Dick's and Walmart Are Being Sued for Age Discrimination re Gun Sales

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by alanb, Mar 8, 2018.

1. alanb

alanb Brown Belt

https://d3aya7xwz8momx.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Age-Discrimination-Laws-2018.pdf

The actual corporate gun lobby i.e. the NSSF has compiled a list of states that have state age discrimination laws which Dick's and Walmart are violating due to their new 21 and over law for gun sales. The list is linked above. So far suits have been brought in Michigan and Oregon. I believe the list to be accurate but incomplete because California has a law called the Unruh Act which might be used to bring a lawsuit. If you practice in the states listed this is as close to free money as it gets.
    http://reason.com/volokh/2018/03/07/michigan-lawsuit-against-dicks-sporting

2. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

3. lfd0311

lfd0311 Gold Belt

The hypocriscy from all sides at this point is making my face hurt. The Right's position is that a business can run it's business any way it sees fit, correct?

4. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

This should be intresting and they might win.

I actually support the bussness in this case.

However I can understand the case as age discrimination.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  5. Dolomite

Dolomite Red Belt

Interesting - quoted from a MI pro-gun forum:

Michigan has laws in place that require car rental companies to rent to licensed drivers 18 and older.

Historically, vehicle rental companies in Michigan have routinely refused to rent to individuals between the ages of 18 and 24. This violates the age provisions of the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, which protects individuals from discrimination regardless of their chronological age.

On November 17, 2000, MDCR (that's the Michigan Department of Civil Rights) entered into a settlement agreement in the case of MDCR, ex rel. Philip Bickham v. Hertz Rent-a-Car, MDCR No. 113521-PA32. That agreement provides that the Hertz will comply with the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act and also rent vehicles to individuals between ages 18 and 24. If the rates charged by Hertz for renting to customers in this age group are higher than standard rental rates, the higher rate must be justified. This is the second such agreement; a similar agreement was reached with Thrifty Rent-A-Car in December, 1999.

6. alanb

alanb Brown Belt

This is about free money. You have to chase the wave in this life. brother. Every man's wave is a little different but for the solo practitioner this is the North Shore in February.

7. cincymma79

cincymma79 Red Belt

Lame

But it’s what happens when you make anti discrimination laws. They can be used for good or bad

Cubo de Sangre and 7437 like this.
  8. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

They may just have a case here.

HockeyBjj likes this.
  9. Culombo

Culombo Purple Belt

the left is anti discrimination while actively discriminating against certain people

also, this new push to raise the required age to buy a gun is really annoying given the military and voting aspects .. 'hey you can't buy a gun until you're 21 because at your age you don't really have the mental capacity yet to handle firearms .. by the way would you like to join the army so we can send you off to fight in war zones ?' .. 'also, even though we think you're too stupid and emotionally undeveloped to handle firearms, go ahead and vote and influence the long term direction of the country' .. they don't even know wtf they're doing .. just pandering to random whims

10. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I do know there's on instance of a Dick's employee leaving and suing them cause he was 20 and working the gun counter and is a hunter... so at 20 he can sell the gun but can't buy one to go hunting.

fallable likes this.
  11. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

This is a good point.

12. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

I do wonder how many 18-20 year olds were actually purchasing firearms at Wally World or Dicks Overpriced Apparel. I agree though... fuck it, let the free market sort it out.

13. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Within reason. This isn't a complicated discrimination case, where say religious freedom is involved. This is just straight up discrimination.

If Dick's wants to stop selling guns altogether, they're free to do so. However, if they want to be able to sell guns, they have to adhere to the laws in place that allow people of a certain age to purchase them. They can't just make up their own laws.

Arkain2K, PainIsLIfe and HockeyBjj like this.
  14. 44nutman

44nutman Red Belt

Dicks should say they are not going to sell guns to gays and the right would support them again.

15. Roaming East

Roaming East Ficti pravique tenax

A lot. The Dicks up the road from me sells plenty to the young military guys that get stationed here

16. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

This was kind of his point... the Right (in general) supported the Christian bakers who didn't want to make a gay wedding cake. Why can't they support Wally/Dicks for not wanting to sell firearms to anyone under the age of 21?

17. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Other than the obvious reasons, I'd say because one issue is more complicated than the other. Dick's isn't citing any religious freedom that would prohibit them from selling guns to younger people. They're just discriminating based on...what exactly? A school shooting? That's not a valid reason.

This is like if a gun store wanted to stop selling to blacks, because of some gang violence they read about in Chicago. You can't do that.

Unless the State changes the laws, I don't think Dick's has a leg to stand on here.

18. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

Knew this was coming. Whether you agree or disagree with guns sales to 18-20 year olds, I think this is clearly against the same discrimination laws designed to stop a person from refusing service to someone based on skin color, religion, sexual preference, etc. Age is also a protected aspect of that

Arkain2K likes this.
  19. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

The difference isn't that the bakers wouldn't make a cake for a gay couple, they wouldn't make a gay wedding cake even if sold to straight people. It was the product, not the customer, they were refusing

Dicks has every right to no longer sell AR15s to anyone at all, but I believe they are breaking discrimination laws by not selling rifles/shotgun to people aged 18-20 when they law says they can legally buy that

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  20. OnionKnight86

OnionKnight86 Brown Belt Platinum Member

Do you use different ingredients when making a gay cake?