Dragon: The Bruce Lee story is an underrated, timeless classic

When it comes to Brandon, Rapid Fire was one cool movie. Really entertaining action fare in that early 90's style. Laser Mission was pretty poor though, despite the Borgnine cameo. But how freaking cool was it to see the son of Bruce Lee and Borgnine in a scene togheter, eh!? I had a real nerd moment when they sat at the beach togheter. That said, the action and plot just fell flat in that one.

Showdown in Little Tokyo
and The Crow are awesome -- but that's the stuff they teach you in kindergarden so saying it out loud would just be superfluous.:cool:

Oh, and I really like The Bruce Lee Story as well. Though obviously I don't see it as having anything to do with the real Bruce Lee. The ghost aspect was just outlandish fun and the fight-scenes were dope as well.

Oh, and I really like The Bruce Lee Story as well. Though obviously I don't see it as having anything to do with the real Bruce Lee. The ghost aspect was just outlandish fun and the fight-scenes were dope as well.

Not sure I expected to ever see you use the word "dope."

Not sure I expected to ever see you use the word "dope."

Me and the rest of the Movie Club have a 500 dollars bet on if we're ever going to see you use the word "thaumaturgy" in a sentance.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the score in this movie is outstanding. Pure 90's, American, dramatic movie, music brilliance.

Me and the rest of the Movie Club have a 500 dollars bet on if we're ever going to see you use the word "thaumaturgy" in a sentance.

I didn't laugh until I looked up the definition. But then I did.

great fight scenes the whole movie...i loved the back alley kitchen fight. dishwasher bruce vs the cooks set to green onion song.

During the Christmas season I have tried to watch some of Hallmark's Christmas movies and I just can't stomach them.

You don't happen to remember any of the ones you tried, do you? I'd recommend Silver Bells with Anne Heche, Help for the Holidays with Summer Glau, and Northphole: Open for Christmas with Lori Loughlin. Those are three favorites of mine.

And I have tried to watch some of Lifetime's stuff and I had the same reaction.

Same question: Do you remember any of the ones you tried? I'd recommend Fatal Desire with Anne Heche (and Eric motherfucking Roberts, who recently it seems has all but taken up residence at the Lifetime studios), Girl Fight (also with Anne Heche), and Tall Hot Blonde (with Garret Dillahunt, Laura San Giacomo, and directed [very well] by Courteney Cox).

I remember Lifetime had some witch series a few years ago that I tried to watch and I was almost immediately like, Fuck this.

Oh, the ones with Catherine Bell? Yeah, I don't even watch those.

So you're saying it hasn't all been total garbage?

I am. When I was writing film criticism, I even reviewed Girl Fight, which is one of my recommendations: http://www.filmmonthly.com/television/girl-fight

I can feel you on that, but I watched The Crow for the first time a few months ago and ended up really enjoying it. It's just so goddamn stylish and--despite being a 20+ year old movie--fresh-feeling that I couldn't help but love it.

The "there ain't no comin' back" scene will always be one of the most powerful scenes in movies. David Patrick Kelly always delivers and he crushed that scene.

Excellent movie, a true action classic from the 90s.

I wish I'd hear this more.

Whoops, I meant to respond to this the other day but it got away from me.

You don't happen to remember any of the ones you tried, do you? I'd recommend Silver Bells with Anne Heche, Help for the Holidays with Summer Glau, and Northphole: Open for Christmas with Lori Loughlin. Those are three favorites of mine.

I can't say I saw any of those. One thing I can tell you though is that I am never able to get to the finish line. I always start them and then tap out because I just can't take it anymore, usually somewhere within the first 30 minutes.

The only names I can remember are An Evergreen Christmas and Christmas on Salvation Street . . . but I'm not sure if those actually aired on the Hallmark Channel or if they were just similar enough in style that I think of them as Hallmark movies.

Same question: Do you remember any of the ones you tried? I'd recommend Fatal Desire with Anne Heche (and Eric motherfucking Roberts, who recently it seems has all but taken up residence at the Lifetime studios), Girl Fight (also with Anne Heche), and Tall Hot Blonde (with Garret Dillahunt, Laura San Giacomo, and directed [very well] by Courteney Cox).

The only one I can remember specifically is An Amish Murder, which I turned on mostly because I wanted to see what Neve Campbell was up to. I think I made it about 15 minutes.

I may have to check out some of the others you've recommended just to see if I agree with your assessment. Also, I have to say, this is the most bizarre movie conversation I've had in a long time.

