Dick's and Walmart Are Being Sued for Age Discrimination re Gun Sales

Republicans/conservatives love the free market until they don't.

I do know there's on instance of a Dick's employee leaving and suing them cause he was 20 and working the gun counter and is a hunter... so at 20 he can sell the gun but can't buy one to go hunting.

Meh. I know people who were bartenders before they were allowed to drink. Not a big deal.

Personally if you are 18 and have no criminal record you can buy a gun. If it’s an issue vote to change it. I wouldn’t mind a conditional setup thru new law where if u are 18-20 they can check your juvenile record and if it’s clean u can buy a gun. If not, no gun for u till u turn 21.

The hypocriscy from all sides at this point is making my face hurt. The Right's position is that a business can run it's business any way it sees fit, correct?

The rights position is that the store must follow the law. You know the same way the left cheered when the baker got sued for no cakes at gay weddings.

Do you use different ingredients when making a gay cake?

If Tiki Torch Brand had know their torches would have been used at a white supremacist rally I would have supported their right to refuse that sale so that they wouldn't seem to be supporting it

Meh. I know people who were bartenders before they were allowed to drink. Not a big deal.

Personally if you are 18 and have no criminal record you can buy a gun. If it’s an issue vote to change it. I wouldn’t mind a conditional setup thru new law where if u are 18-20 they can check your juvenile record and if it’s clean u can buy a gun. If not, no gun for u till u turn 21.
How were people bartenders before 21. Every bar I've been to/worked for everyone was at minimum 23 (the employees).

I mean, I've seen under 21 waiters and waitresses serving alcohol but they aren't behind the bar making/prepping it as far as I have seen.

What do you mean by a "clean" juvenile record?

I do know there's on instance of a Dick's employee leaving and suing them cause he was 20 and working the gun counter and is a hunter... so at 20 he can sell the gun but can't buy one to go hunting.
I don't know what the law is in snapped collarbone country, but where I live minors that work at gas stations can sell cigarettes but can't buy them.

This was kind of his point... the Right (in general) supported the Christian bakers who didn't want to make a gay wedding cake. Why can't they support Wally/Dicks for not wanting to sell firearms to anyone under the age of 21?

Because the courts said we were wrong to support the bakers we must conclude that this is wrong as well.

How were people bartenders before 21. Every bar I've been to/worked for everyone was at minimum 23 (the employees).

I mean, I've seen under 21 waiters and waitresses serving alcohol but they aren't behind the bar making/prepping it as far as I have seen.

What do you mean by a "clean" juvenile record?

Lol. Smaller bars may have them. People with fake IDs. Or family owned and operated. I know a girl who bartended at 16.

As for the juvenile record. I don’t kno I was shooting off the hip. Kids whonever got into trouble to get a juvy record. I don’t know. I never got in trouble so I wouldn’t know. Like I said i believe if u are 18 u should be able to buy a gun assuming you are legally allowed to buy it.

Republicans/conservatives love the free market until they don't.
This is just as asinine of a comment as, "Liberals hate discrimination unless it suits their purposes." Be productive if you want to participate in the conversation.

The hypocriscy from all sides at this point is making my face hurt. The Right's position is that a business can run it's business any way it sees fit, correct?

I imagine that when republicans say that they mean within the law. I doubt they mean a business can do whatever they want, like if I walk into Walmart and their new policy is to beat the shit out of any and all customers I doubt republicans would be ok with this.

As for the juvenile record. I don’t shooting off the hip. Kids not never got into trouble to get a juvy record. I don’t know. I never got in trouble so I wouldn’t know. Like I said i believe if u are 18 u should be able to buy a gun assuming you are legally allowed to buy it.
Fair enough, I only ask as I saw a kid get an assault charge for punching his bully in the face just two years ago.

He pled out at a misdemeanor level and not a felony but still.

They weren’t just making a cake. It was the catering part I thought
Not sure, just the "refused to make a gay cake" made me laugh. I like to imagine they made a ni
If Tiki Torch Brand had know their torches would have been used at a white supremacist rally I would have supported their right to refuse that sale so that they wouldn't seem to be supporting it
No I'm asking what makes a cake gay? Is it just the two grooms on top?

This is the precedent set by forcing people to bake gay weddng cakes. We reap what we sow.

A lot. The Dicks up the road from me sells plenty to the young military guys that get stationed here

Other than the obvious reasons, I'd say because one issue is more complicated than the other. Dick's isn't citing any religious freedom that would prohibit them from selling guns to younger people. They're just discriminating based on...what exactly? A school shooting? That's not a valid reason.

This is like if a gun store wanted to stop selling to blacks, because of some gang violence they read about in Chicago. You can't do that.

Unless the State changes the laws, I don't think Dick's has a leg to stand on here.

I would imagine the reasoning behind the age discrimination would be "safety of the general public" or something from that aspect. Either way the original point was the Right generally condones free enterprise and hates government intervention in such enterprises. But now that guns are involved the Right is freaking out about discrimination.

I'm not saying I agree here but it was a good point originally brought up by @lfd0311. How can the Right back the Christian bakers citing free enterprise, but not Dick's and Wally? Both cases are about discrimination and why is one example of discrimination OK but the other is not? Nobody is forcing people to buy firearms from Dicks or Wally, so why not let the free market handle the issue?

I would imagine the reasoning behind the age discrimination would be "safety of the general public" or something from that aspect. Either way the original point was the Right generally condones free enterprise and hates government intervention in such enterprises. But now that guns are involved the Right is freaking out about discrimination.

I'm not saying I agree here but it was a good point originally brought up by @lfd0311. How can the Right back the Christian bakers citing free enterprise, but not Dick's and Wally? Both cases are about discrimination and why is one example of discrimination OK but the other is not? Nobody is forcing people to buy firearms from Dicks or Wally, so why not let the free market handle the issue?

Because that battle is already lost. You can't win the battle, set the precedent, and then cry when it gets used against you. You wanted this.

The difference isn't that the bakers wouldn't make a cake for a gay couple, they wouldn't make a gay wedding cake even if sold to straight people. It was the product, not the customer, they were refusing

Dicks has every right to no longer sell AR15s to anyone at all, but I believe they are breaking discrimination laws by not selling rifles/shotgun to people aged 18-20 when they law says they can legally buy that

I see your point but in both cases it's still directly about discrimination. How can one case be OK but the other is not? Really, if we want to tackle age discrimination, lets look at things like senior citizen discounts.

Because that battle is already lost. You can't win the battle, set the precedent, and then cry when it gets used against you. You wanted this.

I'm not a liberal or leftist by any means and I'm not arguing either way, but I was referencing a poster talking about the hypocrispy here of the Right with this issue. If they were going to back the Christian bakers and say let the free market sort it out, why are they now opposed to that same argument? Fuck Wally and Dick's and people will buy their firearms elsewhere. Just like with the bakers... let the lesbians buy their wedding cake elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back