight if he had to fight in the grand prix style he would lose more. He has fought nothing but trash the last eight years.
Dumb take all around. Rico is fighting in this tournament. Rico hasn't only fought "trash" during his run.

Thank you Glory

Amazing news and will make kickboxing and hopefully Japanese MMA great again.

Some of the small pool of K1 GP winners are immortalised through Japanese MMA before the big leagues

I hope they make the production as close to 90s K1 as possible and co promote a card with PFL and Inoki Bom Ba Ye or Rizin

Dumb take all around. Rico is fighting in this tournament. Rico hasn't only fought "trash" during his run.
Wrong his best win since 2015 is who Jamal Ben Saddik. He was getting killed in both fight with Hari until he injured himself Rico is ok.

Back