CM Punk taught us an important lesson about fighting.

No, you have to be athletic as f. to be a good fighter.

Athletic means too many different things to different people.

Endurance, strength, power, speed, flexibility, coordination, reaction time etc. Are all arguably components of athleticism, but they are all different, and different sports require them in differing measures.

No one becomes top tier at anything through pure hard work, natural ability is real.
not true, kirk hammett is one of the worst guitar players ever and hes in one of the most successful bands ever. i could come up with a million more examples of this.

Athletic means too many different things to different people.

Endurance, strength, power, speed, flexibility, coordination, reaction time etc. Are all arguably components of athleticism, but they are all different, and different sports require them in differing measures.
I think athletic means the ability to control your body with eaz. Like Yoel Romero does.

Forrest griffin, Franklin (maybe?), Jon Fitch ... sure im forgetting a few
Forrest was a college athlete.
Fitch was a very good college wrestler at Purdue.
Franklin.. uh, solved the shit out of some equations?

Outside his age and his natural athleticism, let's not forget he has a 15+ year career in pro wrestling. This stuff destroys your body. By now, he likely has very bad knees, bad neck, etc...That doesn't help.

Towards the bottom.

Golf, bowling, driving a car in circles would be at the bottom.
I think you have to be quite an athletic to be a fighter. The only thing you do is use your body as a weapon.

I would our right state that athleticism is more important than technique in fighting. That's quite freaking bold statement - I know.

You need natural ability in just about every sport.

I think you have to be quite an athletic to be a fighter. The only thing you do is use your body as a weapon.

I would our right state that athleticism is more important than technique in fighting. That's quite freaking bold statement - I know.

Well, yeah.

Towards the bottom.

Soccer (football) Football (handegg) Basketball>>>>> Baseball, MMA, hockey etc.

Driving a car would be the lowest.

Obviously genetics matter (in everything). You have to be a bit stupid to think otherwise.

the UFC and Punk have been selling y'all some wolf tickets, and you guys were eating them right up.

Nobody that works out on a regular basis has a body like CM Punk. There are countless guys that have a full time job and only train a few times a week and they still look better than that fool.

4 years of training at a high level gym with world class coaches and training partners and he can't even throw a punch and is tired after 2 minutes? c'mon, he hasn't been training shit and just wanted 1 last big payday before he disappears

Right? The dudes body looks he barely trains. Training hard BJJ and Striking will still give you strength and you burn tons of calories. Dude looks like he can barely run a 10 minute mile.

Cm punk is just a fucking idiot 5 years of training and hes still clueless without any athleticism a million others coulda done better than that.its a big loss he wanted to short cut to the ufc and hel never fight again. His ego took a big hit mid life crisis having mfker people payed for that... For sakes

Right? The dudes body looks he barely trains. Training hard BJJ and Striking will still give you strength and you burn tons of calories. Dude looks like he can barely run a 10 minute mile.

Everyone says his body looked awful, I really don't think his physique was that bad for a 39 year old.

That this sport requires a degree of athleticism mostly determined by genetics?

Top athletes always say that genetics have nothing to do with it, it's only hard work. But from what everyone says, Punk was one of the hardest workers at the gym, with no other obligations, and he wasn't even competent enough to defend himself.

I really don't consider this a loss for Punk. He went in, got paid, got to live his dream. It's a loss for his coaching staff, since it's now abundantly clear that a coaching staff cannot prepare a man, no matter how motivated, if they don't have a base level of athleticism.

Edit: I was curious given the discussion so I creeped the Roufussport instagram page. Every group practice picture didn't include Punk. Did he actually train hard? Did he train with the amateur guys, or did he just get one on one sessions with Duke?

Punk taught me that if you start training in your late 30's you're gonna need more time than two years. It's just too late for him and he actually looked worse than I thought he would. And I was rooting for him.

Punk taught me that if you start training in your late 30's you're gonna need more time than two years. It's just too late for him and he actually looked worse than I thought he would. And I was rooting for him.

Keep in mind it was four years, not two. Full time.

I remember people would always say Forrest Griffin is unathetlhic but was UFC champ yet hes probably still way athletic then the average Joe.

He is also 6'3" 235lbs at 10% BF. I don't have charts handy but that puts him like at 98ish percentile for muscularity/height I'm guessing.

He started at 35. There are a lot of guys who started in their late 20s who made it to the top of the heap, maybe even some in their early 30s that I can't think of. Yoel didn't start striking until he was in his 30s.

Yoel was super high level wrestler. He already was a really atheletic dude, with insane genetics, and already a super high level wrestler. All he had to do is learn striking.

Punk literally started from 0. He had NOTHING going for him. In this fight, it did not look like he had the edge anywhere over MJ, except maybe heart and chin?

Although I agree, I don't think he his the best example one can use. He's over 40, hasn't been training for that long relative to most fighters (correct me if I"m wrong on this one).

Back