Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP and Jones playing it safe

Chuck is simply giving his opinion, and he doesn't give a fuck if yours is different

Theres nothing wrong with what Jones and GSP does.

Disagree with Chuck here.

True but that's with a full training camp & game plan. Both GSP & Jones are "strategy" fighters. Both will get you down, both will beat you up, one will finish.

Chuck is 100% correct with GSP and Jones.

Everyone is a strategy fighter even Chuck..

You think Chuck's game plan for the Tito fights was to try and get the TD and GNP him? You game plan to your strengths.. Chuck biggest weapon was always his striking..

GSP is trying to win the fight and he does so in a very safe and efficient manner. So what if he doesn't entertain the fans as much as Chuck did? It's not his job to entertain, it's his job to win and he's one of the best ever at that.

Actually professional sports are here to entertain the masses, that is the whole point of them. This sports primary occupation isn't the fighters having perfect records, it is entertaining the fans.

If Jones had a chance in hell of playing in the NFL/NBA he wouldn't have been a college dropout living in his girlfriend's basement. Only recruiters that ever talked to him were in d1 wrestling.

He didn't say that Jones would be playing another sport if there weren't money in MMA. He said he'd being doing something else, and it's true. The whole reason that Jones started training was because his girl was pregnant and he needed cash.

If MMA were still what it was during the "dark ages" of the mid-90s with guys fighting for no money and getting no media exposure outside of "human cockfighting" stories, Jones would probably be working a regular 9-to-5 somewhere. Same goes for most of the guys who are competing right now.

The rules have created the types of fights we have now. The fighters are very adaptable, and will always look in the rules for advantages. Change the rules and your have different fights.

It should always be about the win IMO, being "exciting" or "entertaining" seems pretty wwe to me.

He does play it safe. He finishes fights, but he doesn't take many risks during the fight. Vitor fight is the perfect example, after nearly getting armbarred, he stopped throwing and sort of gnp and just laid on top of Vitor.

What fucking fight were you watching? He went back to playing the same game in Vitor's guard immediate after the armbar attempt and landed GnP throughout the entire fight. He also had no problem standing with Vitor and playing Vitor's game for an extended period of time with one good arm and was so effective that Vitor was reduced to pulling guard.

Chuck beasting and telling it like it is, as usual. That's what's up.

I agree with Chunk but at the same time, he tarnished his legacy by staying in too long and taking risks. Meanwhile GSP plays it safe and is constant consideration for GOAT.

As far as Jones, you can blame Greg Jackson for hyping Sonnen up. It was his idea for Jones to turn down the fight and Jones listened. Without Jackson I think Jones would have been up for it.

Please. Jones said he would fight Chael 3 weeks later, and Chael turned that fight down. He either wanted to fight Jones on incredibly short notice or make extra money by doing TUF.

There are reasons guys like Chuck and Wandy are so loved. Their style and attitude about fighting.

There are reasons why guys like GSP sometimes get questioned. He treats it as a business and does what it takes to win with minimal risk. It's just smart business to win at all costs, minimize your risk, and minimize your damage. Of course GSP is one of the most loved MMA fighters by the general public though....and don't just say by Canada. If you ask fans in general they all know who GSP is. Plus I think every woman I've asked about MMA quotes GSP as their favorite fighter.

I completely agree with what Chuck said!

So a guy who got KO'd what?4 times in a row is telling you not to play it safe?
ok Chuck.

GSP and Jones are athletes.

Chuck is a fighter.

I think that's the difference.

If the UFC went bankrupt GSP and Jones would find something else to do.

Chuck would have been fighting behind bars for 50 bucks either way.
Excellent post!! Chuck is a fighter and that's why he will always be one of the first to pop into people's heads when MMA is brought up. He fought when even Dana didn't want him to fight (Babalu)! Instead of making fun of his "glass jaw" late in his career, people should be thankful he was there when the UFC needed someone to carry it through the dark ages. Chuck will always be the man!!!

Fair enough points I guess but I disagree that Jones has to hold to the stigma to fight anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Chuck was a true pioneer of the sport but he can't really be taken seriously when it comes to this new generation the sport has evolved into. Guys like Jones, Rory, Gustafsson, Condit.

Back