Fighters who people call Legends, but you think aren’t.

I got to laugh at some of the names people call legends. Still I don't knock some of those names being in the HOF. The HOF can be for those who are legends, forerunners, great contributors to the sport and headliners during the growth years.

I just think there was lots of luck surrounding Matt Hughes for him to be considered a legend. His best wins were avenged(Penn and GSP). I'm guessing some purists will make the Sakurai and Newton wins to be bigger due to the timing of the wins.
Matt Hughes was more of a signal of shifting styles, IMO. Prior to Matt, most wrestlers in MMA were these big slow Greco Roman guys, like Hendo and Couture. Then Matt comes in with a faster, smoother, more explosive style, based on excellent timing and level changes, which became the template for MMA wrestlers. A pioneer for sure, but legend might be debatable.

I'm actually inclined to agree. Big Nog was a terrible striker and blocked punches with his face. His success came from being one of the few high level BJJ guys in a time when BJJ was still fairly new and most guys only had a few years training in it. Ala Royce, but a slightly more evolved version. The only other guy in Pride who had submission grappling at that level was Fedor, and he destroyed Nog.
The only thing 'terrible' here is your post, Im afraid...

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/d...art-16-the-2-hw-goats.3851935/#post-145851601

Last edited:
Militech was the first WW champ. Chuck him on there, he put that division on the map with Matt hughes also

Like usual the scope wasn’t framed properly therefore the arguments are mostly folks talking past each other.

Obviously if fan A has a legends list of 30 and fan B has a legends list of 12, they will disagree over half the time.

So TSs question was designed - intentional or not - for fun but not to get to the bottom of anything.

I’m going to limit the scope. Here are 20 names https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1148157-20-mma-legends-that-will-never-be-replaced. Of them, which do you think don’t belong?

My only answer is Forest Griffin. If I had to name a second person I suppose it would be Vitor or Tito.

And if your own personal “legends list” is a lot less liberal than mine - and there’s nothing right or wrong with that - than you would strike more of those 20 names.

Similarly, if there are names you would add, say it.

The term a legend in this sport gets thrown around a lot to give mma some kind of epic long history. Terms like goats started getting thrown around in the ealy 2000s when the sport was but a decade old.

So who are some fighters you hear people calling a legend but just arent, and why don’t you think they are.

My example: Pat Miletich, he was a good fighter back in the hey day, good striking and good grappling, but didnt really have a strong career or establish himself as the man, never really had character as far as notoriety or style.
You could call him a legend because of the team he established after his fighting career was over. They had several world titles and were a force to be reckoned with.

GSP is arguably the GOAT, how do you not consider him a legend?
Statistically , maybe, but I can't recall a fight besides the Hendricks fight that I didn't fall asleep through. I just never found him that exciting, personality wise and style wise.

You don’t consider the guy with like 7 straight defenses a legend? Did you confuse the question with “guys you don’t personally like”?

<{hughesimpress}>
My biggest gripe has got to be him vacating the belt and not taking that 2nd hendriks fight.

Let the butthurt begin

GSP? Lmao
More like GSP? Zzzzzzz....

The term "Legend" gets misused with other terms like "pioneer" and "iconic fighter

Realistically speaking all fighters from the past would get their ass beat by the current champions.
I totally agree with that

If you don't think the guy who is the consensus WW GOAT as well as the one most people consider the overall GOAT is a legend, you're a blatant hater.
Not a fan of how he vacated the belt and didn't want to fight Hendricks a 2nd time, I feel like the majority of people think he lost that fight and doing that , too me at least, feels subpar for a guy like GSP

Last edited:
What's the criteria for an MMA legend?

If Frankie Edgar doesn't qualify, I guess I'm misunderstanding the term. He's had some amazing fights, one of the greatest comebacks of all time, a world champion, and has more heart than anyone.

There are many pioneers that qualify because very few paved the way for what MMA is today. So, guys like Frank Shamrock or Mark Coleman would probably be considered legends. Guys like Woodley, for example, and other current top fighters are at a serious disadvantage. Woodley is not near the legend Matt Hughes is, for instance.

Frankie could retire today.. And would be a legend. Legendary comebacks vs maynard, he was a lightweight champ, beat prime penn

Dont make me do this! Ok, here we go

Beats UNDEFEATED tyson griffin who was a beast @The time.

Crushes mark bocek, a strong grappler and fighter.

He then picks apart spencer the king fisher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back