Fighters who people call Legends, but you think aren’t.

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The term a legend in this sport gets thrown around a lot to give mma some kind of epic long history. Terms like goats started getting thrown around in the ealy 2000s when the sport was but a decade old.

So who are some fighters you hear people calling a legend but just arent, and why don’t you think they are.

My example: Pat Miletich, he was a good fighter back in the hey day, good striking and good grappling, but didnt really have a strong career or establish himself as the man, never really had character as far as notoriety or style.

The term a legend in this sport gets thrown around a lot to give mma some kind of epic long history. Terms like goats started getting thrown around in the ealy 2000s when the sport was but a decade old.

So who are some fighters you hear people calling a legend but just arent, and why don’t you think they are.

My example: Pat Miletich, he was a good fighter back in the hey day, good striking and good grappling, but didnt really have a strong career or establish himself as the man, never really had character as far as notoriety or style.
Who said that about Miletich?

legend is the most vague term thrown around.

If you can agree as to what factors constitute legendary mma status I might be be able to weigh in on who fits into this category.

legend is the most vague term thrown around.

If you can agree as to what factors constitute legendary mma status I might be be able to weigh in on who fits into this category.
Someone who is almost mystical. Had an epic career with many accomplishments, had their own signature style or way of fighting.

What's the criteria for an MMA legend?

If Frankie Edgar doesn't qualify, I guess I'm misunderstanding the term. He's had some amazing fights, one of the greatest comebacks of all time, a world champion, and has more heart than anyone.

There are many pioneers that qualify because very few paved the way for what MMA is today. So, guys like Frank Shamrock or Mark Coleman would probably be considered legends. Guys like Woodley, for example, and other current top fighters are at a serious disadvantage. Woodley is not near the legend Matt Hughes is, for instance.

Back