PBP GLORY 88: Badr Hari vs James McSweeney, Sat Sept. 9 at 2pm ET/11am PT, PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins?

• Total voters
I respect Badr’s decision but he should have communicated it before the event. I understand that that would potentially turn out bad for the event, but his reasons to choose not to fight were because the people who are affected by the earthquake are (understandably) more important than entertainment, so then there’s no reason to wait with the announcement for so long. And also I think it’s strange to refuse to speak English…. So many people pay money to see him fight and then he does not even want to speak English..

Poor @BoxerMaurits got his event ruined. What was the atmosphere like in there
Yeah man it sucks for me and my dad as fans who traveled all the way from NL to Paris (and all the other fans)…
Other Moroccans indeed decided to still fight, as we now Badr didn’t, but I’m not judging him

And from way before the fight

upload_2023-9-10_3-8-43.jpeg

It’s cool seeing McSweeney being all classy about the situation

Anyways, I still had a good time (but obviously we came for the main-event so that was a big bummer).

Got to talk to heavyweight tournament qualifier Sofian Laïdouni for some time, he’s a very nice dude:

upload_2023-9-10_3-19-2.jpeg

And I bumped into the champ on the streets, Tiffany van Soest:

upload_2023-9-10_3-22-1.jpeg

Her management/friends told me she’s getting paid absolute peanuts compared to Badr

Anyways, I still had a good time (but obviously we came for the main-event so that was a big bummer).

Got to talk to heavyweight tournament qualifier Sofian Laïdouni for some time, he’s a very nice dude:

View attachment 1000695

And I bumped into the champ on the streets, Tiffany van Soest:

View attachment 1000696

Her management/friends told me she’s getting paid absolute peanuts compared to Badr

Hope you had fun, mate.

Tiffany manager should negotiate better

First of all, my heart and duas goes out to everyone suffering in Morroco.

what boggles my mind is why did Hari pull out but whilst many of his compatriots fought their heart out? Win or lose, he should've set an example for them, if anything else. Man what a letdown.

Glory sucks as an organisation as they surely have known this would've happen, but instead they've milked the fans dry for their own monetary gain. Really sad.

Last edited:
Badr is a fucking disgrace, waiting for the last moment to back out. This guy could have fought and donate his purse to the victims in morocco. Also I don't believe he really was that emotional distraught. the guy has a history of criminal behavior. beating up innocent people and threathening witnesses, now he is mother theresa...
I also think Glory has a lot to answer for, everybody that paid for the event should get their money back.

So he was “shook” from the earthquake (I know I know bad joke)
@BoxerMaurits you should of stepped up brother and saved the card haha you could take him
Suprised Mcsweeny is still banging!
I was willing to step in if they paid me Badr’s gage… they wouldn’t pay me that so I decided to stay out of the ring, lol

All profits were donated? That's all well and good. But how about reimbursing your tickets back? @BoxerMaurits

As usual lip service from Ruddman. Sick and tired of these jokers running Glory.
I don’t think so bud. It’s a bummer for us and the other fans ofcourse (paying for travel, hotel, event-tickets, beer, hookers, etc.), but we still got to see 11 out of 12 fights you know.. (despite Badr Hari vs James McSweeney being the main reason me and my dad, and a lot of others made the trip all the way to Paris). Refunding everyone’s tickets would be a financial disaster for GLORY.

Also, will Badr and James still get paid, or maybe a part of their agreed purse? I’ve been wondering that

Also, will Badr and James still get paid, or maybe a part of their agreed purse? I’ve been wondering that

Hmmm fair enough. Sounds like you've had a really good time hahaa. I agree about the financial disaster Glory don't have that financial muscle. I also don't think Badr got paid( not that he needs the money). However, I reckon Mcsweeneyt got paid for show money at least.

When I see those head kick KOs where only the foot makes contact it makes me feel bad for the guys who get blasted with a tibia.

I don’t think so bud. It’s a bummer for us and the other fans ofcourse (paying for travel, hotel, event-tickets, beer, hookers, etc.), but we still got to see 11 out of 12 fights you know.. (despite Badr Hari vs James McSweeney being the main reason me and my dad, and a lot of others made the trip all the way to Paris). Refunding everyone’s tickets would be a financial disaster for GLORY.

In most jurisdictions, if the headline act / event changes, you are required to offer refunds, because people have bought tickets on that basis. You can freely change the undercard - and it will usually be marked 'subject to change' anyway - but headline bouts are different, where the event is sold as NAME vs NAME specifically.

That rule is what killed Affliction MMA when their headline fight fell apart before their third PPV, and I've experienced it with other promotions I've worked for.

Not sure what the French law on that is, but I would be surprised if it's different. When you buy a ticket to "Name vs Name" or X-artist musical act, you're actually entering into a contract, which is why there are so many terms and conditions attached to ticket sales.

I don't totally fault Glory or Hari for how this played out, I can understand their arguments.

I do agree though that this event was sold on Hari's name primarily, so I could see how their could be an argument for issuing refunds. That said, I'm not seeing a push for that by the people that attended the event. Obviously with a big portion of them being Moroccan I'm sure their fine with their money essentially being donated to Morocco.

I will fault Glory however for continuing to build their brand on Hari who IMO is cursed, in addition to being completely washed. He hasn't won a fight since 2015. He's just low hanging fruit to bring in the Moroccan fans but that's not a sustainable model.

Back