Darren Aronofsky's MOTHER! (Receives rare F CinemaGrade)

If you have seen MOTHER!, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Yeah that really put me off too. So basically God, in Aronofsky's mind, is an attention-hungry, narcissistic p.o.s.

Like Earth has any claim to God's attention or that people even pay attention to God (hint: they never have). The idea that God is worshiped while the Earth is ignored is totally backwards for what he was trying to show. And God, in the movie, didn't interact with the people at all, not how God actually works. Everything about it is just wrong.

I want to appreciate the fact that he's showing how people disrespect and fuck the earth up... but everything is just wrong in this movie. I can't muster any sympathy.

The only good scenes are the glass scenes. And the rest is just like um... what? and even making sense of it doesn't help because he doesn't make sense with what he's saying.

As soon as Domnhall and his bro came into play- and it started to get laid on thick with the religious allegory stuff, I went from being interested and liking the vibe and really liking the performances of Pfeiffer and Harris to just starting to shake my head. I would have really preferred a psychological thriller about invasion of privacy with some nefarious connection between Bardem and the couple coming to light instead of what we got.

As soon as Domnhall and his bro came into play- and it started to get laid on thick with the religious allegory stuff, I went from being interested and liking the vibe and really liking the performances of Pfeiffer and Harris to just starting to shake my head. I would have really preferred a psychological thriller about invasion of privacy with some nefarious connection between Bardem and the couple coming to light instead of what we got.

I had zero clue what it was about going into it, but that's what I was expecting and that would have been much better.

I want to appreciate the fact that he's showing how people disrespect and fuck the earth up... but everything is just wrong in this movie. I can't muster any sympathy.

The only good scenes are the glass scenes. And the rest is just like um... what? and even making sense of it doesn't help because he doesn't make sense with what he's saying.

Apparently they're only projecting it to make $7.8 million this weekend.

i thought it was rather disturbing. people here are all upset about aranofsky's interpretation of god (as if any of you actually know what god is really like or isn't like) and the bigger critique is of human nature and the human species.

while aranofsky doesn't choose to harness any of the good qualities of humanity, it's hard to argue against that what he portrays as our horrific flaws are pretty accurate.

the bigger problem with the movie is it marketed itself as a classic horror movie, so all the intellectually dim witted masses went to see it expecting that. and instead they got a bible allegory and a critique of the human race, and if there's one thing people can't stand it's to be told they are a piece of shit, regardless of what a piece of shit they actually are.

In other words if you've got money to burn.

Even if you have money to burn I know there are other movies out right now that are actually good entertainment. So unless someone has just seen everything else, I have to think there are better choices.

Even if you have money to burn I know there are other movies out right now that are actually good entertainment. So unless someone has just seen everything else, I have to think there are better choices.
Pretty much. I went in blind (not reading anything about it) and just went off what I saw in the trailers and it was not what the trailer depicts at all.

I know somebody said to just go in blind but it's almost a guarantee that you'll end up disappointed and possibly pissed off.

I suggest reading spoilers and the plot and decide if you still want to waste money.

If Darren wanted to make a "point" he could have done it a lot better or just did a documentary.

If Darren wanted to make a "point" he could have done it a lot better or just did a documentary.

His films are often pretty strange, so I wonder if he is in real life a weird dude. I know Rex Reed in the review I posted earlier called him a "wack job," but I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that.

i thought it was rather disturbing. people here are all upset about aranofsky's interpretation of god (as if any of you actually know what god is really like or isn't like) and the bigger critique is of human nature and the human species.

while aranofsky doesn't choose to harness any of the good qualities of humanity, it's hard to argue against that what he portrays as our horrific flaws are pretty accurate.

the bigger problem with the movie is it marketed itself as a classic horror movie, so all the intellectually dim witted masses went to see it expecting that. and instead they got a bible allegory and a critique of the human race, and if there's one thing people can't stand it's to be told they are a piece of shit, regardless of what a piece of shit they actually are.

First, we do know what God is like: Jesus Christ.

Second, Aronofsky himself is saying this is what God looks like by using that story and gets that picture HORRENDOUSLY wrong.

