Fake News: Iconic Crying Migrant Girl Was Never Separated from Mother, Says Father

I don't believe that you would be as fired up about this issue if not for sensationalist media coverage like that photo.

Here's what's happening: Trump and the Republicans are proposing legislative revisions to TVPRA and the Flores Settlement Agreement so that families can be detained together until deportation and repatriation. By contrast, the Democrats' bill would do nothing to fix these issues, thereby forcing "catch and release" upon DHS.

Funny how most of the republicans ancestors invaded North America.(I know they like to use the word settled here lol.) They claim that they left Europe because of oppression.

They then make laws to stop others from doing the same thing lol. The hypocrisy is embarrassing to say the least.

You and anyone in danger or in extreme poverty would do anything to better their lives regardless of a law.(Don't say you wouldn't.)

Just because other countries have dumb border policies and laws doesn't mean America can't be a better example since America itself was developed because of immigration lol.

I'm sure the natives would like you to be deported too lol.

It does when the entire movement is based on a symbol and there is no real truth behind it. BTW I'm not saying that is the case here.
Then your post seems kind of pointless. Even Michael Brown, arguably the most inappropriate symbol that been used in a social movement in modern times, does not invalidate the movement against racism and violence in policing.

liberals are so easily persuaded by pathos. its hilarious

The problem is you guys watch this shit to begin with. I haven't turned on CNN, FOX, or MSNBC in YEARS

Funny how most of the republicans ancestors invaded North America.(I know they like to use the word settled here lol.) They claim that they left Europe because of oppression.

They then make laws to stop others from doing the same thing lol. The hypocrisy is embarrassing to say the least.

You and anyone in danger or in extreme poverty would do anything to better their lives regardless of a law.(Don't say you wouldn't.)

Just because other countries have dumb border policies and laws doesn't mean America can't be a better example since America itself was developed because of immigration lol.

I'm sure the natives would like you to be deported too lol.

The natives were brought, and faced with, a much more advanced culture. Your analogy fails on many levels.

<TrumpWrong1>

Also you aren’t qualified to grade anything
F-

My point was that we often choose symbols that do not accurately depict the movement. This is normal, according to my experience. Symbols are not selected for their factual accuracy, but for their emotional properties. It's an unfortunate distraction that we end up arguing over symbols. Your turn, respond.

Then your post seems kind of pointless. Even Michael Brown, arguably the most inappropriate symbol that been used in a social movement in modern times, does not invalidate the movement against racism and violence in policing.

I disagree. the BLM acts like police shooting innocent black men is an epidemic when all the facts show it's not even close. Yeah it really really sucks when an innocent person gets shot, but 99% of the time it's not racially motivated.

The natives were brought, and faced with, a much more advanced culture. Your analogy fails on many levels.

Justify then huh? Just because you have advance technology or education doesn't mean we treat other less then humans.

I disagree. the BLM acts like police shooting innocent black men is an epidemic when all the facts show it's not even close. Yeah it really really sucks when an innocent person gets shot, but 99% of the time it's not racially motivated.
You didn't give a reason for disagreeing. Let's find out if you can see what you did there.

You claim that the low frequency of racially motivated police shootings is what invalidates the movement. That's an argument about evidence, not an argument about symbolism. And while I don't think your argument is good, it's at least addressing a fact of the matter. It's not a symbolic argument, or strawmanning the Michael Brown case. It's an effort to get to the heart of the issue. You did that without referring to any symbols of the movement.

It seems like when pressed, you actually agree with me, that the symbol is not the important part of the argument. The symbol is the important thing that starts the conversation, by evoking an image in our minds. Then we do the logic and the arguing.

Justify then huh? Just because you have advance technology or education doesn't mean we treat other less then humans.
That's true.. You build a better society with laws and let different people fully participate. It took a while, but it happened. What other people in the world, besides Europeans, have done that?

Shit happens all the time. The symbol that emotionally moves the most people is selected by imagery and mythology, rather than by fact. It's just a symbol. We need to understand that and get over it. Choosing the "wrong" symbol does not invalidate a movement.
No, it doesn't.
But for me, getting in line behind seeming bad actor after bad actor undercut the legitimacy of the movement rather badly.

But then I was a kid in Queens when Tawana Brawley happened

. Your assignment is to find it and quote it, and then comment on it. I'll grade your effort.
lol at this shit.

Was this an attempt to come off as an intellectual?

That's true.. You build a better society with laws and let different people fully participate. It took a while, but it happened. What other people in the world, besides Europeans, have done that?

Thats pretty subjective to think that things are better.

There was a historian on the Joe Rogan podcast informing him that when the whites began taking over the native land. He said alot of the whites ended up living and assimilating to their culture. The historian found it interesting that they wanted to be and live like the natives .

They didn't want to return back to your so call advance civilization.

so-called-separated-family-getty-images-john-moore-640x480.jpg
'

By Bob Price 21 June 2018

The father of the tearful two-year-old Honduran migrant girl who became the face of the “family separation” news coverage says that his young daughter was never actually separated from her mother when caught by U.S. Border Patrol.
Instead, he says, his daughter and her mother are together in U.S. custody at “at a family residential center in Texas.”

Moreover, the mother had been deported from the U.S. in 2013, according to a statement given by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to Buzzfeed on Thursday evening.

Denis Javier Varela Hernandez, 32, told the UK Daily Mail that his wife Sandra, 32, had taken their daughter, Yanela Denise, on a dangerous journey to the U.S. on June 3 without telling him. They had since been in touch, he said, and he learned the two had been detained together but never separated.

