Dragon: The Bruce Lee story is an underrated, timeless classic

I always liked it. Still do.

Lauren Holly. And Picket Fences would beg to differ.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If by "weird" you mean "a sane, discriminating moviegoer," then yes ;)

I wish that "high waisted/deep V" style of underwear would come back into style. It was hot. Nowadays it's all about showing off a fat ass.

That's one of those bitches who, like so many before her, just kind of disappeared.

It's a predictable pattern: The actress gets a lot of buzz, shows up in some high profile movies, and then just fades away, spending the rest of her career appearing in stuff that most people haven't heard of.

Also LOL at that fucking Game Boy. That brings back memories.

Rapid Fire is not a very good movie though. . .

She had a major role on NCIS for several years.

Yes big time, it was really good and Jason Scott Lee acted more like Bruce than these other guys who try and play him. It was really well done and love the title theme to that.

I watched this movie very young and can't really form an opinion on it. But what was the thing with his dad? Oedipus complex? There is father-son symbolism there. The dreams I mean.

Actually I am gonna watch it tonight now.

From what I understand (and this isn't in the movie) in China some Martial Artists didn't believe in teaching foreigners Chinese Martial Arts. Bruce Lee's mother was half-German. When Ip Man's students found out about this they refused to train with Bruce because they said he wasn't pure Chinese. But Ip Man liked Bruce and offered him private lessons with one of his senior instructors. Bruce Lee left Hong Kong because he got in a fight with a boy who I hear was either the son of a Triad gang leader of a policeman so his parents sent him to America to get stay out of trouble. It was in America where Bruce Lee started teaching people he met including his future wife his Martial Arts skills which by then he was calling Jun Fan Gung Fu.

I don't even think he was representing Wing Chun or Ip Man by that point although I'm sure they stayed in contact. Bruce Lee's first student, Jesse Glover, wrote a full book on this titled Bruce Lee: Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do. I have the book as a PDF file. Glover was an African-American and touches on some of the racism of the time although as I recall he didn't remember the details surrounding why he fought Wong Jack Man. Wong Jack Man's student Rick Wing wrote a full ebook Showdown in Oakland which I bought on Amazon Kindle which details his perspective on the fight based on witnesses. He insists that the fight had nothing to do with teaching Westerners Martial Arts and that many Chinese masters in the area had non-Chinese students. He even names some of the White students that learned Kung Fu in the San Francisco area.

I think Lee may be up to a quarter white and you are right. A lot of Chinese refused to train with him because of it.

He was born in the hour and year of the Dragon too. I love his story.

Bruce Lee was born on November 27, 1940, at the Chinese Hospital, in San Francisco's Chinatown. According to the Chinese zodiac, Lee was born in both the hour and the year of the Dragon, which according to tradition is a strong and fortuitous omen.[16]

Lee's Cantonese birth name was Lee Jun-fan (李振藩).[21] The name homophonically means "return again", and was given to Lee by his mother, who felt he would return to the United States once he came of age.[22] Because of his mother's superstitious nature, she had originally named him Sai-fon (細鳳), which is a feminine name meaning "small phoenix".[23] The English name "Bruce" is thought to have been given by the hospital attending physician, Dr. Mary Glover.

as far as the the critique of the accuracy of the movie. Lee's life was a fuckin lie. lol. Nearly everything he said was taken from somewhere else. He is just like a DJ who puts old tracks together. I mean he said he was a philosophy major when he was actually a drama major. I would too. Drama majors are dorks.

The Bruce Lee quote in Bullit's sig is not a Bruce Lee quote. He said it. But he read it somewhere first. Exactly what I am talking about. He attributes that quote to Lee. It isn't Lee.

And Lee is similar to Da Vinci who said that which has no form has no limits. Total philosophy of Lee. Be formless and nothing is impossible.

When one has no form one can be all forms. And I don't think Lee ripped off Leo, they just both came across the same truth from different paths.

Last edited:
Back