Demian Maia vs Rory Macdonald being rumoured for UFC 161

I hope Maia can positionally dominate this fight like he did to Fitch.

As a Rory MacDonald fan, that makes me nervous.

But dammit I'm intrigued, I really wanted to see somebody test Rory but I was hoping it'd be Condit. If he can defeat Maia it will say a lot and if he loses, he's only 23, he can bounce back from it. He definitely has the advantage standing but Maia has been insanely good on the ground at WW, he'd be a huge threat for anyone right now.

Tough fight for Rory is Maia can get it on the ground but if he can keep it standing I think he can take Maia to a decision. Good fight though and a nice gauge to see where both guys stand as contenders.

Rory has been fed strikers his entire time in the Octagon, about time he fights another grappler. Surprised it's Maia though, I would think UFC would give him someone easier like Mike Pierce.

Selukrid,

Not sure. I think UFC might be waiting to see what happens at UFC 158. Many possibilities at this point. Recently we havent even talked about opponents or even dates.

Rory has been fed strikers his entire time in the Octagon, about time he fights another grappler. Surprised it's Maia though, I would think UFC would give him someone easier like Mike Pierce.
Pyle. Not on Maia's level, but still. And hey, Pyle did take him down.

I agree though. I've wanted to see Rory against a top level wrestler and/or grappler for awhile. What are the odds someone can make it to the top of the WW division without facing one!

Good fight but I would still give the edge to Rory in the end

This will be a good test to see if Rory is the real deal or if it is all hype. Is he the next Jon Jones of WW or the next Ryan Bader.

What did Rory do to piss off Dana?

They spent years building Rory up to throw him under the bus like this?

Guess the figured since Rory won't fight GSP, Maia could after subbing him.

This is what he gets for saying he won't fight GSP. Still a fantastic matchup; the big question in my mind is whether Maia can get Rory down. Can't remember a time when I've seen Rory need his wrestling defense.

Maia is going to run through Rory Macdonald and a lot of people who think he's GSP 2.0 will be surprised.

I don't think Rory's TDD will be good enough. Che Mills and Nate Diaz have no takedown threat. Carlos doesn't really try to take guys down and Pyle was able to get Rory down. BJ Penn has the best TD's of any of Rory's opponents and he is a LW who gassed in the first round and still got Rory down.

If Rory keeps it standing he will probably win but I think Maia is going to dominate him on the ground. This isn't even a knock on Rory because Maia is just a monster at 170 especially now that he has improved his striking but doesn't go full k-1. Now he comes to implement his grappling and I think he could be too much for anyone without elite grappling on the ground or in the form of TDD.

If Rory can beat Maia though then he really is the real deal.

Last edited:
Maia by Rory pulling out injured.

For real though, I like the matchup.

I have a feeling rory will pick him apart standing. If Maia can submit rory I will cream my pants.

very interesting fight if Maia sticks to the game plan he used against the piss break

Back