Demian Maia vs Rory Macdonald being rumoured for UFC 161

Im down!!! Go Maia

Maia is going to run through Rory Macdonald and a lot of people who think he's GSP 2.0 will be surprised.

I don't think Rory's TDD will be good enough. Che Mills and Nate Diaz have no takedown threat. Carlos doesn't really try to take guys down and Pyle was able to get Rory down. BJ Penn has the best TD's of any of Rory's opponents and he is a LW who gassed in the first round and still got Rory down.

If Rory keeps it standing he will probably win but I think Maia is going to dominate him on the ground. This isn't even a knock on Rory because Maia is just a monster at 170 especially now that he has improved his striking but doesn't go full k-1. Now he comes to implement his grappling and I think he could be too much for anyone without elite grappling on the ground or in the form of TDD.

If Rory can beat Maia though then he really is the real deal.

Agreed, especially the part about him being untested against opponents with a strong wrestling game who would come in with the gameplan of taking him down. I can't believe he was about to get a Condit rematch before ever having fought someone in the UFC who could legitimately test him in that department. His TDD is unproven and looks suspect at best, from what we've seen so far.

I think Maia is an AMAZING grappler but I have Rory by savage KO.

Sucks for Rory.

He wins, Maia automatically becomes a nobody like he did after the Weidman fight.

He loses, he's a can who was never that good.

Heart says Rory, head says Maia.

I think Rory takes it but I would love to see Maia triangle him into lala land

Wow, would be an outstanding match.

I don't know who to pick. I like them both ...

maia by easy win.

Rory doesn't have the bjj skills to stop maia from getting the sub.

Who besides Story has Maia actually subbed in recent years? Before that you have to go back to the Sonnen fight. Maia won't have the strength advantage on Rory either.

Maia takes a big shot and folds like a cheap suit, book it.

Mike Pyle trains with Xtreme Couture, so of course he can take people down and BJs not a slouch in the wrestling department either. Not saying Maias a bad wrestler(he's actually pretty good) but he's just not the type of wrestler that can double leg you out of no where, he has to get inside and clinch before he takes you down.

Had no problem taking Fitch and Sonnen down.

Fitch and Sonnen's wrestling > Rory's.

Can't believe so many people think Maia will win. Think rory should be a decent favorite here

All you people who think Maia will toss Rory around and turn him intro a pretzel without breaking a sweat are in for a rude awakening. Rory is no joke, he can definitely lose this fight but I think he's got what it takes to win as well.
It's all about if Maia can take Rory down. If he can't, he's not gonna win.

Had no problem taking Fitch and Sonnen down.

Fitch and Sonnen's wrestling > Rory's.

Sonnens wrestling is better but Fitch, as far as MMA goes, not so much. Not saying specifically in his fight with Maia but for the most part it seems like Sonnen doesn't mind being taken or on the bottom for a short period of time in his fights because he knows he can just muscle out of it and put his opponent on the bottom(Anderson had him down in their first fight a couple times and Marquardt and Bisping did to)

Can't believe so many people think Maia will win. Think rory should be a decent favorite here

Probably because Maia has fought and beaten better competition at 170 and hasn't had much trouble taking wrestlers down and schooling them on the ground

Leaning towards Maia via sub or decision. Rory could hurt him on the feet though. I don't think he'd look to grapple

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back