Colby Covington crossing too many lines?

HTTPS9tZWRpYS50ZW5vci5jby9pbWFnZXMvNThhMGViODJlZGUzN2UzNGY2NzUyMzhmOWJlOTYwZjgvcmF3.gif

Lines are meant to be crossed. Unless you’re Jon Jones, in which case lines serve a very different purpose.

People will tune in to see him get his comeuppance. But in order to be a heel like that, you've got to cross some boundaries. It only works if people genuinely hate you.

No, it only works if you're entertaining.

Colby just says desparate shit in an attempt to be controversial. But people who pay attention to heels don't genuinely hate them, they're just interested in the drama they bring. Unfortunately for Colby, he hasn't been interesting enough to build up a big enough fanbase (seriously, months of photoshopping and spamming social media and he only has a few dorks on Sherdog propping him up lol) to get the fight he wants and he's also not interested in taking any more fights because it risks the #1 contender status he made up in his own head and granted himself after his win over Maia.

Basically, his best shot to cash in right now is for RDA vs Woodley to be booked then RDA pulls out via injury and he steps in last minute or something. But nothing else is working for him and he won't take another fight against a similarly ranked opponent because that would risk his new and relatively small redneck following finding out how boring he is in the cage.

I'd like to see him fight someone instead of spending so much time tweeting and photoshopping, but he definitely doesn't get Woodley yet. There are lots of guys he could fight.. holding on to the Maia decision for this long isn't a good look

All the snowflakes who love trash-talking are crying cause Colby crossed a "trash talking line" by insulting their favorite white trash superhero.

so-hard-to-be-an-alpha-male.jpg

Last edited:
All the snowflakes who love trash-talking are crying cause Colby caused a "trash talking line" by insulting their favorite white trash superhero.

so-hard-to-be-an-alpha-male.jpg

like, 90% of the people who are talking against Colby are just saying he's a desparate-for-attention inbred fuck.. not sure how that makes people a "snowflake" lmao.

colby had a mental breakdown over how the brazilian crowd treated him, he spends all day making emotionally charged photoshopped pictures, and he damn near cried because Werdum threw a toy at him - does he qualify for being a snowflake? i'd say that's way bigger snowflake behavior than everyone basically saying "shut up you're annoying" every time something to do with colby pops up lmao

Freedom of speech but suffer the consequences type situation. Dude is obviously an asshole though and pretty sure he charges for some kind of battery or something in his own past too. So he chose to be an instigator instead of keeping up that behavior. He’s a good mma wrestler. And experienced and confident now. He will not beat certain guys like Usman, till, Woodley, idk who else that’s just right off the top of my head. I was talkin trash about colby on Facebook in the comments of mmafighting.com saying colby wants the title shot now cause if he doesn’t get it his record will never be as good as it is now again. She told me to bet money on it so the Covington’s could get paid basically. I replied whatever Dude

Like all Sherdog threads, the idiots and trolls are going to complain that this is even being asked, but put those losers aside...

Is he crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed?

I think he is. The MMA Hour kinda touched on this a few months ago, and I'm wondering if this could end badly for him. Accept it or not, but there really are lines that can be crossed that go beyond entertainment, and the recipients of these "crossed lines" can snap. I can honestly see someone saying "consequences be fanned" and freaking jumping this guy or worse. He's either truly full of hate or he's ignorant of the bad consequences he may illicit for the sake of entertainment.

What do you think?

Miss me, with your bull shit imaginary lines.

<DisgustingHHH> .

Was not a huge fan, but i sort-of-liked colby and his chav ways and thought he deserved to be the next contender after beating maia. But with the latest shenanigans, and his attempts at causing a stir becoming ever more pitiful, i've gone off him completely. Don't care if i ever hear about or from him again. Also, his fluffers on this forum are massive divs.

My opinion is that he did cross an invisible line. But that's my line and I can't expect anyone else to abide by my own moral compass. Colby is a professional in a violent sport that has had social media become a platform used to garner attention, both positive and negative. Unfortunately, Dana has rewarded fighters who insult their opponents, and now makes call outs a part of matchmaking. Can we expect Colby or anybody else not to push the envelope and ramp up the shit talk? Probably not. Would half of Sherdog talk to another sherdogger face to face like they do here? I doubt it. Like you said, some people won't react to mere words, others will. I don't take that shit in my own life. If someone were to talk shit about my wife or daughter, I would react poorly. Colby has shown that he's an ignorant person, and some day, somebody will make him pay for that.
I hope so too. I like seeing people who treat others like shit getting humbled.
Good post.

No, it only works if you're entertaining.

Colby just says desparate shit in an attempt to be controversial. But people who pay attention to heels don't genuinely hate them, they're just interested in the drama they bring. Unfortunately for Colby, he hasn't been interesting enough to build up a big enough fanbase (seriously, months of photoshopping and spamming social media and he only has a few dorks on Sherdog propping him up lol) to get the fight he wants and he's also not interested in taking any more fights because it risks the #1 contender status he made up in his own head and granted himself after his win over Maia.

Basically, his best shot to cash in right now is for RDA vs Woodley to be booked then RDA pulls out via injury and he steps in last minute or something. But nothing else is working for him and he won't take another fight against a similarly ranked opponent because that would risk his new and relatively small redneck following finding out how boring he is in the cage.

I'd like to see him fight someone instead of spending so much time tweeting and photoshopping, but he definitely doesn't get Woodley yet. There are lots of guys he could fight.. holding on to the Maia decision for this long isn't a good look

you'll watch his next fight, so will everyone else here. you'll watch hoping he gets smashed. it does work. And if he gets obliterated, you will be entertained.

He is certainly trying. But unfotunately for him his whole entire act is also very transparent.

you'll watch his next fight, so will everyone else here. you'll watch hoping he gets smashed. it does work. And if he gets obliterated, you will be entertained.

so what, though?

most of the people in these threads watch every fight. nothing changes. and people that don't watch every/most events aren't going to be tuning in to colby because the very large majority of people don't pay attention to the shit he spams on twitter/instagram (as seen by his low followers)

i'm saying what he's doing is irrelevant and just makes him look like a desperate cousin-fucker. it's a played out act, and if anything it's just hurting his future career in MMA. think fox is going to be advertising him as a personality after all this? gonna get a job as an MMA ambassador? think any major companies are going to touch him with sponsorships?

he's getting a spike in sherdog popularity because sherdog has quite a few rednecks that are entertained by the dumb shit he spews, but that doesn't mean anything long term or even really short term.

I think so. That’s not much of a way to gain fans.

I always appreciated guys like Igor, Fedor, and Big Nog. They went out. They competed hard and went home.

It was cool when Muhammad Ali did it because he was first. Everyone since sounds disingenuous

so what, though?

most of the people in these threads watch every fight. nothing changes. and people that don't watch every/most events aren't going to be tuning in to colby because the very large majority of people don't pay attention to the shit he spams on twitter/instagram (as seen by his low followers)

i'm saying what he's doing is irrelevant and just makes him look like a desperate cousin-fucker. it's a played out act, and if anything it's just hurting his future career in MMA. think fox is going to be advertising him as a personality after all this? gonna get a job as an MMA ambassador? think any major companies are going to touch him with sponsorships?

his next fight will have a lot of hype behind it. so much more than if he had said, "i love you Brazil." the more times you call him a knuckledragger, the better off he is. Covington was never going to be the face of anything better than Condom Depot anyway.

Back