CM Punk taught us an important lesson about fighting.

To get good at anything you need to .... not be delusional and lie to yourself to pad your ego at expense of actual improvement. That's what frauds do.

CM Punk lied and made stories about himself and how good he was, how long he had trained, etc. He's just Charlie Zelenoff or any other meathead minus the physical component

Talking yourself up can sometimes work in things like pro wrestling, or things like sleazy sales jobs. I guess that's why he looks like your typical junky door to door scammer

Yes there was something else going on there with his psyche, it appeared that his uber confidence was not an act and that he genuinely thought he was going to steamroll Gall due to some freakish natural fighting ability he perceived himself to have.

That is something that many of us have as kids but at nearly 40 it is really odd.

No, the lesson that was taugh is that you can’t learn an athletic skillset and perform at a professional level within 1 - 2 years. You have rare cases in boxing and mma (usually heavier weight classes). However, in most sports, when do you ever see a guy competing at a professional level with only a few years of experience? It’s an art that takes years and decades to master. It’s a question of repetitions. Obviously genetics play a part, but let’s not forget CM Punk is almost 40.

Why are we ignoring the fact that CM Punk is an old man?

He can't even compete at the amateur level with other 40 year olds who have the same or less training.

This generation of snowflakes aren't used to hearing that brutal truth. They're taught that you can achieve anything through hard work. Anything else, their brains do not compute.

Well the guy is also 39 years old

This generation of snowflakes aren't used to hearing that brutal truth. They're taught that you can achieve anything through hard work. Anything else, their brains do not compute.

Do you honestly think Punk would be as successful if he started training at 7 and moved to the UFC at 27?

The problem with punk isnt that hes not an athlete, its that hes not a fighter. You don't need to be an athlete to be a fighter. Roy nelson has proven us this much.

Punk showed us hes an abused ex gf takes a few shots from her husband tough. He's not grit down on your mouthpiece im going to fuck kill you robbie lawlor tough. You can push through alot of mike jacksons bs if youre just alpha and walk through his shit. Punk was busy brushing his hair to the side kj noons style like a fucking idiot.

Punk had a dream, he got to live it. We all had to suffer through it. I think the next time dana decides to get a freakshow fight going, we should at least make sure both fighters arent pussies.

Seriously punk looked like some of the highschool fights i saw back in the 90's. he was totally clueless

CM Punk used his celebrity status to jump the line and the UFC used it to make money. This was a perfect example of selling out. There was nothing to be learned from this besides that both parties wanted to make $$$.

Everyone knew what the outcome was going to be and that's why it was a joke from Day 1. He didn't even have actual amateur fighting experience. There are actual guys in WWE that even have some sort of martial arts background or amateur experience, while CM Punk had none.

No amount of training would have helped Punk

Hes too unathletic and uncoordinated.

If he trained in his teens he still likely could not compete in Pride or the earliest UFC.

nice of punk to put Jackson over the top

LOL I give respect to Punk but the guy has zero core strength.

Not only that when shit gets bad in a fight you go to instinct and rely on your fundimentals.

Punk never did you could tell he was thinking the throughout the whole fight.

He was completely lost and flopped around like a dying fish. Even his sub attempts you could tell he tried to force them and think his way throughinstead of just letting them come naturally.

His coaches were bad or just paid him lip service in training.

If they had just drilled 1-2’s and a Jab into him and taught him a hip toss he woulda looked ten times better then what he did.

His leg kicks had zero torque from the hips as well.

He looked like someone who had watched a instructional video and had been told by his mum that he looked great.

In saying that he showed plenty of heart in not quiting and I give him respect for just showing up.

Fuck Dana for setting it up tho Punk shoulda just did what Bautista did.

Also Cut your fucking hair or tie it up. Middle of fight is the wrong time to be brushing it from your eyes.

lol I just posted exactly this a minute ago.

Anyone that's ever been in a gym to really, really train, I mean seriously with the intent of being a professional would be that bad. No one. Flat out. Period. End of story. Dudes could go to Freddy Roach's gym in Los Angeles and in six months drop forty pounds and have the conditioning to kick the shit out of Punk.

Give almost anyone on this board salary for a year and someone like Roach the reins to schedule your training regimen and they'd dismantle Punk. No questions. The guy looked like he rolled off the couch into the cage.

Strongly disagree with your statement concerning his cardio. He went three rounds of mixed striking and grappling. Opinions on his technique notwithstanding, that requires solid cardio far beyond your average in shape Joe.

Punk was one of the hardest workers at the gym, with no other obligations.
it's now abundantly clear that a coaching staff cannot prepare a man, no matter how motivated, if they don't have a base level of athleticism.

Did he actually train hard? Did he train with the amateur guys, or did he just get one on one sessions with Duke?

CM Punk is a 38 year old guy with massive amounts of cash. I seriously doubt he was the hardest worker at roufusports lol. His only motivation is to "live his dream", he's got no real need to fight really.

I never believed in this, I always thought it was an excuse.

I think I was wrong.
No there are just extreme circumstances. I am not athletic and did fine in BJJ, Judo, and boxing. I am not gifted at all and managed to win more than lose. CM punk is just on the extreme end of unathletic. His lack of coordination is ridiculous. Most people aren't naturally athletic.

No it's because he has limited training and is OLD. The dudes not young and this is a young mans game. Yes, natural ability is real but the dude did it all wrong. Start at the amateur level and then go from there. the dudes way too old to be doing this with his limited experience.

CM Punk is a 38 year old guy with massive amounts of cash. I seriously doubt he was the hardest worker at roufusports lol. His only motivation is to "live his dream", he's got no real need to fight really.

Fair enough. I mean, he couldn't have been working that hard.

He started at 35. There are a lot of guys who started in their late 20s who made it to the top of the heap, maybe even some in their early 30s that I can't think of. Yoel didn't start striking until he was in his 30s.

Didnt Joel say he was boxing before wrestling on the JRE podcast? also his brother is a high level boxer, from what i remember Joel dabbled in boxing.

The thing with Punk is he hadn't been doing any martial art before starting MMA (or very casual BJJ from the looks of it), wich most UFC fighters even the ones who started MMA late had done before. Martial arts teach you leverage, balance, distance etc, pretty much all of them to a certain degree.

Back