Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP and Jones playing it safe

This is exactly why GSP fights defensively rather than offensively. He'd like to enjoy his money 10 years after he retires.

Man, it's not even about that. I don't think Chuck is saying, "go out there and fight like me, I put on awesome shows for the fans, people should strive to fight like me." what he's saying is go out there and try to win the fight. Don't program yourself into performing like a robot by only throwing things that have been approved by your coaches and manager. Think on your feet a little bit if you can, if you're in control, if you're dominating the fight, if you've damaged the guy, if you've worn him down and you're on that last round, try to finish the fight man, go for a flying knee, go for a kick to the head, go for a muay thai clinch and bust the dude up, try to submit the guy, throw a spinning back kick, just do something other than the same shit you've been doing for the last 2-4 rounds...

Man, it's not even about that. I don't think Chuck is saying, "go out there and fight like me, I put on awesome shows for the fans, people should strive to fight like me." what he's saying is go out there and try to win the fight. Don't program yourself into performing like a robot by only throwing things that have been approved by your coaches and manager. Think on your feet a little bit if you can, if you're in control, if you're dominating the fight, if you've damaged the guy, if you've worn him down and you're on that last round, try to finish the fight man, go for a flying knee, go for a kick to the head, go for a muay thai clinch and bust the dude up, try to submit the guy, throw a spinning back kick, just do something other than the same shit you've been doing for the last 2-4 rounds...

GSP is trying to win the fight and he does so in a very safe and efficient manner. So what if he doesn't entertain the fans as much as Chuck did? It's not his job to entertain, it's his job to win and he's one of the best ever at that.

GSP and Jones are athletes.

Chuck is a fighter.

I think that's the difference.

If the UFC went bankrupt GSP and Jones would find something else to do.

Chuck would have been fighting behind bars for 50 bucks either way.

Excellent post.

GSP and Jones are athletes.

Chuck is a fighter.

I think that's the difference.

If the UFC went bankrupt GSP and Jones would find something else to do.

Chuck would have been fighting behind bars for 50 bucks either way.

You hit the nail on the head I have said the same thing before.

He does play it safe. He finishes fights, but he doesn't take many risks during the fight. Vitor fight is the perfect example, after nearly getting armbarred, he stopped throwing and sort of gnp and just laid on top of Vitor.

Huh?

Jon went back to work in Vitor's guard shortly after the first armbar attempt. He landed at least a dozen elbows while shutting down 2 other armbar attempts.

Vitor's eye was a mess from them and the doctor had to be called in between rounds to check it.

Then Jones outstruck him including dropping him with a side kick to the body and reigned down elbows after each time Vitor pulled guard.

That was all with basically one good arm too.

Whilst I partially agree with Chuck on the GSP part I disagree with the Jones side of things. I have no issue with Jones not taking that fight against Chael, Chael shocked the world when he gave Anderson a beating for 4.5 rounds and Jones gave him all the credit & respect in the world, so much he didn't want to take a fight against him in short notice...he wants to solidify himself as one of the greats and he has to prepare for every fight like it's his last.

This is exactly why GSP fights defensively rather than offensively. He'd like to enjoy his money 10 years after he retires.

Problem is people can't see it from any other perspective other than their own. They don't seem to realise that Georges' need to have a long and healthy life free from slurred speech far supersedes their own need to see him "stand and bang".

Yes GSP should start to fight like Chuck did and turn his jaw into glass and his brain into mush

yea he wears his damage clearly, but hes also a badass - this is fighting, its not an easy sport, if you want to play it safe, as he says, then no one cares

GSP is trying to win the fight and he does so in a very safe and efficient manner. So what if he doesn't entertain the fans as much as Chuck did? It's not his job to entertain, it's his job to win and he's one of the best ever at that.

It's not all about entertaining the fans, it's about challenging yourself as an athlete. If you go out there programmed to perform a certain way, believing in your ability to impose your gameplan more than you do in your ability to impose yourself then you're no longer fighting to finish your opponent, but fighting to wear him down and have the gameplan finish him if it comes your way.

It's not all about entertaining the fans, it's about challenging yourself as an athlete. If you go out there programmed to perform a certain way, believing in your ability to impose your gameplan more than you do in your ability to impose yourself then you're no longer fighting to finish your opponent, but fighting to wear him down and have the gameplan finish him if it comes your way.