Yanela Denise became an iconic symbol of opposition to the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy, under which adults who cross the border illegally are prosecuted. As a result, children traveling with migrant adults are often taken to shelters separately until they can be reunited with their parents, a family member, or a sponsor.

Getty Images photographer John Moore took the famous photograph of Yanela Denise standing on the ground and looking up in tears while a McAllen, Texas, Border Patrol agent searched her mother next to a patrol vehicle.

The image spread like a California grassfire. Time Magazine used a cutout of the little girl on its recent cover, where she was depicted confronting President Donald Trump.

Multiple news outlets used the photograph as a symbol of the pain of families being separated by U.S. government officials. A Facebook fundraiser that used the photograph to solicit funds to help reunite families has already raised nearly $20 million, becoming the single largest crowdfunding campaign in the history of the social media platform.

Getty Images captioned the photograph by indicating that the mother and daughter had been “sent to a processing center for possible separation” (emphasis added).

Moore told the Washington Post earlier this week that he had assumed they would be separated: “In his head, he weighed the girl’s chances. According to new federal policies, he said, she would be taken from her mother when the van reached its destination. They would not be reunited until their case had wound through the courts, and then likely only to return to the country they had fled.”

However, Moore did not appear to confirm whether the two had, in fact, been separated.

Now, Hernandez says that his wife and daughter were never separated by Border Patrol agents and that they remain together.

Hernandez also told the Daily Mail that he did not support his wife Sandra’s decision to leave their home and travel through dangerous conditions to seek political asylum in the U.S.: “I didn’t support it. I asked her, why? Why would she want to put our little girl through that? But it was her decision at the end of the day.

“I don’t have any resentment for my wife, but I do think it was irresponsible of her to take the baby with her in her arms because we don’t know what could happen,” he told the Daily Mail.

He said she had talked about going to the United States for a “better future” but she did not say she had made the decision to take the 1,800-mile trip — paying a “coyote” smuggler $6,000 to take them.

When Sandra left on her journey with Yanela, she left Hernandez behind with three other children — Wesly (14), Cindy (11), and Brianna (6).

Though he said she had planned to apply for political asylum, Hernandez did not mention any political persecution that might have justified the claim.

He also said that he was employed: “I thank God that I have a good job here.”

Hernandez said that the first news of his wife’s and daughter’s fate came when he saw Moore’s photograph.

He also told the Daily Mail that officials told him on Wednesday that his wife and child are together in Texas and are “doing fine,” he said.

In an interview with Univision (in Spanish), Hernandez cried as he described his feelings about the situation:

White House correspondent Saagar Enjeti said the interview with the father shows that the family was never separated by government officials, as portrayed by the media. Enjeti observed that his wife came to the U.S. for economic reasons, not fear of violence, and the he was unhappy with her for taking his little girl on very dangerous journey.

The ICE statement to Buzzfeed read:

On June 12, 2018, Sandra Maria Sanchez, 32, a previously deported woman from Honduras illegally re-entered the United States,” . She was arrested by agents with U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Border Patrol near Hidalgo, Texas, while traveling with a family member. On June 17, 2018, Sanchez was transferred to ICE custody, and is currently housed at the South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley, Texas. Her immigration proceedings are ongoing.

On July 3, 2013, Sanchez was encountered by immigration officials in Hebbronville, Texas. On July 9, 2013, she was transferred to ICE ERO custody. On July 18, 2013, Sanchez was removed to Honduras under expedited removal.

Bob Price serves as associate editor and senior political news contributor for Breitbart Texas. He is a founding member of the Breitbart Texas team. Follow him on Twitter @BobPriceBBTX, GAB, and Facebook.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2018...-was-never-separated-from-mother-says-father/

Give the father a green card for dispelling this FAKE NEWS!

Ironically Michael Brown being the "most inappropriate symbol that has been used in a social movement in modern times" symbolizes the nature of "the movement against racism and violence in policing."
Unfortunately all this just causes more polarization than solutions.
I believe there are reasonable people on both sides of many of these issues but bad players on both sides compounds the difficulty of healthy dialog many times over.
Time using this photo to make short term gains hasn't helped anyone interested in a actual solution.

Last edited:
F-

My point was that we often choose symbols that do not accurately depict the movement. This is normal, according to my experience. Symbols are not selected for their factual accuracy, but for their emotional properties. It's an unfortunate distraction that we end up arguing over symbols. Your turn, respond.
Well duh. That’s why when black criminals get shot, the media uses old pictures from when they were kids. A picture of an innocent little boy doesn’t quite draw the outrage of a thugged out gangster. It’s all about stirring up outrage & boosting the ratings. Does the media show pictures of innocent children that really are killed in America almost everyday in drive by shootings? Nope because that would be racist

Disgusting.

And lol at people falling for this blatant attempt at pulling at our heart strings.

Unfortunately, in today's political discourse, emotions trump facts and truth.

If i were that father id sue TIME magazine and any other news outlet selling that fake news.

Ok but the democrats made that illegal. That's what the entire fuss has been about.

The democrats passed a law that you have to either do what Trump did or do catch and release. Anything else is illegal. It's an attempt to blackmail the president into de facto not enforcing the law -- which they want -- or doing stuff that looks evil.

The Republicans voted for that law as well (TVPRA, 2008), though it was Democrat-sponsored. TVPRA prevents us from promptly returning Central American unaccompanied minors to their home countries.

The Flores Settlement Agreement (1997) and subsequent rulings force us to release the minors into the interior of the country within 20 days. If the parents aren't prosecuted (as was usually the case under President Obama), then they are released into the interior of the country as well.

The courts are definitely to blame more than the Democrats are, although right now the Democrats are playing politics rather than trying to solve the underlying issue.

Back