Demian Maia vs Rory Macdonald being rumoured for UFC 161

Should be a war. Anyone who thinks this is an easy fight for Maia is a moron.

This is IMO a great test for Rory an I would be extremely excited to see this fight. I was hoping to see lawler against one of them, so I'm curious to see who they match him up against, unless they are waiting for the results of 158.

And Gomi is a hamster sized midget compared to Diego Sanchez it still didn't stop him from bullying a bigger guy in boxing even with 1 hand. It is all about technique and with that said Maia is way far ahead in boxing than a Rory.

Did you not watch the BJ fight(yes, yes the natural 155er BJ). But Rory put a clinic on BJ in the standup, including boxing with nice crisp body shots and some good straights. Make no mistake about it, Rorys the better boxer. And I never said Rory being bigger would affect the fight, I was simply stating that Rory probably is bigger than Maia.

That's an amazing fight, and that card on paper so far makes me prematurely jizz my pants.....

What did Rory do to piss off Dana?

They spent years building Rory up to throw him under the bus like this?

Guess the figured since Rory won't fight GSP, Maia could after subbing him.

Rory Macdonald is going to destroy Damien Maia and I will put loads of money on it.

My body is ready.

... my heart's on fire.
I'm gonna push it over the wire.

Perfect timing, tight as a drum, final battle's already won.

I'm taking hold of every moment.
Given strength by the breath of life.

I'm gonna stake my claim. I FIGHT TO SURVIVE!

Maia via sub.

If Maia wins it fucks up the possibility of a superfight though. GSP will either fight Hendricks (if he beats Condit) or Maia, thus postponing the superfight. If Rory and Condit win, GSP will have no viable opponents, thus being forced to fight Silva.

Wow should be a good fight. Probably money to be made on Maia as I believe rory will be the favorite in the books.

Rory was taken down by BJ Penn, if I'm not mistaken.
He'd be in a lot of trouble against Maia.

This is going to be a very close fight. Don't think for a second Firas won't have a plan set up for this Maia fight. Rory has expert coaches and high level training partners he will be prepared. I guess the one question is how well can he prepare for WHEN Maia gets him down. That'll be seen on fight day

Really interesting fight, but haven't seen anything about it other than this Sherdog thread. Hope it's validated.

Maia fans are either delusional or trolling; holy crap man, how do this many people think Maia runs through Rory Macdonald? You guys are out of your minds..

doubt maia can keep rory down let alone take him down. rory by tko rd 2

The only fight that makes sense for bpth of them is GSP.

So at least the UFC is letting them fight for the TS (at least I hope that is the point).

Maia fans are either delusional or trolling; holy crap man, how do this many people think Maia runs through Rory Macdonald? You guys are out of your minds..

the place has been invaded by still butthurt Bj fans it seems.

Dat Maia, he's so hot right now.

You could pretty much match him up with anyone at WW nowadays and everybody will be frothing for it. Great to see.

Back