*EDIT* False alarm, the standard guillotine is still allowed (outside of Australia)

Shemhazai

Black Belt
Reaction score
... according to this thread, anyway:

MMA Underground Forums

It seems that from now on, only arm-in guillotines will be allowed. I realize that guillotines aren't the most common subs in competition with the gi, but can you imagine BJJ without, say, the threat of a standing guillotine? Double legs are about to get sloppier ...

Last edited:
It's illegal for kids, NEVER for adults. The rules are the same for gi and no-gi.

If there is going to be a rule change I don't want to think about it. That's a pretty dumb one.

Last edited:
From the thread:

ok, this confused me so much i asked victor estima (braulio's brother) this question last night and i'm glad i did what with it being just before the mndials.

the guillotine choke WITH NO ARM IN is now ILLEGAL. for it to be legal an arm mst be inside. i asked him if i would get disqualified if i did a regular guillotine at the mundials and he said i probably would. he said this was a very recent change to the rules

personally i think it's a bullshit move by the ibjjf

There's also a link to the ABJJF (Australia) website that shows that they've already added this to their rules.

The AFBJJ regards the neck-only guillotine (ie, without an arm in) as a neck
crank in all situations.

Thats some f**king bullshit.

I have read this also, I reeeeally hope this is not true, because if they ban this, they will be banning arm triangles pretty soon, followed by darce's, etc and soon you will only have lapel chokes

I'm thinking someone needs to start up a competing organization that allows these moves and tries to attract the cream of the crop, IBJJF needs to get neutered for this.

First kneebars and toeholds, now guillotines? Why not make it a pillowfight?

Oh hell no...

Hell no. What idiot could possibly, possibly think this was a good idea? Anyone?

I have read this also, I reeeeally hope this is not true, because if they ban this, they will be banning arm triangles pretty soon, followed by darce's, etc and soon you will only have lapel chokes

If they ban those im quitting, lol.

Whats next, banning pulling down on the head while you have a triangle?

Actually, that's in the ABJJF rules too, but only for white belts.

...If I wasn't at work I'd post a rage filled picture. Someone please do it for me. I've got that "Angry Video Game Nerd about to go into shitstorm rant" face on.

Awesome- now I can just double leg people like a bull on steroids- let's give the wrestler's even more chances to score points without risk!

^sarcasm

Don't compete in their tournaments if you don't like the rule. They are not the only tournament organizers. It's starting to remind me of Judo.

Yeah...shouldn't the IBJJF being doing their best to minimize wrestlers and reduce their tools?

Absolutely ridiculous. This eliminates a valid and safe technique (if true), and further weakens the art. If people stop fearing the guillotine as much, people will start ignoring the defenses or precautions you take to avoid it, and will thus be more vulnerable to this very common and important submission. It's absurd to just arbitrarily start banning techniques.

Yeah...shouldn't the IBJJF being doing their best to minimize wrestlers and reduce their tools?

No, the IBJJF shouldn't alter their rules to favor anyone at all, in either direction. They should keep their rules to reflect effective grappling for fighting, which will ensure bjj's place as an effective martial art and a great sport, without sacrificing one for the other. The more you restrict the rules unnecessarily (note that last word), the more you weaken the martial art aspect of it, to the extent that people train exclusively for sport.

Sorry, just got back from the moon. Kneebars aren't allowed? This for white belts or everyone?

In IBJJF tournaments I believe kneebars and toeholds are banned below brown belt. Again, this is for IBJJF only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back