Everyone is Ducking Kamaru Usman

I post this in almost every thread I see that mentions Usman, so here goes:

320_Kamaru_Usman.0.0.jpg

Fuck all the haters.

{<jimmies}

I'm not sure how 40 year old Maia will look, but the Maia of 2014 - 2016 vs. Usman would be fun.

Maia seems to be traveling the world right now, shooting martial arts documentaries, and giving seminars. I'd still enjoy Maia vs. kamaru, though.

Maia's pretty much done at the top level. He had his last chance and I for one would like to see him just hang them up. If not if needs to be fun legacy fights against other older guys.

I don't like the Ponzi fight.

I wanna see him fight Covington. That dude doesn't deserve his ranking anyway and would get mauled by Usman.
Ponzi only fought legit killers, even fought unranked Mike Perry while being ranked himself. He paid his dues, he fought lower ranked guys, he shouldn't have to fight lower-ranked Usman.

Someone like Till or Covington who recently entered the Top 15 or Top 10 should have to fight him and earn their place at the Top.
Or just throw Wonderboy at him. Dude is ranked #2 and is not getting a title-shot at Woodley anymore, anyway.

But none of them will take the fight.

Last edited:
I don't really consider it ducking. Fighting him would do nothing for their careers. They win: "Okay. You beat who?" They lose and there goes any momentum or marketability, especially when they're just going to get stifled and held down for fifteen minutes.

Usman needs a ranked opponent now, but please anyone but Maia. I’ve had enough of seeing old Maia haplessly spamming takedowns against good grapplers from his past two fights; Usman has enough power to end it early but I’d rather not risk another circus

Ducking isn't a good word, the guy is terrible to watch. It's not a good for anyone's career to have a boring fight with this guy

I don't like the Ponzi fight.

I wanna see him fight Covington. That dude doesn't deserve his ranking anyway and would get mauled by Usman.
Ponzi only fought legit killers, even fought unranked Mike Perry while being ranked himself. He paid his dues, he fought lower ranked guys, he shouldn't have to fight lower-ranked Usman.

Someone like Till or Covington who recently entered the Top 15 or Top 10 should have to fight him and earn their place at the Top.
Or just throw Wonderboy at him. Dude is ranked #2 and is not getting a title-shot at Woodley anymore, anyway.

But none of them will take the fight.

tenor.gif
All of this ^^^

If I were Sean Shelby and the UFC, I'd offer two opponents at a time to guys, and make them choose one or the other. Make the pay commensurate with the quality of the opponent as well.

Offer Covington $50k/$50k to fight Till or $25k/$25k to fight Perry... no other options, either pic one or the other or don't fight and lose your ranking. Let the fighters know in advance that sitting and waiting for a more favorable opponent is going to come with a lower purse offer as well. This stalling and cherry-picking opponents is getting out of hand.

I'll concede that the actual champs of divisions should be afforded some latitude (not free reign), but anyone else should fight who they're told (offered).

Can't blame them. Who wants to be in a boring fight and likely lose. Better losses are out there to be had.
So you're justifying fighters ducking. Cool.

If you think nobody wants to fight him just because he is good, then you dont understand anything at all.
Why exactly are people who fight for a living blatantly refusing to fight him?

He say that? Have heard this and that, but haven't seen him fight much. He does seem to be getting ducked quite a bit. Sounds like he has some pretty highly regarded wrestling skills. I can see the high risk, low reward viewpoint, but c'mon guys, people just don't fucking take on all comers anymore. Everyone has a fookin' agenda.

Maia's pretty much done at the top level. He had his last chance and I for one would like to see him just hang them up. If not if needs to be fun legacy fights against other older guys.
I'm not sure what kind of legacy fights are there for him? Unretired Matt Brown? I agree unless he needs money he's should be retired.

because he's boring as fuck and is putting "30%" in his fights
He takes on all comers though unlike these other guys.

Dangerous fight for the top 10. Guy has legit grappling. Would be a lose - lose. He needs to keep training and his time will come. I understand that every fight cant be exciting.

His title aspirations are gone, but I think he can still beat some guys in the top 10. I want him to retire, but I want him to go out on a win.

I'm not convinced that Usman could beat Maia, btw. The last time we saw Maia, it was him taking on three top 5 opponents within a 6 month time frame, which clearly wore him down. I think that after this vacation he's had, he can put in another good performance before retiring.

He's boring as hell so it's cool with me. One flashy ko and a bunch of snoozers

I really would like to see Usman get a crack at the upper top 10 soon.

Till vs Usman would be a great fight, if Usman stops the hypetrain then he will have a lot of attention on him

Back