GSP challenges himself as an athlete by taking on the most elite fighters in the world and dominating them wherever the fight takes place every time.

He's fighting guys that are extremely tough to finish aswell, both Nick and Condit have great Jiu Jitsu and amazing chins, ain't nobody finishing them. Hardy is just very tough and has joints made of rubber, GSP tore his groin against Alves and still beat the crap out of him and he smashed BJ and made him quit.

GSP's lack of finishing ability is overstated imo. He challenges himself by doing what he does, just because he doesn't do it in a way you'd like him to for your own need to be entertained doesn't mean he isn't pushing himself to his limits every time.

GSP challenges himself as an athlete by taking on the most elite fighters in the world and dominating them wherever the fight takes place every time.

He's fighting guys that are extremely tough to finish aswell, both Nick and Condit have great Jiu Jitsu and amazing chins, ain't nobody finishing them. Hardy is just very tough and has joints made of rubber, GSP tore his groin against Alves and still beat the crap out of him and he smashed BJ and made him quit.

GSP's lack of finishing ability is overstated imo. He challenges himself by doing what he does, just because he doesn't do it in a way you'd like him to for your own need to be entertained doesn't mean he isn't pushing himself to his limits every time.

Part of his job as the champion is to fight the most elite fighters in the world and to beat them, might as well just say he challenges himself by being a fighter. Really doesn't hold much merit when you compare him to a guy like Anderson Silva who does the exact same thing but finishes guys in spectacular fashion. Why can he do it, and why can't George?

It's not even about entertainment value for me anymore. George legitimately wants to be the best, he wants to the greatest, but he's a stubborn bastard who wont take the risks necessary to be someone like Anderson, Fedor or Jones. It just makes you wonder where George's head is at. He must get some perverted pleasure out of fighting 5 rounds, cuz it sure as hell seems most fighters want that instant gratification that comes with a finish.

Part of his job as the champion is to fight the most elite fighters in the world and to beat them, might as well just say he challenges himself by being a fighter. Really doesn't hold much merit when you compare him to a guy like Anderson Silva who does the exact same thing but finishes guys in spectacular fashion. Why can he do it, and why can't George?

It's not even about entertainment value for me anymore. George legitimately wants to be the best, he wants to the greatest, but he's a stubborn bastard who wont take the risks necessary to be someone like Anderson, Fedor or Jones. It just makes you wonder where George's head is at. He must get some perverted pleasure out of fighting 5 rounds, cuz it sure as hell seems most fighters want that instant gratification that comes with a finish.

Georges is facing far tougher competition, first of all. WW is a shark tank compared to MW and he can't afford to be dancing around like a prat when he's in there with killers like Condit and Hendricks. Him putting his hands down and clowning around would be a very foolish move. It's also not his style to do stuff like that, they're different fighters, you know.

GSP can take down and control NCAA Div 1 wrestlers and school them on the ground, he can do that, why can't Anderson? That's essentially the type of question you're asking. They're different fighters with different skillsets.

Georges is facing far tougher competition, first of all. WW is a shark tank compared to MW and he can't afford to be dancing around like a prat when he's in there with killers like Condit and Hendricks. Him putting his hands down and clowning around would be a very foolish move. It's also not his style to do stuff like that, they're different fighters, you know.

GSP can take down and control NCAA Div 1 wrestlers and school them on the ground, he can do that, why can't Anderson? That's essentially the type of question you're asking. They're different fighters with different skillsets.

I respect both aspects but I do think you need to put the level of competision ahead, the only way I think you could criticize GSP in that reguard is that the challanges at WW tend to be more similar than in most divisions.

Both men play the mental game IMHO, GSP uses the threat of the takedown agenst most opponants to hurt their standup just as Anderson plays off of opponants "matrix" fears.

I think Liddell took to many punches to the face jones doesnt play it safe

Not to mention Chael was not in camp, and had 8 days left, 2 of which he will train, and the rest is fight week and getting to weight and shit.

I like chucks attitude about this, but not all fighters have the gifts that chuck had during his career.

If gsp had chuck liddell ko power, i guarantee he would stand and bang more, and be willing to eat a punch or two to deliver a big shot, but he doesn't, and never will.

Jones did fight Chael and he whipped him.. You have to be smart with your career. This idea of anytime, anywhere, anyplace is a little caveman like Chuck.. Jones has fought everyone he just wants to be smart about it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back