*EDIT* False alarm, the standard guillotine is still allowed (outside of Australia)

Lolololol @ ben henderson no more wins for u at gustavo dantas tournaments lolololerskates

******THIS IS OFFICIALLY NOT TRUE******

No arm guillotines are still allowed, there has been no rule change. I didn't read past the first few pages to see if you guys found this out already or not. But I had Draculino call this in and about 2 minutes ago he called and he talked to "Alvaro Mansur" personally, who is the Chief Ref for IBJJF. He confirmed that it is a rumor that is untrue and he is unsure where or how it started.

Please post this information where you can. Thanks guys.

It's starting to remind me of Judo.

My first thought. Welcome to our Hell BJJ'ers.

::::Edit:::::

After reading the above post, good to see that its not true. I'll retreat back to Judo hell now.

No arm guillotines are still allowed, there has been no rule change. I didn't read past the first few pages to see if you guys found this out already or not. But I had Draculino call this in and about 2 minutes ago he called and he talked to "Alvaro Mansur" personally, who is the Chief Ref for IBJJF. He confirmed that it is a rumor that is untrue and he is unsure where or how it started.

Glad to hear. These are the kind of senseless rule changes that I fear might happen if BJJ becomes an Olympic sport.

It is a semi reasonable issue tho, it can be hard to distinguish between a guillotine choke and crank when done with no arms in.

and who the hell defends a double leg with a no arms in guillotine (as opposed to one arm in) anyway?

And how many guillotines do you even see in decent level gi competition?

It is a semi reasonable issue tho, it can be hard to distinguish between a guillotine choke and crank when done with no arms in.

and who the hell defends a double leg with a no arms in guillotine (as opposed to one arm in) anyway?

The problem is, the Gi and No-Gi rules are the same, so if it's banned in Gi, it's also banned in No-gi

whats up with all of these rule changes. the field should be more level than this i think

I am actually concerned about the fact that most people do not know the difference between a guillotine choke and a neck crank and got flamed for pointing out this issue.

I am actually concerned about the fact that most people do not know the difference between a guillotine choke and a neck crank and got flamed for pointing out this issue.

All that needs to happen is ref's need to be onto competitors making sure they don't crank the neck, and allow no-arm guillotines, you should be crunching when doing a guillotine, not arching your back trying to yank the person's head off their spine.

All that needs to happen is ref's need to be onto competitors making sure they don't crank the neck, and allow no-arm guillotines, you should be crunching when doing a guillotine, not arching your back trying to yank the person's head off their spine.

great explanation.

I have seen my share of guys pulling up the head like they were reeling back a yellow fin tuna on one of those chair of a charter boat.

great explanation.

I have seen my share of guys pulling up the head like they were reeling back a yellow fin tuna on one of those chair of a charter boat.

haha your black highlighting does not do justice to the comment in the default DARK grey sherdog theme, lol.

for those on the default sherdog theme

ttt. More confirmation from thefightworks:

Guillotine Submission in IBJJF Tournaments : The FightWorks Podcast | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) Radio and News

Mansur responded:

Caleb, the rules don

Back