Dragon: The Bruce Lee story is an underrated, timeless classic | Page 3

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Agent Mulder's Hair, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
    There is zero proof he loved drugs. The only thing I've ever heard (and I'm an enormous Bruce fanatic) is that he ingested hashish and took a prescription pain killer for a headache from some actress and that led to his cerebral edema/death.

But yeah, pretty sure he cheated on his wife a good bit.

Still, what the man accomplished in his life (he died younger than I am right now) is insane. Saying he was prolific and decades ahead of his time doesn't even due him justice.

clumseygenius likes this.
  2. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair

You got something bad to say about Jeff Speakman?!

*spins ring on finger around to the tiger side :mad:

Skarr and Ikuza like this.
  3. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

BisexualMMA
    They needed to hold that shot of Brandon and the girl in the back of the ambulance doing nothing for a little bit longer.

Agent Mulder's Hair likes this.
  4. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
    Oh trust me Bullitt I know. I'm a huge Bruce fanatic as well. And i KNOW you are. I own and have read all of his books and the john little books. Seen all the docs. Basically studied everything I could get my hands on about the guy for many years. He was the ideal martial artist and life artist in my eyes for years when I was younger.

But with this movie, ya gotta remember this came out before the reality craze. Back then shit was hollywoodized all the time. This was the year the UFC started. Brandon Lee was still alive when they began filming iirc. He might not have been I'm not sure, but I know Brandon was offered the role as Bruce, and declined due to him wanting to escape his dad's shadow and forge his own path.

5. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
    I know right :D

that girl was hot tho

6. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Seen it a bunch but its a been a while since last time

I remember thinking it was pretty good

7. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    My most vivid memory is the scene where he gets kicked in the back during that 1 underground fight

cmw43 likes this.
  8. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator

Bullitt68
    Not when it comes to Bruce. It's too close for me.

Well, since I'm a connoisseur of made-for-TV movies, particularly of the Lifetime and Hallmark variety, I've seen her in Caught in the Act, Do No Harm, Layover, A Country Wedding, and The Stepchild, so to me, she hasn't disappeared. She has, however, as you said, been spending her career appearing in stuff most people haven't heard of :oops:

[​IMG]

Rapire Fire rules. Brandon beating the shit out of the mobsters in the middle of a shootout plus that one-on-one between him and Al Leong, those two sequences alone put it above a hell of a lot of action movies, from the 90s or from any other era.

Then you bring in that kitchen sequence that out-Jackie Chan's almost anything he did in the 90s and I don't know how any hating can even get off the ground.

9. HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho

HunterSdVa29
    jeff speakman tho hahaha
    his acting was atrocious haha

doesn't mean he can't make good action movies though, I love Only the Strong and Dacascos isn't some noted Thespian

in terms of early Dolph, Red Scorpion all the way. That movie is the shit

10. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne

You mean Bruce Lee never fought a samurai demon monster?

:( :(

My entire childhood is a lie

11. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    You are a man of unusual tastes.

But serious question: What exactly do you get out of these kinds of films?

I dunno man, I just never did get into it. I've watched it a few times and every time I'm pretty meh on Rapid Fire.

As far as I see it, Brandon Lee made two good movies: Showdown in Little Tokyo and The Crow.

12. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Not sure why exactly, but I legit LOLd at this.

13. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
    This may be one of the best things I've ever seen. Rapid Fire fight scenes set to what sounds like Terminator 1 synth music: :eek:

and about Rapid Fire, the guy that played Cerrano killed it. That guy was SO over the top and awesome :D He's up there with Terry Silver in Karate Kid 3 in over-the-top-awesomeness

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho

HunterSdVa29
    how can you praise SiLT and not Rapidfire

only one of those contains the line 'you have the biggest dick on a man I've ever seen' and it's not Rapidfire

TheGZA and Ikuza like this.
  15. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator

Bullitt68
    I'm generally not in the shattering childhood illusions business, but unfortunately, samurai demon monsters do not to my knowledge exist, nor have they ever existed.

<28>

That I am.

There was a period of time when I was intent on writing a scholarly essay analyzing the bizarre, almost schizophrenic feminist discourses you could find in Lifetime movies. So, initially, I had that researcher's impulse to watch everything I could find. After a while, I just loved the formulas and the way the writers and directors know exactly what they're doing, beat-by-beat, and the subtle variations in the way they get to and hit those different beats. It's like genre filmmaking but to a hyperbolic extreme, like the filmmakers are in a lab and they're tinkering with formulas. I know within minutes the kind of movie I'm going to be in for and usually know pretty quickly and pretty accurately how shit's going to shake out, but I enjoy the ride in a way that's similar to driving a familiar route and taking in all the scenery you know so well.

That's not to discount the few legitimately cool and interesting films that I stumble across, but that's the best I can do explaining the enjoyment I get from the standard made-for-TV movie fare.

I've actually never been crazy about The Crow for the simple reason that Brandon never does any martial arts. It's like Chuck Norris having his biggest hit with Missing in Action and Seagal having his biggest hit with Under Siege. These martial arts icons hit it the biggest with the littlest amount - or sometimes even no - martial arts action.

That said, I'd forgive just about anything if someone told me they liked Showdown in Little Tokyo. That's damn near a "Get Out of Jail Free" card in my world.

[​IMG]

16. HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho

HunterSdVa29
    speaking of movies w/ American cops going after Japanese/Yakuza both coincidentally having Cary Tagawa as a main villain (other than Mako, GOAT pick him cuz we need an Asian guy actor), which is the better action movie: Showdown in Little Tokyo or Rising Sun?

17. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator

Bullitt68
    Is the latter a buddy cop martial arts actioner featuring Brandon Lee and Dolph Lundgren? No? Then the former.

18. Agent Mulder's Hair Black Belt

Agent Mulder's Hair
    Rising Sun without question. And I love SiLT.

Speaking of Mako and the "we need an asian guy" actors, remember this dude from every 90's martial arts tv shows?

[​IMG]

clumseygenius and HunterSdVa29 like this.
  19. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Exactly. Classic line!

HunterSdVa29 likes this.
  20. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Hmm, interesting.

During the Christmas season I have tried to watch some of Hallmark's Christmas movies and I just can't stomach them. And I have tried to watch some of Lifetime's stuff and I had the same reaction.

I remember Lifetime had some witch series a few years ago that I tried to watch and I was almost immediately like, Fuck this.

So you're saying it hasn't all been total garbage?

I can feel you on that, but I watched The Crow for the first time a few months ago and ended up really enjoying it. It's just so goddamn stylish and--despite being a 20+ year old movie--fresh-feeling that I couldn't help but love it.

Excellent movie, a true action classic from the 90s.

I still go around randomly saying for no good reason, "That arrogant scumbag motherfucker! He put the iron claw right on the logo!"