Colby Covington crossing too many lines?

Victory

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Like all Sherdog threads, the idiots and trolls are going to complain that this is even being asked, but put those losers aside...

Is he crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed?

I think he is. The MMA Hour kinda touched on this a few months ago, and I'm wondering if this could end badly for him. Accept it or not, but there really are lines that can be crossed that go beyond entertainment, and the recipients of these "crossed lines" can snap. I can honestly see someone saying "consequences be damned" and freaking jumping this guy or worse. He's either truly full of hate or he's ignorant of the bad consequences he may illicit for the sake of entertainment.

What do you think?

Last edited:
He was being nice i thought. He's a man of integrity, fair play to him.

He seems to be a firm believer in "There's no such thing as bad publicity".

I think he's well aware he's doing it for entertainment and enough of the MMA public are either apologists who wish they were businessmen or literal retards who actually enjoy that kind of entertainment, so much so that he really won't get that much backlash for crossing any lines, short of a boomerang.

The negativity he is putting out could certainly boomerang back his way.

he is going for shock publicity.

except for his trash talking sucks.

he would be more successful with the demographic he is trying to cultivate by calling out blacks and jews. but you cant do that.

giphy.gif

he's just full of hate and vitriol

it has already come around to bite him in the ass but he has only upped the ante

People will tune in to see him get his comeuppance. But in order to be a heel like that, you've got to cross some boundaries. It only works if people genuinely hate you.

In todays climate it's hard not to cross any lines. Most ppl don't give a shit anymore.

That said, Colby called the cops because Werdum threw at toy boomerang at him. That's not a heel move, it's a bitch move. So fuck that guy.

Like all Sherdog threads, the idiots and trolls are going to complain that this is even being asked, but put those losers aside...

Is he crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed?

I think he is. The MMA Hour kinda touched on this a few months ago, and I'm wondering if this could end badly for him. Accept it or not, but there really are lines that can be crossed that go beyond entertainment, and the recipients of these "crossed lines" can snap. I can honestly see someone saying "consequences be fanned" and freaking jumping this guy or worse. He's either truly full of hate or he's ignorant of the bad consequences he may illicit for the sake of entertainment.

What do you think?
My opinion is that he did cross an invisible line. But that's my line and I can't expect anyone else to abide by my own moral compass. Colby is a professional in a violent sport that has had social media become a platform used to garner attention, both positive and negative. Unfortunately, Dana has rewarded fighters who insult their opponents, and now makes call outs a part of matchmaking. Can we expect Colby or anybody else not to push the envelope and ramp up the shit talk? Probably not. Would half of Sherdog talk to another sherdogger face to face like they do here? I doubt it. Like you said, some people won't react to mere words, others will. I don't take that shit in my own life. If someone were to talk shit about my wife or daughter, I would react poorly. Colby has shown that he's an ignorant person, and some day, somebody will make him pay for that.
I hope so too. I like seeing people who treat others like shit getting humbled.

Back