Early UFC #229 Estimate Is ...

Russia is not a PPV area

Basically, US, Canada & australia are & in 2019 the bigger fights will be in UK (its a fight by fight call)
Yeah i suspected Russia did not have a PPV ordering capability. Good info Frankie thanks. I still think things are changing and the Russian influence is growing and we know that UFC had their first Russian event recently and they wouldn't be doing that if they weren't serious about a Russian expansion.

2019 could be a very interesting year. Global diversification has always been something the UFC have been working on.

Nah
I bet DW & WME want him to be penalized a bit. That way they can say "It was the NSAC"
Suspend him 4-6 months & he main events vs Conor in July & they do 3m

Khabib is usually off may-august

Yeah i suspected Russia did not have a PPV ordering capability. Good info Frankie thanks. I still think things are changing and the Russian influence is growing and we know that UFC had their first Russian event recently and they wouldn't be doing that if they weren't serious about a Russian expansion.

2019 could be a very interesting year. Global diversification has always been something the UFC have been working on.

You are welcome
I never said anything about "Russian influence/expansion" though. lol

Of course UFC are looking to solidify their place in Russian MMA.
Smart business to do so.
But the issue with Russia is the time difference (of doing a PPV there) & lower gate cost.

The smartest thing they are doing by working with M1 is getting those fighters ready for UFC events.

As far as 'Global diversification' (great phrase) that is something Bellator is doing with UL as well.
They opened up UK offices just to build the brand there.
I just discussed this last night on a podcast I guested on for @TheCompleteKO (should be up Saturday).
Bellator is smartly going after places away from US that they can get a stronghold in.

Fun times for MMA

But the issue with Russia is the time difference (of doing a PPV there) & lower gate cost.
Yeah I never thought about the time gap. It's a long ways ahead of USA. If they wanna have a PPV event in Moscow (say) then for it to be prime-time in USA (where, let's face it, most of the PPV buyers are) then it'll have to be more or less the middle of the night in Russia.

If that's what it takes, i think the Russians will just be like....
"Screw it, I don't care, 3am fight is good. I take wodka with me to fight, wife she stay home with kids, I happy with my Komrads this night".

Yeah I never thought about the time gap. It's a long ways ahead of USA. If they wanna have a PPV event in Moscow (say) then for it to be prime-time in USA (where, let's face it, most of the PPV buyers are) then it'll have to be more or less the middle of the night in Russia.

If that's what it takes, i think the Russians will just be like....
"Screw it, I don't care, 3am fight is good. I take wodka with me to fight, wife she stay home with kids, I happy with my Komrads this night".

Same issue with Conor & Ireland
They were going to do an overnight event at Croke park, but the laws prevented it (noise)

Ye

I know it wouldnt be deserved and all that nonsense but it would be absolutely fking mega and so many non ufc casuals would even turn in just to see another brawl after.

Without sounding a prick, if they absolutely butchered a cpl of the protagonists and Slapped Khabib with a huge fine (even if it was fake but to the public) that'd gain even more media coverage keeping the incident alive and stopping people like my Mrs thinking it's just fake like wwe and pow - they'd go into super figures.
Who says it wouldn't be deserved? If Conor wins one or two against decent guys he could legitimately earn a rematch.

But yeah I know you meant immediate which wouldn't be deserved.

So, Conor owns 3/4 of the UFCs top PPVs? or would it be 4/5 now?

EDIT: Looked it up. He has ALL OF THE TOP 4 LOL, and 5 of the top 6. Only anomaly being UFC 100, before he was on the scene.

Double edit: Conor has sold a combined 7.9 million PPVs, not even counting the Floyd fight
He's involved in 6 of the top 16 PPVs of all time, that's including all historical MMA, boxing and pro-wrestling PPVs. This one pushed his fight with Alvarez to 16th spot or else it would be 6 of the top 15. Khabib rematch will be another top 5 PPV, or Ferguson if Khabib gets suspended will be top 10.

Who says it wouldn't be deserved? If Conor wins one or two against decent guys he could legitimately earn a rematch.

But yeah I know you meant immediate which wouldn't be deserved.
Ye, although likely, wouldn't be deserved.
Tbh, even for his own brand and benefit, he should drop down a few notches on the ranking ladder and get some wins back on the board.

Guess it just depends how long he wants to fight for...
Cpl and retire or a cpl rebuild fights, couple big fights, cement legacy and bounce.
All on him, I guess.

I don't think UK is dancing that they will have to pay more to see the bigger fights

have? lol
but i get ya, will be worth it, just to see a big event in a decent timeframe.
ive tried stay awake, and woke up post fight conference too many times.lol

Russia is not a PPV area

Basically, US, Canada & australia are & in 2019 the bigger fights will be in UK (its a fight by fight call)
uk ireland not ppvs either

you pay for a monthly subscription

As I said ...
That is changing
If that happens, that's an additional (potential) 66million population that might buy PPV. That's good business sense from the UFC : Try to get every major nation that tends to watch MMA, converted to a PPV-model.

Russia is not a PPV area

Yep. The UFC's TV deal in Russia is worth a paltry $12m per annum. The country has a large population, but the economy is small (about the size of the Netherlands and Belgium combined) and there is little disposable income. The notion that Russia is a lucrative market for the UFC is fanciful. Why oh why WME have supposedly broken the old 'no to co-promotion' rule with some (still vague) partnership with M1 is beyond me. What is to be gained? In addition, one has to wonder if Disney and the mainstream media will pick up on connections between UFC fighters and dictators, murderers and terrorists in Russia. Surely that will not benefit the UFC.

2.35million is a very impressive number for PPV buys in 2018.

Dana will be smiling, he's all about the numbers.

Dana phone call :
"Hey, NSAC, call the fucking dogs off..... Khabib done good. Fine him 50K and 2weeks suspension, we're good. Bank deposit in the Cayman Islands went through 2hours ago. Catch ya soon dudes."

Why are you posting quotes that have never happened? This should be ban worthy or at least get carded. Dont like how you mislead others here.

Yep. The UFC's TV deal in Russia is worth a paltry $12m per annum.
You're right on the economy : I just checked the GDP of those 3 countries.

MAYBE though the Khabib factor will at least give the UFC an incentive and leverage to re-negotiate their fixed-price deal with Russian TV? @FrankieNYC seems to have a good handle on all this stuff, he may have good input.

Why are you posting quotes that have never happened? This should be ban worthy or at least get carded. Dont like how you mislead others here.
it was very obviously just a joke quote man. C'mon !! Humor is part of what gets us all thru the day.
I'm not alleging anything, it was just a bit of fun, and quite a few people seemed to like it. Sorry if it offended you. No harm intended.

Back