Media Dana White Doubles Down Further Calls UFC 300 "Best Combat Sports Card Ever Assembled"

It's a great card overall, but missing that high status main event and even something silly like a Conor fight. But this should be a cracker anyway

Coleman was 43 and on a two fight losing streak. And they weren't HOFers at the time. Aljo, Holly and Miller are gonna end up in the HOF and are all on the prelims. Jiri might as well.

He had two fights in the UFC. That's the equivalent of Bo Nickal being on the card except Bo looks more impressive than early Jon Jones.

Miller was coming off a loss with a 2-1 UFC record. He wasn't anything special at the time. Danzig was coming off 2 losses with a 1-2 UFC record. This was a nothing fight.

Dong was 2-0 in the UFC, Grant was 1-0. This is no better than a typical Apex prelim level fight.

Lawler had 1 UFC win, 5-1 overall. Dolloway was 2-1 in the UFC, 8-1 overall. Typical Apex prelim fight.

It's not close in the sense 300 blows it away. Look at how many ranked fighters and former champs are on the card.
What a bunch of horrible opinions. This post hurt my brain.

What a bunch of horrible opinions. This post hurt my brain.
Very intelligent response. Feel free to go into detail on how prelims with inexperienced fighters with 1-2 fights in the UFC is better than ranked fighters and former champs.

Cards don't sell based on how stacked they are, they sell because of the headliners. UFC 100 sold because of Brock and to a lesser extent GSP. The other fights were irrelevant to PPV sales. No one bought the card for anyone on the prelims.

While a mostly correct understanding of how the PPV model works, you are likely specifically wrong about UFC 100.

TUF was still important for building hype and had its own reality TV casuals who watched it but didn't usually otherwise watch UFC (or pro wrestling for Brock). TUF finale that year peaked at just under 3 million viewers. The Bisping vs Hendo rivalry was driving solid TV ratings.

Most of the buys are Brock/GSP. But you go back in time and take the Hendo vs Bisping TUF season off the air and subsequent fight on UFC 100, and I guarantee there's at least some impact on sales.

The 'stacked' talking point does in general help marketing. It's taking it too far to say that strong prelims are completely irrelevant. But you are right that they are relatively negligible.

Yea OOOOOOOK Uncle DFw

Ufc 300 is easily the best UFC fight card ever (on paper)

Dana says a lot of goofy stuff but he's right - on paper this is the best card ever. Tsarukyan-Oliveira, Pereira-Hill, Max-Gaethje, Jiri-Rakic, Weili-Xiaonan, Aljo-Kattar, and just a ton of pick-em matchups

I dont know...its good card. Hw/lhw is so bad now that whole ufc look weak. Wmma is good sometimes but their titles mean nothing, its mc dojo competition.

Dana is so insecure. If I think about legendary musicians they dont have to talk like dana. They just know. Dana is one way street. He is boring af. Ofcourse you respect your own product but you can do it without going full marketing ad bot.

If you look at just their revenue per year, it's the 5th biggest sport in the world right now.

Americans are well known for overpaying for their entertainment. Im not sure how MMA would compare in revenue with a sport like tennis for example, but tennis is easily 10 times a bigger sport worldwide.

UFC 300 has two, you're forgetting Weili, who is herself on the way to becoming strawweight GOAT and has two wins over Joanna.

And fake belt or not, Gaethje v Holloway is a better matchup than all three of those fights. And would outsell any bantamweight or women's strawweight fight.

Pereira is a 2 division champion in two different sports, put some respect on the man's name.
I forgot, because she lost it so recently. The division is so shallow that she was able to get a title fight after just one win. I won’t make this into a straw weight GOAT debate, but I don’t think anyone here will agree with you there. Her wins over JJ were at the end of JJs career when she was on a skid. Rose vanquished her. And she has zero longevity. At least Joanna had several title defenses under her belt and hadn’t lost up until that point.

Holloway vs Gaethje is a more exciting match up, sure. But not more skilled. It means very little in the grand scheme of FW and LW.

I respect Pereira but I have to be honest. I think he loses to a lot of the UFC LHWs that are in other organizations, like Phil Davis, Vadim Nemkov, Corey Anderson, Ryan Bader. Ankalaev would probably be a favorite. And I personally think he lost to Jan.

Did people have to work this hard to convince fans that UFC 100 was a good card? 200?

I haven't missed a UFC event in over 20 years. It is the greatest card of all time. It's stacked with champions, headliners, and Hall of Famers.

This isn't "2003 stacked," either. This is stacked from head to toe in the 2024 MMA landscape. I could make the case for any one of these fights headlining a Fight Night event (I'd really have to scratch and claw for a small few). And there aren't 8 fights on a card like it was back then.

This is number 1. And I'm what you might call a "PRIDE Asswipe." I was at PRIDE 33, and my favorite event is PRIDE Final Conflict 2003. But, every now and then, The Present gets it right.

Will it be the best event of all time? Possibly. $300K bonuses doesn't hurt its chances.

it's a good card, the best one in a long time for sure. everytime they cut to a fighter at the conference, they all got huge cheers. you can feel that energy. that's that old school stacked PPV energy. does it have the bigger stars of the previous eras? no. that era is gone, long done. but they can slowly build again. this is the best card in a long ass time. mohegan sun arena vibes for sure. I just fucking hope, if they had a fucking clue, which they don't, but, they need to bring back the fucking gladiator intro for this baby. full swing, full graininess, full NU-Metal, full rage, full everything. It's time to end this suffering. And I need a moment to my SEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEElFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Cards don't sell based on how stacked they are, they sell because of the headliners. UFC 100 sold because of Brock and to a lesser extent GSP. The other fights were irrelevant to PPV sales. No one bought the card for anyone on the prelims.

I think there are fighters outside of the headliners that contributed to paperview sales. By your logic, who is buying the card for Aljamain Sterling? Holly Holm? Even a green Jon Jones makes a card more stacked than either of them to me. You’re putting more value into these “former champions” and “ranked fighters,” that no one really cares for. And I guess that’s what the disagreement is based on.

it's a good card, the best one in a long time for sure. everytime they cut to a fighter at the conference, they all got huge cheers. you can feel that energy. that's that old school stacked PPV energy. does it have the bigger stars of the previous eras? no. that era is gone, long done. but they can slowly build again. this is the best card in a long ass time. mohegan sun arena vibes for sure. I just fucking hope, if they had a fucking clue, which they don't, but, they need to bring back the fucking gladiator intro for this baby. full swing, full graininess, full NU-Metal, full rage, full everything. It's time to end this suffering. And I need a moment to my SEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEElFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
Best card in a long time? I can agree to that. Best of all time? Definite no imo.

I think there are fighters outside of the headliners that contributed to paperview sales. By your logic, who is buying the card for Aljamain Sterling? Holly Holm? Even a green Jon Jones makes a card more stacked than either of them to me. You’re putting more value into these “former champions” and “ranked fighters,” that no one really cares for. And I guess that’s what the disagreement is based on.
I know UFC want to keep the actual champs as headliners, but I honestly think UFC made a dumb move by not putting Max vs Justin as the Main event.

It's by far the most star power fight on the card and would have definitely pulled up the PPV/Casual fan numbers.

Back