Based on his other films Aron of sky (lol) wants to only interpret the Old Testament and not comment on Jesus. This is common for proponents of Judaism but doesn't translate when trying to make a film for mass consumption.

I also find it strange people like Aronofsky can preach all he wants (even charge you money) and Christians get a bad rap for being too preachy.

Hypocritical as far as I'm concerned.

Based on his other films Aron of sky (lol) wants to only interpret the Old Testament and not comment on Jesus. This is common for proponents of Judaism but doesn't translate when trying to make a film for mass consumption.

I also find it strange people like Aronofsky can preach all he wants (even charge you money) and Christians get a bad rap for being too preachy.

Hypocritical as far as I'm concerned.

But this film does have Jesus in it and it's disgusting and means nothing.

It's so much worse than Noah -- just, ugh.

And part of me... I really want to appreciate the beauty of the end, like, and I DO, I do appreciate it, it was beautiful for a moment, but the film itself is monstrous and disgusting and nonsensical and unappealing.

But this film does have Jesus in it and it's disgusting and means nothing.

It's so much worse than Noah -- just, ugh.

And part of me... I really want to appreciate the beauty of the end, like, and I DO, I do appreciate it, it was beautiful for a moment, but the film itself is monstrous and disgusting and nonsensical and unappealing.
Where was Jesus in the film? I didn't see the film but read all the spoilers and no one mentioned Jesus.

Agree with Noah. Film was disgusting.

Where was Jesus in the film? I didn't see the film but read all the spoilers and no one mentioned Jesus.

Agree with Noah. Film was disgusting.
The baby that was born and killed and eaten, and then God says, "no this is great, let's forgive them" --- it's fucking stupid, not the Jesus story AT ALL --- and then the mother kills everyone except her and God so she says, "I don't have anything left to give" and he says, "what about your love?" and takes the glass out of her heart again, killing her, and the story restarts. Jesus was not mentioned bc he is a minor character, when he is the fucking MAIN character of the real God story. Dumb as fuck.

The baby that was born and killed and eaten, and then God says, "no this is great, let's forgive them" --- it's fucking stupid, not the Jesus story AT ALL --- and then the mother kills everyone except her and God so she says, "I don't have anything left to give" and he says, "what about your love?" and takes the glass out of her heart again, killing her, and the story restarts. Jesus was not mentioned bc he is a minor character, when he is the fucking MAIN character of the real God story. Dumb as fuck.
Oh. Well, I guess he is slowly yet surely finding his way to the NT to make it an abomination.

I read the spoilers because I'm not watching this, lol.

I've seen the trailers on tv. What is this movie about? Who has seen it/can explain? Not sure yet if I wanna watch

I've seen the trailers on tv. What is this movie about? Who has seen it/can explain? Not sure yet if I wanna watch

It's about God and His relationship with earth and how humans treat the earth and it's dumb and ugly and unappealing and loud and has no aesthetic value besides a few scenes. It's not worth it at all, and I love this director/wanted to like this film a lot going in. It's vulgar, vapid, and stupid.

An F? Damn. Pretty sure this is literally the first time I've ever heard of a film getting an F CinemaScore.

lol I was reading a breakdown from, I guess, a studio insider- who broke down Cinemascore like this- As are good, Bs are shaky, Cs are bad, potentially to the point of awful.

Ds and Fs basically imply the film should not have been released for the mass audience.

lol I was reading a breakdown from, I guess, a studio insider- who broke down Cinemascore like this- As are good, Bs are shaky, Cs are bad, potentially to the point of awful.

Ds and Fs basically imply the film should not have been released for the mass audience.

LOL.

I remember a few months ago when The Mummy got a B- and people were talking about how that wasn't very good. Their grading structure is very strange.

But yeah, I've never seen a film get an F before. I believe that's very rare.

Saw it's last night.
Personally I enjoyed it but my girlfriends seems to have hated it more than the last 18 x1h episodes of Twin Peaks the return I've had her watch over the last few months lol

Defenetly a love/hate film not for everyone.

Best Jennifer Laurence movie I've seen

Back