CM Punk taught us an important lesson about fighting.

not true, kirk hammett is one of the worst guitar players ever and hes in one of the most successful bands ever. i could come up with a million more examples of this.
What exactly is your argument here? He's one of the worst guitar players ever but is actually one of the best because his band is successful?

Success doesn't always mean someone is good at something, Trump successfully became president.

You can be more of an average athlete the more time you’ve put in. Brooks had neither the time or the athleticism. If he grew up doing bjj or boxing he would look different in the cage even with his poor athleticism.

He had four years. That's enough to not suck.

2gt3g5v_jpg.gif

Everyone says his body looked awful, I really don't think his physique was that bad for a 39 year old.
Well he just looks like a dude who eats normal. He's not fat, but he doesn't look like a guy who does any sort of MMA training.

What exactly is your argument here? He's one of the worst guitar players ever but is actually one of the best because his band is successful?

Success doesn't always mean someone is good at something, Trump successfully became president.
no. you said,'No one becomes top tier at anything through pure hard work, natural ability is real.' hes an awful guitarist but became 'top tier' through hard work, even though he has no actual ability whatsoever. being that 'top tier' equates to 'success' whatever the fuck that actually means.

That this sport requires a degree of athleticism mostly determined by genetics?

Top athletes always say that genetics have nothing to do with it, it's only hard work. But from what everyone says, Punk was one of the hardest workers at the gym, with no other obligations, and he wasn't even competent enough to defend himself.

I really don't consider this a loss for Punk. He went in, got paid, got to live his dream. It's a loss for his coaching staff, since it's now abundantly clear that a coaching staff cannot prepare a man, no matter how motivated, if they don't have a base level of athleticism.

Edit: I was curious given the discussion so I creeped the Roufussport instagram page. Every group practice picture didn't include Punk. Did he actually train hard? Did he train with the amateur guys, or did he just get one on one sessions with Duke?

Nothing to do with genetics. Punk just started too late. If he had this work ethic when he was in his teens and applied to combat sports, he would be fine.

4 Years training aint enough for a guy pushing 40.

no. you said,'No one becomes top tier at anything through pure hard work, natural ability is real.' hes an awful guitarist but became 'top tier' through hard work, even though he has no actual ability whatsoever. being that 'top tier' equates to 'success' whatever the fuck that actually means.
So is he a good guitarist or is he not? When I say top tier i'm talking about actual ability not how much fame or success he's been able to generate (the whole point of this thread).

By your definition CM Punk would be a top tier MMA fighter because he has made it to the UFC.

Is it me or does he look like he's in his mid to late 50's?

He had four years. That's enough to not suck.
it is if you have talent. if not, you can still master technique if you have enough training and drilling. he hasn't put in nearly enough time for things to be second nature which is why he looks like a novice in all aspects of fighting. he has no other compensating talents.

Jeremy Horn is the least genetically gifted fighter I can think of and he's had a very successful career.

it is if you have talent. if not, you can still master technique if you have enough training and drilling. he hasn't put in nearly enough time for things to be second nature which is why he looks like a novice in all aspects of fighting. he has no other compensating talents.

You don't think four years is enough time for throwing punches to be natural?

That this sport requires a degree of athleticism mostly determined by genetics?

Top athletes always say that genetics have nothing to do with it, it's only hard work. But from what everyone says, Punk was one of the hardest workers at the gym, with no other obligations, and he wasn't even competent enough to defend himself.

I really don't consider this a loss for Punk. He went in, got paid, got to live his dream. It's a loss for his coaching staff, since it's now abundantly clear that a coaching staff cannot prepare a man, no matter how motivated, if they don't have a base level of athleticism.

Edit: I was curious given the discussion so I creeped the Roufussport instagram page. Every group practice picture didn't include Punk. Did he actually train hard? Did he train with the amateur guys, or did he just get one on one sessions with Duke?

well he hasn't been training to fight for very long. you would need to see how an average athlete who trained for years to have an idea

the UFC and Punk have been selling y'all some wolf tickets, and you guys were eating them right up.

Nobody that works out on a regular basis has a body like CM Punk. There are countless guys that have a full time job and only train a few times a week and they still look better than that fool.

4 years of training at a high level gym with world class coaches and training partners and he can't even throw a punch and is tired after 2 minutes? c'mon, he hasn't been training shit and just wanted 1 last big payday before he disappears
This. And to add on to that, anybody who's trained at all could tell that Punk didn't even know the 101 stuff. No pummeling or shrimping, piss poor balance. There's no way this dude had any consistent training.

Yeah 100%...he just isnt made for this sport. Age had little to do with it...i know many people who started training 35 + for various reasons that improved 20x more in 1 year than CM did in 3 years.

Age is an issue and deterrent if you want to be a world champ or top fighter....but if you are athletic and have born talent e.g. ability to throw a punch, solid chin etc you can get to a competitive level as a fighter.

Back