Darren Aronofsky's MOTHER! (Receives rare F CinemaGrade)

If you have seen MOTHER!, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Jennifer lawerence = Mother nature
Javier Bardem = God
Ed Harris = Adam
Michelle Pfeifer = Eve
Domnahll Gleeson = Cain
His :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: brother = Abel

There you go
@ISIS in blackface is Lucifer...

tenor.gif

As the biggest Aronofsky fan ever, I have to say I did not enjoy this movie.

I felt at home immediately because of the camera-work, following Jennifer Lawrence around in the same way he followed Natalie Portman around. In the first 45 minutes there were maybe 15 Black Swan references, which I enjoyed bc they made me feel at home, but Jennifer Lawrence is not Natalie Portman and the movie didn't have the same atmosphere for those scenes to even work in.

One thing I like about Aronofsky is that he says many things at one times and he can be quite convoluted, but I appreciate this because I can interpret things in multiple ways. If the movie had stayed as depicting something like the society of mind (the idea of many minds at work in our brains, tied into the spiritual connection of all people) combined with depicting the life of an artist, sharing themselves with the public, I would have appreciated the ideas behind the movie while not appreciating the aesthetic or enjoying it at all.

HOWEVER, he made it about God and his conception of God is simply wrong. Totally wrong. God loves each individual person in spite of themselves, it's literally the dumbest interpretation of God ever for someone to say, "You only loved me because of the love I gave you," -- um... that's backwards.

So.

0/10.

#TeamGod

#Still#TeamBlackSwan

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_oiqs6c25zr1qbxh0uo1_500.gif

The idea that Lawrence is Mother Earth makes a lot more sense, but is still extremely problematic. The earth doesn't love, the earth isn't a person and to personify it in relation to how you depict God as if he were neglecting a person or something even close to an equal (like, the Bride of Christ, for example, the church), is ridiculous.

watched it and it has some good things, bad things and WTF things.

Technically is superb (camera, Lightning, art), the acting is amazing but the storyline and argument is one of the most fucked up things Hollywood has released so far. To be honest this is like one of the films my Film history IV teacher showed up in class which the pseudo artists thought it was great and the more realistic like myself thought it was weird but took it like another source of our learning experience.

I don't know what the hell Aronofsky wanted to say in this but i think this might be one of those films that only time will tell if it's worth like The Great Lebowsky.

Damn.

Coming from you, that's a statement.

I just hated his conception of God is all. The movie could have been interesting, intellectually, if it wasn't totally wrong about God.

However, I also didn't enjoy it much at all, and aesthetically it was only beautiful in a few moments, like the whole build-up to the end with the glass that was made from her love was beautiful, but it was a disgusting picture of God so I hated it and it was gross. It was beautiful in a completely grotesque way.

The camera following Jennifer Lawrence was great bc it reminded me of Black Swan, but, besides that, I didn't find it appealing.

Damn.

Coming from you, that's a statement.

One of his movies The Fountain also got terrible reviews 51% of RT and I really enjoyed that one

Not saying that this movie is any good but I suspect it is better than what the critics are saying

One of his movies The Fountain also got terrible reviews 51% of RT and I really enjoyed that one

Not saying that this movie is any good but I suspect it is better than what the critics are saying

Ok, The Fountain was FUCKING AMAZING.

I am a HUGE Aronofsky fan, this movie just wasn't good. The Fountain, aeshtetically and emotionally, was so powerful the whole time, I fucking love that movie and I could turn it on and sob tears of pain and joy at the same time again, even now watching it... but this was just a cacophony of loud noises and things that didn't make sense that didn't pull together into anything that resembled a story.

The only right part about is was that people abuse the earth, but in trying to make sense of the movie I realized how much dumber it was than I realized:

"The only worthwhile part is that it was an accurate depiction of how humans treat the earth and creation... but they don't love God and the movie showed them loving God over Earth, and that's way backwards. In fact, I didn't even make that connection until now, trying to make up reasons to like this movie, but that is actually the dumbest, least correct part of the movie.

If it were accurate, people would have been obsessed with the earth and never paid one second of attention to God. I get Aronofsky was trying to say they were fascinated with his creation, but they don't care about the Creator, so that was totally wrong in its depiction."

Actually has a fair number of critics singing its praises.

Audiences on the other hand..Dat F Cinemascore, yeeeesh.

I happened to see it at an early morning screening where virtually no one was there. The theater I went to is a low key one that often shows independent movies and skews heavily toward senior citizens. Really wish that more people were there because I imagine the level of rustling would have been something to behold.

I don't think I'll like it, just from what I've read, but Aronofsky has never been a favorite of mine.

Pi? Please, no, don't make me ever watch that again.

Requiem for a Dream? Most depressing film ever. Please don't make me ever watch it again.

The Wrestler? Okay, that's a good one. Probably his best film.

Black Swan? Interesting movie, but weird and kind of overrated. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

Noah? LOL WTF was that shit?

I haven't seen The Fountain. I'm sure at some point I'll probably give it a look.

I don't think I'll like it, just from what I've read, but Aronofsky has never been a favorite of mine.

Pi? Please, no, don't make me ever watch that again.

Requiem for a Dream? Most depressing film ever. Please don't make me ever watch it again.

The Wrestler? Okay, that's a good one. Probably his best film.

Black Swan? Interesting movie, but weird and kind of overrated. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

Noah? LOL WTF was that shit?

I haven't seen The Fountain. I'm sure at some point I'll probably give it a look.

Watch The Fountain WAY BEFORE you even think of watching this.

The Fountain is like the good version of this (a depiction of a view of God/life/etc). Or this is the horror story viewing experience of The Fountain gone way wrong on every level.

Not good.

Actually has a fair number of critics singing its praises.

Audiences on the other hand..Dat F Cinemascore, yeeeesh.

I happened to see it at an early morning screening where virtually no one was there. The theater I went to is a low key one that often shows independent movies and skews heavily toward senior citizens. Really wish that more people were there because I imagine the level of rustling would have been something to behold.

Damn

Even BVS had like a B- cinemascore

Well that just means the target audience mainly Jennifer Lawrence fans didn't like and I dont really trust them

And there were like literally 15 scenes stolen directly from Black Swan. It felt like he was saying, "Hey guys, remember that REALLY GREAT MOVIE I MADE? This is good, too!" but it wasn't.

I enjoyed them bc they reminded me of my favorite movie, but they didn't fit, at all.

I want to appreciate the fact that he's showing how people disrespect and fuck the earth up... but everything is just wrong in this movie. I can't muster any sympathy.

The only good scenes are the glass scenes. And the rest is just like um... what? and even making sense of it doesn't help because he doesn't make sense with what he's saying.

I just hated his conception of God is all. The movie could have been interesting, intellectually, if it wasn't totally wrong about God.

However, I also didn't enjoy it much at all, and aesthetically it was only beautiful in a few moments, like the whole build-up to the end with the glass that was made from her love was beautiful, but it was a disgusting picture of God so I hated it and it was gross. It was beautiful in a completely grotesque way.

The camera following Jennifer Lawrence was great bc it reminded me of Black Swan, but, besides that, I didn't find it appealing.

Yeah that really put me off too. So basically God, in Aronofsky's mind, is an attention-hungry, narcissistic p.o.s.

Back