*EDIT* False alarm, the standard guillotine is still allowed (outside of Australia)

Blue and Purple belts can ONLY do straight ankle locks, brown and black belts can do knee bars/toe holds.

Ok, thanks. Wonder why they choose to spell out knee locks and leg locks in the 13-15 catagory while the other categories don't seperate the two?

I really hope this isn't true. It would just allow for such sloppier jiu jitsu.

What is a "Mata Leo with foot"? Is that just a gogo?

See, I could take this to mean 3 things:

Doing a Mata Leo esque submission utilizing your foot (Ala gogo)

Doing a Mata Leo grip while facing the top of a foot (Toe hold)

Doing a Mata Leo grip while facing the person (A way of finishing the straight ankle)

Since they list Kneebar and leg lock separately, maybe Toe holds are listed separately as well? Why the heck would they prohibit Gogo's?

Kneebars have been illegal for purples, blues, and whites for years. That is NOT a new rule. I remember purples getting DQ'ed for doing kneebars 8 and 9 years ago and it still happens every single year.

Mata leao with foot is a toe hold (a.k.a figure four toe hold).

FWIW: I've taken the referee course several times and have been a referee at the Pan Ams for several years (Didn't do it this year, though.)

Kneebars have been illegal for purples, blues, and whites for years. That is NOT a new rule. I remember purples getting DQ'ed for doing kneebars 8 and 9 years ago and it still happens every single year.

Mata leao with foot is a toe hold (a.k.a figure four toe hold).

FWIW: I've taken the referee course several times and have been a referee at the Pan Ams for several years (Didn't do it this year, though.)

Got it thanks. Think they need to reword the website a bit to provide a bit of clarity. Spelling out knee locks and leg locks in one category but not in another could be a bit confusing to the average grappler who doesn't spend an inordinate amount of time on the internet like myself.

we are going to the CBJJE mundials in july, guillotines chokes are not allow there.

What is a "Mata Leo with foot"? Is that just a gogo?

No.

Its a toe hold. Like this.

EDIT: Couldnt find a decent video on youtube. Nothing but dumbass CSW "Affliates" and shit from grapevine and mount. w.e.

Gogoplata is legal for all belts.

So is it or is it not illegal? There doesn't seem to be a consensus here.

Here is a chart posted by JSho on the UG that might help some people. It does not take into consideration the possible guillotine ban being discussed in this thread.

JSho said:
IBJJF Move Legality Matrix

bjjtechs.jpg

That's a cool chart. Regardless of legality, I can honestly say that I train and use all the techniques on that list except for the guard slam, cause I'm not a dick.

You guys needs to check the IBJJF website and clarify the issue at your local competition's refferee meetings.

According to this thread on UG Australasia, the ABJJF rule set follows the IBJJF in general, but they have modified it themselves.

angus fried said:
Hi everyone,

looks like there have been some minor changes in the international rules. While we definitely base our rules on theirs, there is no requirement for us to exactly match what they have listed. A prime example of this is guillotines, where we have a flat ban for the neck-only guillotine because we deem it indistinguishable whether a crank or choke is being applied. We are proud to be different in this respect as we are looking to protect the neck at all levels as much as possible. And a reminder, these rules are identical in the AFBJJ for gi and no-gi.

To be honest I haven't checked about pulling on the head with triangle of late, although I'll look it up now that it appears to have changed. Wrist locks have always only been from blue, to my knowledge.

It appears we are in line with the international federation on straight ankles for u16 through to white belt.

I'm at work and don't have all the answers right now, happy to keep checking this thread however.

Thanks fellas,
angus.

Apparently there was an issue in 2009 having to due with the guillotine rule in the Pan-Pacific Championship (run by the ABJJF). More information here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/guillotine-question-rules-897209/ I think they claimed to be IBJJF, but again modified the rules to make the guillotine illegal. There's an email in the thread from Alvaro Mansor (head of IBJJF Ref) that states guillotines are allowed for all juveniles and adults.

Apparently now (as of 2010) the Pan-Pac is "officially qualified" by the IBJJF. It pretty silly for the Australians to ask for recognition by the IBJJF and then change the rules. Then again the IBJJF could have also just changed their rules and we would not know because they are pretty bad at communicating rule changes.

In the most recent AFBJJ competition 2010 QLD State Championships, I went to the referree rules meeting, and was told that all guillotines would need to be with the arm in, for all belt levels, it's BS.

Seems like they have expanded it from white belts to all belts.

It's official, from Caleb at the Fightworks Podcast

Caleb said:
Thanks to the Mighty 600,000 for informing us of this meme. We reached out to IBJJF head referee Alvaro Mansur, to see if there was any truth to this:

There are many people who have read online that the rules regarding the guillotine choke have changed. Have there been any rule changes to the use of the guillotine this year?

Please let me know and I will post your response to let everyone know.

Mansur responded:

Caleb, the rules don

Back