Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP and Jones playing it safe

c34D0.gif

Keep it coming. I know that feel bro.

wand fought Hunt (125 kg) instead of Sakuraba (90 kg?) on hours notice

just sayin.

i remember when sonnen tried to fight jones and i was like oh damn this gonna be fast.

and then jones said he want no part of sonnen on short notice,

then greg J saying sonnen fight will be hard for jones.

Sonnen gets finished fastest of all title defenses...

That's a really interesting point he brings up and a good one. Could totally go either way on this one.

Do you want to be "worth more" to the company because you're exciting? Or do you want to win and extend your longevity in the sport and your health? You could really easily make arguments either way with this.

Guys like Wand and Dan Hardy and Pat Barry don't get cut, but guys like Fitch do. On the other hand, could GSP or Jon Jones really have the careers they have had if they just went out there swinging wildly like barbarians?

GSP is just looking out for himself. He owes the fans nothing and should not alter his style to please a few people who say he's boring or a lay n prayer.

Guys like Wand and Dan Hardy and Pat Barry don't get cut, but guys like Fitch do. On the other hand, could GSP or Jon Jones really have the careers they have had if they just went out there swinging wildly like barbarians?
Aggression and success are not mutually exclusive, and aggression and wild technique are not mutually inclusive.

They're common fallacies perpetuated by MMA fans.

Because his first fight was against a John Hess, who was 6'7" 295, bare knuckle. Then he fought Tra Tillegman and Scott Ferrozo on the same day, bare knuckle. Then he kept fighting for the next 17 years.

Please show respect.

agree 100% vitor's an animal, the dudes been fighting pro since the '90s and is still a top ten figher

GSP and Jones fight smarter. With GSP, he realizes that he can guarantee a win if he takes a guy down while at the same time taking no damage. He could stand and kickbox but he will take unnecessary damage and may be in danger of losing the fight if he gets caught.

Belfort wanted Fedor, he accepts challenges like Fedor or Jones. Name somebody better than them that's turned down. Mousasi has done nothing at MW. Why does he deserve Vitor? I'd love to see it and TRT Belfort is a monster, he'd wreck Mousasi.

Now that the rematch is on, I'm sure the UFC will make this fight.

Mousasi was the #2 ranked MW in the world for a little while there...he won his last nine fights at MW and that was all within a single year i believe.....he was talked about a few years ago as the guy to take out silva....

Chuck's a fighter, St. Pierre and Jones are sportsmen/businessmen.

People who say this type of nonsense dont understand combat sports.

These guys get locked into a cage, bang with professional FIGHTERS and are the best at what they do

If they raised their hands to any fat, couch potato fans in an aggressive manner, they would melt into kool aid

Chuck's a fighter, St. Pierre and Jones are sportsmen/businessmen.

They're all fighters, just that Chuck approached it in a different way to Jones and GSP. Just because he liked to "bang" in the ring doesn't make him more of a fighter compared to the other guys.

I find this and when he critiqued Bones for not taking UFC 151 fight hilarious.

Not bashing or anything just being real.....

So if you're GSP or Bones and you hear the Ultimate UFC company man stammering with his punch drunk talk and that look in his eyes I hope those smart fighters think..Okay I do not want to end up like that. Maybe they ask themselves, So WTF does being the ultimate UFC company man and in tons of exciting wars for the UFC really get you? Brain damage.

I saw that interview and I really liked the points he made about jones not wanting to fight chael

GSP criticism is understandable.

Jones not fighting Sonnen (who isn't in his division) is not. Jones destroyed Sonnen worse than anyone of his opponents, literally 0 offense took place on Sonnen's side. He is also more aggressive and finishes nearly everyone he fights. He deserves no criticism for his fighting abilities or performances, he's the best the UFC has ever seen.

I think Chuck is right man, I feel where he's coming from. All he wants is fighters who are willing to finish the fight, the opportunities are there for the finish you just have to take them. If you can finish the guy, why wouldn't you do it? If you know you're capable of doing it, why not do it?

Look at GSP for instance, when do you see GSP throwing with the intentions to finish the guy? He jabs, maybe throws a superman punch, but other than that he takes people down, controls them, grinds them out with elbows and punches that damage but can't finish. When have we seen implement things into his game that are specifically geared towards finishing a fight? Take a guy like Anderson for instance, when he came out and fought Vitor he finished him with the front kick, we saw videos of him training that move, seagal said they trained it, then lyoto goes out and does the same thing to couture. These guys are putting on shows, these guys are improving in exciting ways. When you come out and work a fucking jab to a guys eye to the point that you blind him and still don't finish the fight there's something seriously wrong with you, are you a damn robot or something? Where's the fun in that ya know, you just went out there whooped some dudes ass and didn't even finish the fight when you totally could've because all you ever trained to do was a damn jab.

What he said about Jones was also right. What kind of a champion refuses to fight a guy who is filling in on short notice? Yeah, he didn't train specifically for him, but you know what, I think the fact that he's not in his best shape and didn't train for Jones is more than enough to balance that out. Since he refused to fight the card was scrapped and everyone got screwed, that was wrong on Jones's part, he should've just fought and just not put the belt on the line if he felt that strongly about it. Problem solved.

Yes GSP should start to fight like Chuck did and turn his jaw into glass and his brain into mush

This is exactly why GSP fights defensively rather than offensively. He'd like to enjoy his money 10 years after he retires.

GSP criticism is understandable.

Jones not fighting Sonnen (who isn't in his division) is not. Jones destroyed Sonnen worse than anyone of his opponents, literally 0 offense took place on Sonnen's side. He is also more aggressive and finishes nearly everyone he fights. He deserves no criticism for his fighting abilities or performances, he's the best the UFC has ever seen.

Translation:

I don't like GSP so it's cool to say it about him. I like Jones so you can't say that.

Got it!

I don't see how Jones is playing it safe he's finished 9 out of his last 11 fights, 10 if not for the bogus Hamill loss. Chuck Liddell only has 14 finishes in his entire career Jon Jones already has 15.

He was hating on Jones for not taking the Sonnen fight on late notice. Nothing about his fighting style.

His excuse that he was a southpaw, and he wasn't training for a southpaw,.......it's Chael...Chael Sonnen.

LMAO! Agreed with Chuck. Wand was training for Sakuraba, a 180 pound grappler. Then 2 days before the fight, Saku got injured and was replaced by Mark Hunt, a 280 pound striker. Wand didn't mind.

I don't see how Jones is playing it safe he's finished 9 out of his last 11 fights, 10 if not for the bogus Hamill loss. Chuck Liddell only has 14 finishes in his entire career Jon Jones already has 15.

He does play it safe. He finishes fights, but he doesn't take many risks during the fight. Vitor fight is the perfect example, after nearly getting armbarred, he stopped throwing and sort of gnp and just laid on top of Vitor.

Back