Oh, the ones with Catherine Bell? Yeah, I don't even watch those.

I'm talking about this piece of shit. . .

witches-of-ee.jpg

I loved Dragon when it came out. Watched it a few times.

Watched it again about 5 years ago and thought it was pretty bad.

One thing I can tell you though is that I am never able to get to the finish line.

Most people don't even try, and the ones that do usually can't. Me, my taste runs the whole spectrum, so while I'm still a discriminating viewer and prefer certain films to others, I can easily and happily make it to the finish line. Sometimes I even take multiple laps :D

The only names I can remember are An Evergreen Christmas and Christmas on Salvation Street . . . but I'm not sure if those actually aired on the Hallmark Channel or if they were just similar enough in style that I think of them as Hallmark movies.

Never heard of them but I'll be on the lookout for them this holiday season ;)

The only one I can remember specifically is An Amish Murder, which I turned on mostly because I wanted to see what Neve Campbell was up to. I think I made it about 15 minutes.

Ha, I watched that when it premiered. I was glad to see Neve Campbell, too. It wasn't that great but I've watched it twice. Plain Truth with Mariska Hargitay is a much better Amish Lifetime movie (yes, there's an Amish genre on Lifetime).

I may have to check out some of the others you've recommended just to see if I agree with your assessment.

If you were to only watch one of my recommendations, I'd recommend Girl Fight.

Also, I have to say, this is the most bizarre movie conversation I've had in a long time.

tumblr_m4qg7th2a91qgbuomo1_250.gif

I'm talking about this piece of shit. . .

Oh, I thought you meant film series. I haven't seen that one, but then I haven't ventured into any Lifetime TV stuff. Just their movies.

I agree 100%. I loved it. I have it on DVD. People bash it for how fictionalized it is but I see it as an inspirational movie with great entertainment value. The director freely admits he made stuff up. Bruce Lee didn't injure his back in a fight. Why did he put that in there? It looks better than saying he injured his back lifting weights. Fight scenes were added to give the movie a decent pace and to entertain. The producers demanded it.

Obviously the fight scenarios are exaggerated. Johnny Sun is portrayed as a killer who beat up two robbers two death sending one to the hospital and one to the funeral home. The real Martial Artist Bruce Lee fought, Wong Jack Man, did no such thing but when you see that scene that is so intense. Bruce Lee is fighting an actual killer, he's a 20-1 underdog, he's fighting in an underground Martial Arts challenge match in front of Chinese masters for the right to teach Westerners Kung Fu and his student is so worried for him he tries to talk him out of it. Good stuff. Is it historically accurate? Fuck no! But for a Martial Arts movie it is good stuff as is Bruce Lee defending the efficiency of Jeet Kune Do by making good on his promise to beat up any man in 60 seconds or fighting his brother in a fight to the death on the set of a movie (a nod to testimonies of Bruce Lee fighting extras who challenged him).

The demon was pretty cool. The way it is portrayed is that Bruce Lee really had supernatural experiences. From what I understand Bruce Lee fainted on the set of Enter the Dragon and he described it as feeling something was sucking the life force out of him. That is what I've heard that Linda wrote in her book and the director wrote in the script as Bruce Lee experiences real demonic visitations. Plus apparently there are a lot of Chinese superstitions and there was believed to be a curse on Bruce Lee's family lineage which is why they gave him a girl's name to fool spirits who like to steal the souls newborn boys. How eerie is it that this is a theme in the movie and Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee who the demon comes after in the movie dies for real on the set of the movie The Crow? What the fuck?! The irony of that situation is Brandon was asked to play the part of Bruce Lee for Dragon but didn't want to because he thought it would be weird to play his father (e.g. having sex with your mom on screen, conceiving yourself etc. poor guy who can blame him?).

The way they portrayed racism in the movie was great. I loved the scene where he beats up the college bullies and I really wanted to punch that waiter in the face for refusing to seat them in the restaurant. According to Linda her mom really did ask her if she wanted to have "yellow babies." It is sad that people thought like that back then. I found the scene where the Chinese masters are telling Bruce Lee not to teach Blacks and Whites their secrets to be interesting. I hear this isn't historically accurate but watch this scene. The leader of the masters speaks so politely to Bruce trying to reason with him. They don't want Westerners to learn the secrets of Kung Fu because they will use it against them. I mean they are being racist but their racism is somewhat reasonable. The director describes this as benign racism. Racism without malicious intent. But it still hurts! Bruce Lee fights for the right to run his school and teache who he wants. He gets injured for his effort. Elsewhere while the racism is still benign it is highly offensive e.g. Linda's mother telling him he's an American citizen but not really American or the producers of The Green Hornet wanting him to keep on his mask when he plays Kato because he looks too Oriental or them stealing his idea for the TV series Kung Fu and giving his part to David Carradine forcing him to seek work in Hong Kong because he can't pay the bills.

