Fighters who people call Legends, but you think aren’t.

What's the criteria for an MMA legend?

If Frankie Edgar doesn't qualify, I guess I'm misunderstanding the term. He's had some amazing fights, one of the greatest comebacks of all time, a world champion, and has more heart than anyone.

There are many pioneers that qualify because very few paved the way for what MMA is today. So, guys like Frank Shamrock or Mark Coleman would probably be considered legends. Guys like Woodley, for example, and other current top fighters are at a serious disadvantage. Woodley is not near the legend Matt Hughes is, for instance.

I think Frankie falls just short. Has had some very entertaining scraps and his run at LW was admirable for an undersized guy but never really beat the elite guys in their prime, didn't beat BJ the first time either imo. His FW run was decent but came up short in both his title fights and didn't really give Aldo a competitive fight tbh.

Just wait until they induce Arianny to UFC Hall of Fame.
article-0-135BB4F8000005DC-22_468x688.jpg

From the UFC Hall of Fame, it would be Pat, Maurice Smith (WTF), Serra, Faber, Roussey

From the people's point of view, well, who are the legends?
BJ
GSP
Silva
Chuck
Tito
Fedor
Randleman
Nog
Royce
Randy
Cro Cop
Hendo
Bas
Reem
Shogun
Vitor
I think you forgot Frank Shamrock

BJ Penn. A pioneer, but "legend" is a stretch. If he's a legend, then what is a fighter like GSP? A myth?

That word has to be reserved for fighters that have absolutely destroyed an entire division and dominated for almost a decade.

Cro Cop n Tim Boetch are not really legends

Nothing but casuals on this forum now. I knew it was bad. But wow.

I just think there was lots of luck surrounding Matt Hughes for him to be considered a legend. His best wins were avenged(Penn and GSP). I'm guessing some purists will make the Sakurai and Newton wins to be bigger due to the timing of the wins.

The term "Legend" gets misused with other terms like "pioneer" and "iconic fighter"

Realistically speaking all fighters from the past would get their ass beat by the current champions.

conner, the diaz bros , gsp, and pettis
If you don't think the guy who is the consensus WW GOAT as well as the one most people consider the overall GOAT is a legend, you're a blatant hater.

Dont see how, especially concerning Big Nog...
I'm actually inclined to agree. Big Nog was a terrible striker and blocked punches with his face. His success came from being one of the few high level BJJ guys in a time when BJJ was still fairly new and most guys only had a few years training in it. Ala Royce, but a slightly more evolved version. The only other guy in Pride who had submission grappling at that level was Fedor, and he destroyed Nog.

Back