Darren Aronofsky's MOTHER! (Receives rare F CinemaGrade)

If you have seen MOTHER!, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
If anyone wants to know what the 19 movies to receive an F CinemaScore are, here's your list:

Alone in the Dark
The Box
Bug
Darkness
The Devil Inside
Disaster Movie
Doctor T and the Women
Eye of the Beholder
Fear Dot Com
I Know Who Killed Me
In the Cut
Killing Them Softly
Lost Souls
Lucky Numbers
Silent House
Solaris
The Wicker Man
Wolf Creek
mother!

Wolf Creek
Solaris
Killing Them Softly

all good movies

Wolf Creek released when Hostel and torture horror was super popular. People got pissed that its a slow burn. Its actually a above average film

I know who killed me was not that bad.
I’m a bit biased obviously, but still

Not surprised this crashed and burned. Good writing can make a mediocre actor great. But even an elite actor - and Lawrence is very talented - can't rescue shit tier writing.

I have suspicion that online rating polls are being skewed by RR/Evangelical folk hating the movie and might even be encouraging mailing lists they have to vote against it sorta deal.

I enjoyed both Wolf Creek & Bug.
Solaris I'm assuming is the remake.

Kinda suprised Fire walk with me didn't get an F score, that movie catches so much hate.

Mother-Poster-Rosemarys_1200_1789_81_s.jpg

Rosemarys-Baby-Poster_1200_1855_81_s.jpeg

That was my first thought when I saw the trailer. Never saw the poster before.

I don't know anything about this movie other than it has failed at the box office. For some reason I want to watch it and I will not read this thread or any reviews until I do.

Wolf Creek
Solaris
Killing Them Softly

all good movies

Wolf Creek released when Hostel and torture horror was super popular. People got pissed that its a slow burn. Its actually a above average film

Agreed, Wolf Creek is a pretty good movie, i need to rewatch it.

If anyone wants to know what the 19 movies to receive an F CinemaScore are, here's your list:

Alone in the Dark
The Box
Bug
Darkness
The Devil Inside
Disaster Movie
Doctor T and the Women
Eye of the Beholder
Fear Dot Com
I Know Who Killed Me
In the Cut
Killing Them Softly
Lost Souls
Lucky Numbers
Silent House
Solaris
The Wicker Man
Wolf Creek
mother!

Damn that's harsh. Nic Cage deserves better for the memes and gifs provided from that movie.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

As far as Mother goes it's hard to imagine a worse movie than The House at the End of the Street (Also with JL), but this seemingly is. Probably gonna do a hard pass on this one.

Damn that's harsh. Nic Cage deserves better for the memes and gifs provided from that movie.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

As far as Mother goes it's hard to imagine a worse movie than The House at the End of the Street (Also with JL), but this seemingly is. Probably gonna do a hard pass on this one.

Ha ha. I seem to be one of the few, but I didn't think The Wicker Man was terrible. It's really only the end that is exceptionally bad.

Up until the last 20 minutes it's a fairly interesting movie.

Hunter's crusade to make this movie a blasphemy might be the trigger I needed to see it... Will wait though.

only judging by the couple of polls i've seen, it seems like the audience reaction is roughly in line with the critics and rotten tomatoes with sherdog's average being around 60% (small sample size though) and reddit's around 69%. the narrative that this is bombing with audiences doesn't really seem to match that, but there's obviously a difference in online polls regarding a movie and actual in-person research.
The reason why people are assuming this movie is bombing is because people with negative opinions of things are louder than people who enjoy that same thing. It's just perception.

Look at the Alien: Covenant thread in the berry. If you were to only read the comments, you would think everyone hated that movie. But if you look at the poll, over 70% of the people actually liked it. It's because humans are more vocal when they are complaining and are a lot quieter when they are content.

The reason why people are assuming this movie is bombing is because people with negative opinions of things are louder than people who enjoy that same thing. It's just perception.

Actually I think the reason most people are thinking it's bombing is because it only made $8 million its opening weekend.

Actually I think the reason most people are thinking it's bombing is because it only made $8 million its opening weekend.
His point was that it was bombing with audiences who already saw it. Not bombing as in box office numbers. I was responding to his reference.

i think what both @OMGstreetfight and i are saying is that that's not really the narrative at all, that it's a mixed bag. the narrative, as i see it, is that this is an intensely disliked movie.

Sure, well it's obvious that a portion of people did like it. Some of those people really liked.

On the other hand, those who hated it seem to have REALLY hated it.

IMDB: 6.8
Avg. SD Score: 6
RT Audience Score: 43%
CinemaScore: F (only one of 19 films in history to achieve this)

Make of all that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading Aronofsky's explanation... yeah it's a great movie if you want to depict what humanity is doing to the earth. (except for the fact that the earth is depicted not only as the house and the property, but specifically as a person in the film, which is deeply problematic).

But it's fucking awful, offensive, stupid, vulgar, vapid, and dumb when you include God in that depiction and get it completely wrong (using source-material that explains God exactly --- Aronofsky isn't inventing his own God here, which would be OK, he is taking God right out of the bible and completely missing the mark, purposefully missing the mark). I'm not worried about being offended, but at least TRY to be a little accurate.

I mean, comparing Jesus and Abel instead of Adam? Having God issue zero directives or instructions to the people besides to leave one single room? The movie is so deeply problematic intellectually that it makes no sense whatsoever, and it wasn't enjoyable aesthetically except for the last scene, which, as I have said, was beautiful only in that it was so grotesque.

I like the political statement, but involving all the rest of it renders that statement pretty much useless and makes your movie completely incoherent.

Back