The move is deep.

The fight scenes were good too. Jason Scott Lee did excellent work portraying Bruce Lee. Honestly while as a biopic it isn't historically accurate as a movie I consider it to be a masterpiece. The story is well-written and the movie is overall inspiring. One of the best Martial Arts movies ever.

Last edited:
The first non-cartoon/non-puppet thing my daughter ever paid attention to on TV was the meat cleaver fight with the other dishwashers.

Solid flick that takes some liberties with facts -but what Hollywood biopic doesn't?

I agree 100%. I loved it. I have it on DVD. People bash it for how fictionalized it is but I see it as an inspirational movie with great entertainment value. The director freely admits he made stuff up. Bruce Lee didn't injure his back in a fight. Why did he put that in there? It looks better than saying he injured his back lifting weights. Fight scenes were added to give the movie a decent pace and to entertain. The producers demanded it.

Obviously the fight scenarios are exaggerated. Johnny Sun is portrayed as a killer who beat up two robbers two death sending one to the hospital and one to the funeral home. The real Martial Artist Bruce Lee fought, Wong Jack Man, did no such thing but when you see that scene that is so intense. Bruce Lee is fighting an actual killer, he's a 20-1 underdog, he's fighting in an underground Martial Arts challenge match in front of Chinese masters for the right to teach Westerners Kung Fu and his student is so worried for him he tries to talk him out of it. Good stuff. Is it historically accurate? Fuck no! But for a Martial Arts movie it is good stuff as is Bruce Lee defending the efficiency of Jeet Kune Do by making good on his promise to beat up any man in 60 seconds or fighting his brother in a fight to the death on the set of a movie (a nod to testimonies of Bruce Lee fighting extras who challenged him).

The demon was pretty cool. The way it is portrayed is that Bruce Lee really had supernatural experiences. From what I understand Bruce Lee fainted on the set of Enter the Dragon and he described it as feeling something was sucking the life force out of him. That is what I've heard that Linda wrote in her book and the director wrote in the script as Bruce Lee experiences real demonic visitations. Plus apparently there are a lot of Chinese superstitions and there was believed to be a curse on Bruce Lee's family lineage which is why they gave him a girl's name to fool spirits who like to steal the souls newborn boys. How eerie is it that this is a theme in the movie and Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee who the demon comes after in the movie dies for real on the set of the crow? What the fuck?! The irony of that situation is Brandon was asked to play the part of Bruce Lee for Dragon but didn't want to because he thought it would be weird to play his father (e.g. having sex with your mom on screen, conceiving yourself etc. poor guy who can blame him?).

The way the portrayed racism in the movie was great. I loved the scene where he beats up the college bullies and I really wanted to punch that waiter in the face for refusing to seat them in the restaurant. According to Linda her mom really did ask her if she wanted to have "yellow babies." It is sad that people thought like that back then. I found the scene where the Chinese masters are telling Bruce Lee not to teach Blacks and Whites their secrets to be interesting. I hear this isn't historically accurate but watch this scene. The leader of the masters speaks so politely to Bruce trying to reason with him. They don't want Westerners to learn the secrets of Kung Fu because they will use it against them. I mean they are being racist but their racism is somewhat reasonable. The director describes this as benign racism. Racism without malicious intent. But it still hurts! Bruce Lee fights for the right to run his school and teaches who he wants. He gets injured for his effort. Elsewhere while the racism is still benign it is highly offensive e.g. Linda's mother telling him he's an American citizen but not really American or the producers wanting him to keep on his mask because he looks to Oriental or them stealing his idea for the TV series Kung Fu and giving his part to David Carradine.

The move is deep.

The fight scenes were good too. Jason Scott Lee did excellent work portraying Bruce Lee. Honestly while as a biopic it isn't historically accurate as a movie I consider it to be a masterpiece. The story is well-written and the movie is overall inspiring. One of the best Martial Arts movies ever.

Wow dude. Great write up!

Back